Joel Tudor still a turd

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
"fleeting but cordial"

You're a photographer. Pros will whore their 'friendship' to anyone with desire to take shots of them surfing. Feed ego and keep the pro status is muy importante.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
A very old Friend of mine passed last year and I had stayed with him and his wife five weeks earlier. It was tough to go back to his paddle out at Doheny. He was a well known longboarder, had his own name on boards from different manufactures and was very well liked by the folks that knew him.
I went early to help the Family set up displays, bring out a longboard to be signed by all, picture storyboards from years back and his assorted trophies and his beloved Duke trophy . I got to see old friends and talk story and then I saw Joel and he walked right over and said, "I'm sorry for your loss Uncle Peter, I know you and Jackie go way back" and gave me a hug. Now I hadn't talked nor seen Joel in decades since he was Donald Takayama's "hanai son" (adopted Hawaiian style) and I was quite stoked that he came right over and said something. Tom Morey and his wife came over and we chatted. Tom's an old friend as well and he and Joel had a good ole slap on the back and Tom gave Joel the old noogie to the head thing and they had a good laugh and Tom hugged Joel like he was his son. Mickey Munoz, Steve Pezman and many other came over to say hello to each other and Joel as well. He was polite, accommodating and "just another joe in the crowd" with folks.
Now on another note, whether he rides a longboard, shortboard, fish or and egg, Joel is one of the most proficient people ever to ride a surfboard, period. Yes, he's been an ass in the ocean, a bit egotistical at time but Joel over the years, finally figured out chit, scaled back his attitude, grew as a Father and represents surfing as he should, being the poster child. Joel is still kind of rambunctious, but he has a good heart and soul and I'm happy to call him, A Friend.
PPK

Fetcher & Tracy showed up ~ LOL

Last edited:

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
I’m sure I’ve saw pictures of Joel in a magazine, but nothing sticks out in my mind. I could care less how well he surfs, the guy is a douche. Gabriel Medina surfs well also. I don’t like his judgemental attitude
Be like me or your lame thing that is constant. His attitude is stifling. Conform to my image is bullshit. He’s a bro in hipster clothing. A poser, a phony. Yes you could quit high school and be 110 pounds and be good at riding the easiest thing possible too and act like your not a copy of a copy. So fucking boring.
I get the feeling you read his insta. He posts a lot and is very condescending if you don't agree with him. If you don't surf his style; ie, single fin, then you are a not a real surfer in his eyes. He has all these rules you have to follow to be cool, of course, like him.

Reactions: tsenn

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I get the feeling you read his insta. He posts a lot and is very condescending if you don't agree with him. If you don't surf his style; ie, single fin, then you are a not a real surfer in his eyes. He has all these rules you have to follow to be cool, of course, like him.
Have you ever met him?

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
I've met him a bunch of times. Seems harmless enough. I haven't been in the water with him so I can't speak to that. But most average+ surfers usually find most pros to be a-holes in the water because they are getting waves easily, usually the best set waves too. Just how it is.....they do it for a living, you do it for fun.

If you haven't met him and are just the hater type, I'm fairly certain Joel Tudor doesn't care even a little someone on the erBB thinks he's a a-hole.

btw, sorry for your loss PPK!

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Was out at Crowdiff years ago when the SUP thing was just getting started. Paddled out with a buddy, we see Joel on a SUP, my buddy teasingly says "you look kinda bow-legged on that thing Joel!" He sat down and we started chatting about SUPs, the upcoming popularity of them, etc. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Joel struck me as confident, and a realist.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Has anyone stolen the douche crown from Joel? He’s had it for quite a while.

I met Joel when he was a little kid, maybe 6 or 7 years old. I had been invited to his Dad's house to review insurance for his business. We ended up talking surf mostly and he showed me Joels longboard. Nice board, I replied, so I asked, where is his shortboard? His Dad said he didn't want him to ride one.

I left it at that.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I met Joel when he was a little kid, maybe 6 or 7 years old. I had been invited to his Dad's house to review insurance for his business. We ended up talking surf mostly and he showed me Joels longboard. Nice board, I replied, so I asked, where is his shortboard? His Dad said he didn't want him to ride one.

I left it at that.
I too have known the Tudors for about 3 decades. While Joel was ‘destined’ to longboard his older brother Josh was the family short boarder. Josh‘s talent on the short board rivaled any pro short boarder at the time. Josh simply was not interested in professional surfing.

drunjk

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 27, 2017
i smok crack with joel tubor all t time, hes not that bad considering he has one leg and barks at cars on stret corners with charlie von krep (footpowder goldfish)