JS Carbotune

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Kinda laughable at this point seeing the big brands all follow suit with the latest trend twins, stringleless epoxies, mid lengths, carbon wrapped stinglerless epoxy. Next week all the team riders claiming it’s a game changer will be back on the same poly HPSB that hasn’t significantly changed in years and that new tech slowly exit stage left:

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Kinda laughable at this point seeing the big brands all follow suit with the latest trend twins, stringleless epoxies, mid lengths, carbon wrapped stinglerless epoxy. Next week all the team riders claiming it’s a game changer will be back on the same poly HPSB that hasn’t significantly changed in years and that new tech slowly exit stage left:

I will say though that the Hyfy board a friend permanent loaned me years ago, is the best construction of a surfboard I've owned. Even though it clearly had manufacturing defects, with pieces of the external epoxy flaking off at stress areas and dark areas immediately after purchase, it still held up well. I was expecting it to fall apart but it's light and strong and has been extremely durable and maintained its liveliness and brightness over the years. I've never repaired it and have left the defects as is. And honestly it's lighter, way whiter and more durable than the less than one year old XTR I have (the JS is maybe 5 years old now?). obviously not a scientific comparison at all and I don't go through as many boards as most of you, but I've tried a fair share of alternate constructions and poly boards with various foam densities and glassing schedules.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
What's the over/under on Made in Thailand with no country of origin decals?

There's no way JS has set up an industrial-scale vac bagging on the Goldy.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
What's the over/under on Made in Thailand with no country of origin decals?

There's no way JS has set up an industrial-scale vac bagging on the Goldy.
Do we know whether these are vac bagged?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I will say though that the Hyfy board a friend permanent loaned me years ago, is the best construction of a surfboard I've owned. Even though it clearly had manufacturing defects, with pieces of the external epoxy flaking off at stress areas and dark areas immediately after purchase, it still held up well. I was expecting it to fall apart but it's light and strong and has been extremely durable and maintained its liveliness and brightness over the years. I've never repaired it and have left the defects as is. And honestly it's lighter, way whiter and more durable than the less than one year old XTR I have (the JS is maybe 5 years old now?). obviously not a scientific comparison at all and I don't go through as many boards as most of you, but I've tried a fair share of alternate constructions and poly boards with various foam densities and glassing schedules.
For a groveler seems it can't be beat.

I was incredibly skeptical and bought a Flaming Pony new for $400.

The lamination is impeccable.

I have ridden the sh!t out of the board, had it in waves up to head high and the thing is still in flawless condition.

Not a single pressure dent, crack, ding of any sort.

It's been thrown on a few airplanes in multiboard bags too.

Not interested in one for anything other than a groveler though, seen too many boards for bigger waves buckled.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
While I want to be pro-aussie shaper, I'm a little bit off this for a couple of reasons

1. JS talking about how hard it was to sort out the carbon layups and how innovative it is - when he's probably just reverse-engineered a Dark Farts
2. It's obviously being made OS for a massive margin, a-la-Firewire. He's got nothing to do with it really. I would bet the guys at Cobra in Chon Buri., Thailand walked JS through the whole process.

Sorry if it sounds like a rant. It's so transparent that it annoys me, especially for the price.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
@Hazrus , I won't be buying one, but some perspective - JS's Boner boards are $1600 AUD, while Dark Arts Boners are $2000 AUD at Surfboard Empire.

Hammo's having his made on the Gold Coast for $1695 through Spot X Productions
Dane Hamilton (@hammosurfboards) • Instagram photos and videos
Spot X Productions (@sxproductionsau) • Instagram photos and videos

I'm not claiming JS's price is inexpensive or a steal ( heck, I've gone off the brand lately for no particular reason), but his prices seem quite competitive.

Last edited:

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
@Hazrus , I won't be buying one, but some perspective - JS's Boner boards are $1600 AUD, while Dark Arts Boners are $2000 AUD at Surfboard Empire.

Hammo's having his made on the Gold Coast for $1695 through Spot X Productions
Dane Hamilton (@hammosurfboards) • Instagram photos and videos
Spot X Productions (@sxproductionsau) • Instagram photos and videos

I'm not claiming JS's price is inexpensive or a steal ( heck, I've gone off the brand lately for no particular reason), but his prices seem quite competitive.
Fair call.

Regardless - I reckon the Thailand Markup on these would be huge.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Neither of the two models being released in this construction really appeal to me but I figure JS deserves some benefit of the doubt since HyFy is one of the better EPS constructions. In my opinion.

Reactions: Hazrus and waxfoot