JRE 1518 David Choe

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
There are a couple of comedians that come on JR and it is funny.

Rogan is bright and has a motor.

I really admire his motor. My friend who is a little guy like Rogan has that same motor. I try to use it to bias my laziness.

But his podcast would be better if he had gotten a humanities degree (English or History?) (at least a BA) at a decent college.

Street smarts are good but they have their limitations.

You see his limitations when he talks to educated people.
I’m sorry but Joe Rogan is a moron, the special kind of stupid that can’t be fixed. The kind that comes from a deep seated belief that you are much smarter than you actually are. He’s just really really good at stringing impressive words together in a semi coherent pseudo intellectual way. This is coming from someone who wanted to like his podcast initially based on its subject matter/approach but much like GoT decided it sucked in short order. I’m not going to lie and say he doesn’t get interesting guests, the problem is you have to listen to them talk to Joe Rogan.

“Well that’s just your opinion man.”

I give you exhibit A:

Mind you at this point Rogan has trained with Kettlebells for at least a decade, and has had renowned coach Steve Maxwell on his show at least 4 times starting in 2014.

I sent the following version to a friend b/c it’s hilarious and despite his only physical activities being bong rips and frisbee golf his reply was “It looks like he’s trying to injure himself” lol. Joe has a lot of injuries, coincidence?

Also not a fan of his promoting a drug (DMT) where a bad trip will make you: “feel like you’re trapped in hell for an eternity”, “think that aliens are dissecting you in an attempt to find and remove your soul”, etc.

You don’t even want to know my thoughts on his: rampant hypocrisy, steroid abuse/extreme case of body dysmorphia, and the fact that he’s a relentless shill for and part owner of an extremely shady/suspect supplement company. That’s O N N I T . C O M, use Rube as a coupon code and get 10% off Alpha Brain the neutropic we tested on on a dozen people at a lab where my manager’s kid works that’s only done one study. It was formulated by a chiropractor who also invented the Fleshlight and just so happens to be the stepmom of the dude who owns the company with me so you know it’s worth it.

More food for thought:

Weaponized anthropology used domestically?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
So you're telling us the guy who says, once per podcast at least, that he is a moron and knows nothing....is....a moron, who knows nothing?

You are perceptive.

• Haha

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
So you're telling us the guy who says, once per podcast at least, that he is a moron and knows nothing....is....a moron, who knows nothing?

You are perceptive.
He contradicts himself constantly. How many time has he preached the importance of struggle and competition? What’s he competed in since quitting karate?

• Haha

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
No way, the comedian who talks to random people from many walks of life for hours on end, no script, for 1800 episodes, isn't always consistent?

Keep giving us the goods man. Got a youtube video breakdown to share?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
No way, the comedian who talks to random people from many walks of life for hours on end, no script, for 1800 episodes, isn't always consistent?

Keep giving us the goods man. Got a youtube video breakdown to share?

vs

Pretty sure when Joe was a blue belt he only took privates.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The scariest thing about Joe Rogan or anyone else’s podcast for that matter is if you listen to it on a regular basis, you’re literally brainwashing yourself to think like the host(s). It’s called Indoctrination. “Look Into It”.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Or you could hear some interesting conversations, laugh at some jokes, be exposed to new things.
Unless you're just an @sshole.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
The scariest thing about Joe Rogan or anyone else’s podcast for that matter is if you listen to it on a regular basis, you’re literally brainwashing yourself to think like the host(s). It’s called Indoctrination. “Look Into It”.
Yeah, no.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
He's best when he's talking to actors or other comedians or fighters. I also think he is a really astute caller out of bullshit. But when he gets really smart people, it's hilarious to hear them struggling to dumb it down for the absolute fvckwit sitting across the table from them. Whenever I hear someone interesting on Rogan, I Google other interviews with them to hear them answer questions from decent interviewers. It's also funny to hear Navy Seals pretend to be intellectuals with Rogan. Talking to you, Jocko Willink.

He's also clearly reached a level of income where he is no longer burdened by hanging out with normal people, and that shows.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The scariest thing about Joe Rogan or anyone else’s podcast for that matter is if you listen to it on a regular basis, you’re literally brainwashing yourself to think like the host(s).
A good college education teaches you to listen to ideas critically.

You learn how to see how other people think about ideas.

I thought Willink was on point when it came to the importance of training to manage stressful situation. Good training can make people perform better.

Im not a seal fanboy.

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
when did Jacko try to act like an "intellectual" (which you imply he cannot be because he is a navy seal...hmm)?
Do you mentally skip over the parts of conversations where people say "these are my ideas, I know I'm not the smartest or most righteous person, but this is what I think and why"

Is an intellectual a tenured professor at a liberal university, and nothing else?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
To me, the most enduring thing about Joe Rogan is that he's like a common denominator and not super intelligent.
That one friend who can get along with everybody. The anti-thesis of polarizing.

My favorite is when he has other comedians on and they talk sh!t to each other.

Reactions: stringcheese

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
when did Jacko try to act like an "intellectual" (which you imply he cannot be because he is a navy seal...hmm)?
Do you mentally skip over the parts of conversations where people say "these are my ideas, I know I'm not the smartest or most righteous person, but this is what I think and why"

Is an intellectual a tenured professor at a liberal university, and nothing else?
I know plenty of Navy Seals. I live on Oahu. There are about 50 living on this island at any given time, and probably a third of them surf and live on the North Shore. Some are highly intellectual, obviously not professors, just extremely well read. Others are not. Jocko Willink has, many times, gone on Rogan's podcast and talked about all kinds of social and economic issues he is totally unqualified to talk about, but as a public figure, people listen to him and value his opinion. I value his opinion too -- on training, fighting, military procedure and policy, and military operations. It's very interesting and he is an expert. But that's it. As soon as he says things like "you know throughout history..." it's pretty much an eye roll. Because he keeps talking and it becomes clear he is not well read in that subject.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I know plenty of Navy Seals. I live on Oahu. There are about 50 living on this island at any given time, and probably a third of them surf and live on the North Shore. Some are highly intellectual, obviously not professors, just extremely well read. Others are not. Jocko Willink has, many times, gone on Rogan's podcast and talked about all kinds of social and economic issues he is totally unqualified to talk about, but as a public figure, people listen to him and value his opinion. I value his opinion too -- on training, fighting, military procedure and policy, and military operations. It's very interesting and he is an expert. But that's it. As soon as he says things like "you know throughout history..." it's pretty much an eye roll. Because he keeps talking and it becomes clear he is not well read in that subject.
I hear you. I objected to him being characterized as a phony intellectual. You didn't really do that though. We're talking about several hour long conversations between these people who admit that they are often not well educated on the subjects about which they're conversing. Sometimes (a lot) Joe and his guests get way out over their skis.

Reactions: jamesgang

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

I wish that, in general, more people would stick to publicly speaking about topics that they are experts in and deferring to the experts in other areas that they are not experienced with. It's really annoying to hear people pop off about what they "think" (never mind what people who study this actually publish) when we live in a time of unprecedented access to knowledge and information, yet the impulse becomes, "let me find the information that proves my feelings are valid". Normalizing the idea of saying "that's probably not something I am qualified to speak on" would be incredible. But I think the genie is out of the bottle with so many ways to record , publish, and monetize ones stream of consciousness.

Granted. We're talking about a very lightly organized "talk show" where people are just talking sh!t. And I don't know who this guy is other than someone who devoted most of his life to learn how to better injure and kill people and appears to now be a self promoting self-help guru.