January - northern hemi is it?

Sep 29, 2004
Hi guys

I don't know whether you can help but my girlfriend and i are hoping to get away in January for a 2 week surf trip. I have surfed all over the world (cali, south africa, morroco, indo, oz, europe) and am looking for a new destination. Preferably i would like somewhere consistant and heavy, reef breaks are a preference. Lanza i guess is the obvious choice but i've been there before? Was thinking azores or madeira(though i'm no 20ft hell man!!). Pacific may be a little to far/expensive from europe. Any southern hemi gems i should be thinking about? what do you think?
Thanks for your help.

MrG

OTF status
Jan 16, 2002
Earth
January - s.hemi = summer = worst swell season..Your in N. hemi's best swell season so why bother going south......
Been to Oahu, Maui, Kauai?
Madeira yes.
How about the other Canary Islands - Fuertuventura etc.
Azores I would check up on as I seem to remember hearing that Sept/Oct is optimum time there, it gets some strong winds.
It really depends whether you want to be wearing booties and a winter suit, a 3/2 or bordies and how much cash ya wanna splash.......so which one - Ireland or Hawaii?
Price:swell:heavy reef ratio = Canaries #1

Sep 29, 2004
Cheers Mr G. I think you're right, Madeira it is. Looks like good waves if maybe a tad sketchy - rocks, cliffs and big waves. Lots of other things to do for the girly as well.

Aug 19, 2004
You sure have not surfed out here. We have just opened the first surf camp in Micronesia. I think this might be the solution for your problems. Check us out at www.globalsurfguides.com and then click on Caroline Islands. Check out this picture from last friday. Allois

Jan 24, 2005
Town, HI
Allois,
Stoked to see the website...I have been trying to get out there for so long...I too saw pictures of the perfect reef pass in those photos looking out from Soeks rock and have been dreaming of it nonstop. Hopefully it won't be getting too crowded too soon...although Air Mike probably isn't going to make that happen too quick. I might just be able to stop by for a week next year around Feb or March, as I will be in Yap for a month...What type of consistency are we talking around those months??