Jobs for the average surfer

PPK96754

Michael Peterson status
Apr 15, 2015
Well, 60 years ago I started in Food & Beverage at $.75 cents an hour. Have been in in and out of the restaurant trade for years because got a free meal or two on a shift, made descent coin from tips and wages and could surf most every day.

As a carpenters helper / laborer when I first got in $15.00 an hour and I worked my azz off but did my job and eventually got a raise to $20.00 an hour and most of my jobs were Cash, paid every Friday. $800.00 a week, cash in the pocket. Got to $25.00 an hour, $1000.00 a week. Don't find cash jobs too often. You need to be frugal, have a goal down the line & save your $$$'s.
Have done environmental work removing underground fuel storage tanks and under ground fuel lines. Rebuilding gas stations, installing fuel tanks and taking over a station and running it.
I've been a jack of all trades kinda person, have been able to travel and live in a couple of exotic places and found work within the food and beverage industry. Certainly not a big pay day, but having job and a pay check every other week is really saying that you're willing to work, be capable and to mesh into the working environment of what your employer requires from you.
Do your job, be consistent, get along with your fellow employees, be nice to folks in your daily activities and small things will come to you and aid you in your down the line goal.
Always knew that I could get a job in food and bev ..... Anywhere. I've been a dishwasher to a general manager. People got to eat, drink and be served. If you're good with the general public, can take the BS that is sometimes handed out & can still move on because you have a goal, then it might be for you. But with any job or task at hand, you have to work at it, be good at what you do and get along with your fellow workers and ... just be nice to folks and yourself ... Patience and hard work to achieve your goal .... and free time to surf.

Last edited:

waxfoot

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 21, 2018
Hey everyone, just wondering what jobs provide the best opportunities for surfing around the world, or jobs that provide time to surf everyday?
Find a job that's close to the beach, and a house that is close to both... then the actual job doesn't matter so much.

I work in software development for an insurance company, so not that glamorous or sexy that shouts surf, but I can surf before, during and after work if the conditions allow. The 'during work' is a little bit of a stretch for most employers, but software dev tends to be more flexible than most job environments, and my workplace is more flexible than most others, but before and after work at the majority of employer in a good geographical location shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Michael Peterson status
Apr 15, 2015
Find a job that's close to the beach, and a house that is close to both... then the actual job doesn't matter so much.

Find a job, so you'll be able to afford to rent or buy a house, that's close to the beach.
:sneaky:

Reactions: waxfoot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Find a job, so you'll be able to afford to rent or buy a house, that's close to the beach.
:sneaky:
Best for me - now.

Second best - Steam Generator Entry Tech at SanO Unit 1 in 1979. Work was from 6pm to 6am ten bucks an hour. Surf Trestles or SanO before work. Go to work, take a shower, burn a Thai joint, and play spades for $$$. For what I did you didn’t get called to work more than 3 days in a 3 month period so win a hundred bucks playing cards, 120 clams for your shift, and off to the trestle at 6am after a nice sleep.

When they did call you to work it was fucking intense. Full dress space suit with the full zoomie effect. In and out. Very heavy.

Between the evening to the morning you got paid. Surf afternoon and morning. Two week mexi trip every 3 months.

Reactions: keenfish

gbg

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 22, 2006
As a govt employee, your schedule is flexible. I can come in any time between 530 and 830. Those are core working hours. Every other Friday off. Your leave time is yours. Surf good. Take 2-3 hours.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Whatever job you choose living within walking distance of a surf spot helps a ton. I have friends that are firemen and work 24 on 48 off shifts with great pay & benefits, pension after 25 years and plenty of vacation time. If I had it to do over I'd probably take that route.

Leaverite

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Good friend is a practitioner of the Janitorial arts. He goes to work at a local elementarty school when eveyrbody leaves. He is the king of slack.

He has been caught out in the middle of the night sleeping in the teachers lounge. A faculty member showed up while he was sleeping on the couch and turned the lights on. Kook...

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

2surf

Tom Curren status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
Mobile Notary Public or professional guest as I call it. I have hundreds of individual and corporate clients that use my services regularly. Even at 69 years old I’m as busy as I’ve ever been. It’s a perfect a part time job for a surfer.