Jobs for the average surfer

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Hey everyone, just wondering what jobs provide the best opportunities for surfing around the world, or jobs that provide time to surf everyday?
Find a job that's close to the beach, and a house that is close to both... then the actual job doesn't matter so much.

I work in software development for an insurance company, so not that glamorous or sexy that shouts surf, but I can surf before, during and after work if the conditions allow. The 'during work' is a little bit of a stretch for most employers, but software dev tends to be more flexible than most job environments, and my workplace is more flexible than most others, but before and after work at the majority of employer in a good geographical location shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Find a job that's close to the beach, and a house that is close to both... then the actual job doesn't matter so much.

Find a job, so you'll be able to afford to rent or buy a house, that's close to the beach.
:sneaky:

Reactions: waxfoot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Find a job, so you'll be able to afford to rent or buy a house, that's close to the beach.
:sneaky:
Best for me - now.

Second best - Steam Generator Entry Tech at SanO Unit 1 in 1979. Work was from 6pm to 6am ten bucks an hour. Surf Trestles or SanO before work. Go to work, take a shower, burn a Thai joint, and play spades for $$$. For what I did you didn’t get called to work more than 3 days in a 3 month period so win a hundred bucks playing cards, 120 clams for your shift, and off to the trestle at 6am after a nice sleep.

When they did call you to work it was fucking intense. Full dress space suit with the full zoomie effect. In and out. Very heavy.

Between the evening to the morning you got paid. Surf afternoon and morning. Two week mexi trip every 3 months.

Reactions: keenfish

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
As a govt employee, your schedule is flexible. I can come in any time between 530 and 830. Those are core working hours. Every other Friday off. Your leave time is yours. Surf good. Take 2-3 hours.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Whatever job you choose living within walking distance of a surf spot helps a ton. I have friends that are firemen and work 24 on 48 off shifts with great pay & benefits, pension after 25 years and plenty of vacation time. If I had it to do over I'd probably take that route.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Good friend is a practitioner of the Janitorial arts. He goes to work at a local elementarty school when eveyrbody leaves. He is the king of slack.

He has been caught out in the middle of the night sleeping in the teachers lounge. A faculty member showed up while he was sleeping on the couch and turned the lights on. Kook...

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Mobile Notary Public or professional guest as I call it. I have hundreds of individual and corporate clients that use my services regularly. Even at 69 years old I’m as busy as I’ve ever been. It’s a perfect a part time job for a surfer.