JRE #1671

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I posted a link to a news story. It’s in Spanish.

I was responding to a question about if there were any countries that have approved ivermectin. Mexico is apparently sending it out to its people.
Maybe you’re reading into it too much.
I’m curious to the validity of you image due to nothing coming up in any search and my friends in Mex having no idea what you’re talking about, despite it being “sent out to everyone”.

that doesn’t take much “reading into it”.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Looks like insurance companies are paying for ivermectin for covid 19 treatment….
Not "are paying for," but have paid for.

January 15, 2022
The Reason Insurers Cover Unproven Medication
Thomas Hilton, PhD | Retired, NIH
While it seems irrational to pay for medication that is ineffective, the cost in the case of ivermectin is below annual premium rates - i.e., still profitable. Given the drug's political baggage, failing to pay claim risks permanently alienating both current and potential clients. Had the cost been much higher, claims might have been rejected, just as we have seen reticence to cover the cost of aducanumab, which is also of comparablt dubious effectiveness but costs the price of a new car.
--------
January 16, 2022
Business case for prior-authorization
David Anderson, MSPPM | Duke University Department of Population Health Sciences
The business case for any single insurer to institute a prior authorizatoin requirement or other prescription limitations for ivermectin, and other fad drugs for COVID, is not as straightforward as the authors seem to imply with the sentence " Findings suggest that insurers heavily subsidized the costs of ivermectin prescriptions for COVID-19, even though economic theory holds that insurers should not cover ineffective care." The authors estimate a $129,000,000 excess cost for ivermectin in a single year for Medicare Advantage and privately insured patients. Using KFF 2019 coverage estimates, this is between 56% to 61% of the population depending on how the ACA marketplace coverage is counted. At 56% of the population, the per member per month (PMPM) cost is less than $0.06 PMPM. There are real costs to set up and administer holds. Large insurers may be able to amortize the costs over sufficient number of denied claims to justify the hurdle costs.

There are two other factors that may be related to the continued payment of claims for an ineffective treatment. First, if insurers assume that ivermectin prescriptions will resemble the trajectory of hydroxychloroquine where there was a significant spike and then a rapid fade as new evidence on ineffectiveness was presented (1), the PMPM of plausible savings would decrease. Secondly, COVID has become heavily polarized and politicized including the prescription of ineffective folk cures (2). Insurers may be motivated to minimize media attention on a matter that has no material effect on premiums.

References

1. Bull-Otterson L, Gray EB, Budnitz DS, et al. Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine Prescribing Patterns by Provider Specialty Following Initial Reports of Potential Benefit for COVID-19 Treatment - United States, January-June 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020;69(35):1210-1215. Published 2020 Sep 4. doi:10.15585/mmwr.mm6935a4

2. Harrigan, J.J., Hubbard, R.A., Thomas, S. et al. Association Between US Administration Endorsement of Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 and Outpatient Prescribing. J Gen Intern Med 35;2826–2828 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-020-05938-4.
---------

It would be difficult to be as dishonest as you are. Who could tolerate you

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
pretty much the whole world has agreed that the data shows that Ivermectin is not useful

no one is using it anymore....not even the third world

but here's Duffy still shitting his diaper over a therapeutic that does not work while whinging about vaccines that drastically reduce symptoms and likelihood of hospitalization/death

please join us in 2022, Duffy

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
pretty much the whole world has agreed that the data shows that Ivermectin is not useful

but here's Duffy still shitting his diaper over a therapeutic that does not work while whinging about vaccines that drastically reduce symptoms and likelihood of hospitalization/death

When the gullible get fooled there is no convincing them otherwise,

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

I missed the official end of the hydroxy talking point and now you're telling me ivermectin is done?

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the sad thing is that I provided a ton of links and referential material when duffy brought up this stupid argument in December, but here we are with Duffy repeating the same debunked nonsense

I can't understand how/why people do sh!t like this

Reactions: hal9000

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
It's about belonging, about being part of a group. About solidarity. I've never met an anti-covid vaxxer who reconsidered the evidence and got vaccinated. (Though I'm sure some have). I think that they appreciate being part of a group and don't want to lose that group identity.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
the sad thing is that I provided a ton of links and referential material when duffy brought up this stupid argument in December, but here we are with Duffy repeating the same debunked nonsense

Clinical trials are ongoing.

I have always said that I don’t know whether or not ivermectin works. I’m just not of the mind to immediately declare it bad, dangerous, horse paste.

Again, clinical trials are ongoing (including one being done by the NIH).

This is from the NIH (last august)…

Conclusions:
Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.
This one published a month earlier couldn’t make any conclusions that it was effective.