Jeff Clark not first to surf Mavericks

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Wow. On my trips to California I've noticed the tsunami warning signs at places like Salt Creek but was not aware of any actual tsunamis in recent history on the west coast other than in Alaska.

The big Fukushima quake in Japan triggered the last one I remember. Santa Cruz yacht harbor and Crescent City both took a lot of damage.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Wow. On my trips to California I've noticed the tsunami warning signs at places like Salt Creek but was not aware of any actual tsunamis in recent history on the west coast other than in Alaska.
The Chile and Fukushima earthquake tsunamis hit the west coast. Fukushima was one of the weirdest ocean events I've ever seen on the west coast and lasted for hours, and caused tons of damage at Crescent City harbor

Last edited:

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
The Chili and Fukushima earthquake tsunamis hit the west coast. Fukushima was one of the weirdest ocean events I've ever seen on the west coast and lasted for hours, and caused tons of damage at Crescent City harbor
Trippy thing about tsunamis is watching the ocean work it's way back to level. In the days following the Fukushima one, being on the beach with my daughter at Waiks and watching the tidal line move 10-15' every 20-30 minutes. Like pebble waves in a big pond.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Remember Iceman and Ocean80210 were actually out surfing Steamer Lane that day. Being out in the water and watching the whole reef drain off out around them. Crazy sh!t.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Remember Iceman and Ocean80210 were actually out surfing Steamer Lane that day. Being out in the water and watching the whole reef drain off out around them. Crazy sh!t.
It was high tide one minute then 5 minutes later, low tide, and got more drastic with each surge. High tide, low tide, very high, very low, really high, really low, super high, super low. Which do you prefer?

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I was going to college back in the late 70's/early 80's. Menlo College in Atherton.

We were always heading over to HMB to surf when we had a chance. Fastest, closest place.

Back in those days there was a pier at Venice Beach in HMB. They were building an offshore storm drain outflow. That pier had some awesome sandbars. When the project was completed, they tore it down.

Remember going to a party over there one night. Lot's of booze, lot's of coke. Remember talking to this little stubby guy who looked like a gopher and listening to these amazing stories. Thought he was FOS.

Maybe not...

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I was going to college back in the late 70's/early 80's. Menlo College in Atherton.

We were always heading over to HMB to surf when we had a chance. Fastest, closest place.

Back in those days there was a pier at Venice Beach in HMB. They were building an offshore storm drain outflow. That pier had some awesome sandbars. When the project was completed, they tore it down.

Remember going to a party over there one night. Lot's of booze, lot's of coke. Remember talking to this little stubby guy who looked like a gopher and listening to these amazing stories. Thought he was FOS.

Maybe not...
This maybe your short stubby guy in the jacket

He was the main guy at Princeton breakwater back then .

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Surfed around the corner at some other spots but yes, it was basically the tide changing from low to high and back again on a dime. At one point, I was standing on a rock in chest deep water and all of a sudden the ocean rushed out from under me, leaving me standing about 10 feet from the new shoreline. Trippy stuff.

Re: the Mavericks - not sure it really matters who surfed it first. The 15 years of Jeff Clark surfing it alone still has to be one of the most impressive stories in surfing.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
5 Tsunamis hit west coast over history

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Re: the Mavericks - not sure it really matters who surfed it first. The 15 years of Jeff Clark surfing it alone still has to be one of the most impressive stories in surfing.
I agree, I'm just not so sure about the "totally alone" part. We lived in HMB and SC from 82'-88' and my dad surfed mavs during that period. I remember when the clark article came out he was a little miffed that he claimed no one else was surfing it, but ultimately he didn't care. Granted, he never surfed it huge