James Baldwin on White Fragility

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Well I wasn’t around in ‘68 but I’m pretty safe in assuming those words were actually somewhat relevant back then.

In the context of 2021 America it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I wonder how many people 1968 (or whenever that was) said:

"Well I wasn’t around in [insert past year here] but I’m pretty safe in assuming those words were actually somewhat relevant back then.

In the context of [present day] America it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever."

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I get that but these are all opinions, fringe elements with extreme views.

Lefty clickbait = Righty clickbait

It would be like me quoiting Alex Jones and going, SEE? YOUR WRONG.
Protesting against climate change is racist…

School Strike 4 Climate Auckland is disbanding as an organisation. This is under the suggestion and guidance of the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) members of our group, as well as individual BIPOC activists and organisations. We are not holding any more climate strikes in the Auckland region. … BIPOC communities are disproportionately affected by climate change, so the fight for climate justice should be led by their voices and needs, not Pākehā ones.
“Pākehā” means white New Zealanders.

The group continued that there was an “urgent need to decolonise the organization”

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
"Accuses itself"?!?!
I wonder what the average time spent by those people on social media is. I bet the majority are fairly young, and were raised with screens in their hands.

(Is it majority "is" or majority "are" correct usage? Cuz it's a majority of people, plural, but a majority is also one thing, a group of more than half.)

I firmly believe social media is fucking people up, and the longer one has used the worse it can be. I'm sure results vary, I'm making a generalization.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I wonder what the average time spent by those people on social media is. I bet the majority are fairly young, and were raised with screens in their hands.

(Is it majority "is" or majority "are" correct usage? Cuz it's a majority of people, plural, but a majority is also one thing, a group of more than half.)

I firmly believe social media is fucking people up, and the longer one has used the worse it can be. I'm sure results vary, I'm making a generalization.
Yes I agree. We all have the ability to use and leverage the internet and social media to enhance our lives, make them easier, and utilize our time better. Problem is that the point of diminishing returns is surpassed after about 10-15 minutes/day, and gets exponentially worse from there.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas