Jim Phillips longboards

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
His longboards look as works of art. Do they ride as good as they look?

Am looking for longboard for the days so small. Just fun and nice riding longboard.

Reactions: JTS

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Thanks. I never meet the guy so I don't know his ego. Good point for sure. I like to buy from good people when possible.

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
I don't know what NJsurfer's experience was with Jim but I got the complete opposite from Jim the few times I talked to him and ordered a board from him. See link to my Jim Phillips below. He lives up the street from me and is a super nice, humble dude in my opinion. If you don't get a board from him you're blowing it.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I have a 9'6" Bastard that is a really good blend of glide, pivot and ease of use. Noserides effortlessly. Rails and contours are fluid and well done.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I've had a couple of his boards over the years, his boards are second to none, the quality and craftsmanship. I've had a Tyler too, and I'd go Phillips every time, he and Andrew were awesome to work with, the "wildcat" was probably my favorite. His boards are reasonable, just know it's gonna take a while, but worth every penny.

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Ive had 2 boards from JP, a 9'6" SWT2 and a 9'4" CopyCat

He is a true craftsman, the boards a re truly functional works of art -
My CC is absolutely beautiful, no foam out of place
He also did a bit of extra detail on it, I asked for dual stringers and he tapered them from tail to nose
the weight and balance of this board is spot on

Not cheap but definitely Worth every penny

work through Andrew his business manager, he'll get you squared away

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
I have never met the man, so I cannot comment on him personally or his "gargantuan ego". With that said, I have seen some of the boards he has made. Barry at Inter Island Surf Shop on Kapahulu Avenue in Honolulu has, or had, some of his work under the Inter Island label and I was able to get a up close look at them. I was pretty impressed with them and the attention to detail in both the shaping and stringer work looked spot on. I have not ridden one of is boards, but have seen a few on Maui. The owner on Maui seems to have a few of his boards and they appear to work very well, though he can probably make most boards look like they ride well. Not sure where you are located, but a phone call or a visit might help with your decision.

Oct 5, 2019
Jim has been generous with his time and extremely friendly every time I encountered him. He offered to loan me his personal board at one point when I was considering placing an order. Where did you get the impression he has a "gargantuan ego"?
His experience is broad, his craftsmanship is superb, his reputation for intelligence is well earned. How do his boards ride? I never took the opportunity to try one, but my impression is that his shapes are best suited for classic style wave riding. Which is great if you've got the wave, the skills and crowd situation that allows that.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Jim doesn’t tolerate fools.
He is a good guy, a skilled board builder and master with wood. I had a young neighbor maybe 20 years ago who was trying to get into shaping boards in his mom’s garage, his name was Austin I think. Jim used to cruise by and help/guide the youngster after he called it a day up the hill. He freely gave his time, he is the real deal. Ego? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on whether he was trying to rid himself of an unwanted guest or whatever. Known him off and on +30 years. The real deal. John

Reactions: Havoc