JS Monsta Box..HYFI?

surfercross

OTF status
Oct 19, 2006
I have one. Had it for 2 months. The deck under the front foot is dented nicely. A couple rail cracks from my shins. I find the board to be really sensitive to the style of fins. Its not a really good board for much waves in my opinion.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
My mate has a hyfi MB and likes it. It's a 6'0 31.3L. Felt much smaller under arm than my 6'0 stock poly which I sold immediately as it was way too big. Hyfi is good but the black box without carbon stringer sank under the front foot too fast. New version should go really well.

Feb 24, 2012
Had a HYFI Monsta Box for a while (needed to custom order) and the thing goes amazing - best performance groveller I've had, but surfed it at clean, overhead Kirra too and it still went great. Super springy and drivey through turns when the waves are weak, and somehow just gets better in decent surf. Probably would go for a standard shortie in PU if it got much bigger than head high, or if waves were real bumpy, but I absolutely love the thing. Held up great so far too (approx 5 months of surfing it most days). If it helps I'm 6'0"/75kg and got a 5'10" x 19" x 2 5/16" x 27L.. Tried a stock 5'9" at 26.5L and that felt great too, but the touch extra length is good at my height. Will definitely get another HYFI

Jan 8, 2016
Anyone tried both hyfi BB2 and hyfi MB? I have hyfi BB2 that I love for smaller days but wondering how different hyfi MB is for small to average days compare to BB2

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Just bought one. I'll put up a review here asap. Borrowed a mate's Hyfi BB last week for a couple of waves (the size I used to have 5'11 x 20 x 2.5) and it felt absolutely massive. I had been thinking of getting another because I really liked that board aside from durability but I couldn't believe how boaty it felt now that I've been on smaller boards! Compared to my Lost carbon wrap it felt less "epoxyish" though. My Hyfi MBox will be 5'11 x 19.5 x 2.44 29.7L. Will review ASAP.

surfercross

OTF status
Oct 19, 2006
I dinged mine on the rail 3 times already with just hitting the board with my hand. They aren't that strong

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I watched my friend buckle his when he went over the falls on a 3 foot wave. This was right after he let me ride it (black box 2) and I will say, it shred quite nicely.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Yeah Monsta Box has the stringer on top which seems a bit better - my buddy has one and it was good when I felt it up.

Apr 3, 2014
So is the hyfi stronger than an lft construction? Does anyone know, bit over the extra cost and rubbish durability in epoxy, in some ways my pu have held up better

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
BennyGB said:
So is the hyfi stronger than an lft construction? Does anyone know, bit over the extra cost and rubbish durability in epoxy, in some ways my pu have held up better
In what ways do you feel the durability is rubbish? Hyfi was really strong ding wise for me on my Blak Box - no idea about this Mbox don't have it yet.

Things I've noticed about these "high end" epoxy boards as I've owned quite a few now

1. They don't crack when compressed but they tend to compress way more under the front foot than a PU
2. You need to ride them small or else they feel chattery and boaty. Bought one at the high end of my volume range and it sucked in anything over waist high. If I go HP volume they feel better up to head high.
3. Thai versions tend to have really average finish and rails. No consistency.
4. The "spring" they give you is only a positive if the waves don't have proper push
5. Likes a stiffer fin
6. Way more annoying to fix than a PU and really sh!t if you ding while in the water

Apr 3, 2014
I mean lft is so soft, took a brand new one on a weeks trip and it was so soft on the deck and really soft underneath, finger dents under the rails etc. Maybe because I've ridden fst in the past.

That's why i asked if hyfi is stronger than lft, blak box looks really good all rounder, nice if it was strong too

Jan 8, 2016
I had lft evo and have hyfi bb2, i rate the hyfi definitely stronger than lft and pu. i had the evo for a couple of months and dents too easily is why i sold it. however bb2 is going strong still after 4 months, white and other than the front foot pressures no dents. In this epoxy construction, bb2 is amazing in small waves..i would definitely get another maybe mbox.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Well had a good first wave on the Mbox today until a POS kook dropped in on me and smashed a hole in the nose of it. Hopefully not too much water in the EPS as I got right out (after verbally destroying the guy) but she's already off to the ding shop! Could have been much worse (LFT would have EXPLODED) I reckon the thing is pretty strong because he hit me HARD and the ding/hole isn't too big. After he was spluttering his sorries he didn't hold onto his board and it smashed into the rail after as well and that took it like a champ. He didn't want to get out of the water to have a proper "talk" so I'll have to wait until I see him next. One thing though is the bottom of the board has this weird pattern all over the glassing which is raised and rough. I reckon it's the hot coat and it's not the best finish. Needs a proper sand so not too stoked with that. Will give a proper report once I get her back - Gutted!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Anyone still riding these? Had a 5’11 a while back and dug it except one fin was over toed so sent it back. Wouldn’t mind getting another. Maybe 5’11x19.5

Does js still do sizing over curve instead of nose to tail.

May 10, 2018
I've got a custom monstabox round tail that I use for good waves (4-6 foot Aussie size). I love it. Dims are 5'11 1/2 x 19 1/4 x 2 3/8, comes out at 29L. A bit narrower and thinner than stock dimensions. I'm 5'11 and 79kg.

I also have a Black Box 3 and have had 2 Black Box 2s, all 5'9s.

JS boards just work for me.

Now I need a step up.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Had 2 PU at 5’10 x 19.25 x 2.38 and one HYFI at 2.44. They both go good, the hyfi is a rocket in clean surf with lighter wind. The PU is a bit more versatile in a variety of conditions. Good step down shorty, nothing bad to say about this shape. I’ve found most JS very easy to ride, have probably had 10 or so throughout the years.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
thanks guys for the feedback. might have to grab another one. these just seem to work for me. contemplating this or a stapler but i recall the mbox had better range where the stapler was strickly a small wave boar