Jalama

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
I am thinking of doing a poor man's surf trip to Jalama from the SF bay area (I am tired of being cold and I can't afford to go to far). What is the minimum swell it needs to work? Might try to go in September.

It's pretty sad that only wearing a 3/4 with no booties is as close as i'll get to the tropics.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Keep driving to San Diego. Way warmer. One tank or so further than Jalama each way.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Jalama water is cold year-round, blows out early, crowded as hell and you are SOL on getting a campsite (usually reserved a year out)
The upside... Jalama Burgers.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I am thinking of doing a poor man's surf trip to Jalama from the SF bay area (I am tired of being cold and I can't afford to go to far). What is the minimum swell it needs to work? Might try to go in September.

It's pretty sad that only wearing a 3/4 with no booties is as close as i'll get to the tropics.
Ask for someone to pm you the info.every spot doesnt need to be blown up or go up to santa cruz with the rest of san jose kooks

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No island blocking so swell comes full force best with west and reef is empty of sand "tons of sand right now" if you can wait tell October but you can score in Septemper. Camping is still low capacity and need to reserve spot or could reserve one 3 state parks South and drive in everyday early before the wind picks up but parking is $10 day.

Reactions: santacruzin