Jake Phelps RIP?

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
never met the guy but who could forget looking at thrasher magazine as a little kid.

r.i.p.

i should go roll around the local park in tribute. after the last year of karate and its related injuries, skating doesn't seem so dangerous anymore.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There is something admirable about anyone who is still riding a skateboard into their late 50s. He did not sit well with a lot of people but man what an icon for youthfulness.

For some reason I can't imagine a guy like him dying.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach

This was a photo from 2010 when I was the marketing director at Circa Footwear. It was at the King of the Road " End of the Line" party at The Palms in Vegas. Thats me with the camera and Phelper in the hat talking to P-Stone who passed away last year, as Koston arm wrestled that huge dude.
Anyway, as the night further along and Phelps was about to announce the final two teams, he named us second behind Koston and Nike. My TM walked up to get our part of the cash prize and just as Phelps was going to hand it over, he threw the cash into the air... $5000 grand in hundreds. Later at the downstairs bar, our TM said they only found $3900. The rest of the night we watched Phelps pull crisp hundred dollar bills out of his pocket all night buying people drinks.

He was an asshole, but he was our asshole.

RIP Phelper.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
I used to run an old surfshop in Doggie~Town,
ya know, Santa Monica, and I'm from Venice, from back in thee day.
Never heard of your boy, but I guess he had an effect on some of you boyz...

I surf. Side~walk skate.
Never heard of Jake.

BUT the recent death of Harold Walker,
should've been bigger news in the surf scene than the death of JMV, of Luke Perry, or this dude whom you now mourn. How you boyz did not post a tribute thread on Harold Walker escapes me...

Who is Harold Walker???

Just 1 of THEE DUDES who made surfboard blanks!!!

Harold Walker of Walker foam was an important and insightful interview for our film.
Everyone in the Surf Industry chose a side. Clark Foam or Walker Foam. It was interesting to hear Harold’s take on the past. Harold Walker was a legend in the industry and for a time he was one of two men who’s blanks supported the rise of the surf industry.

RIP Harold Walker.
Link: https://fivesix.com/video-production/boardroom-interview-harold-walker-part-1/
:wave2:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
Sorry that 1 of your sk8er's died,
or some actor you watched at home on your tv passed on,
or some other actor you saw on the big-screen died also...

You too,
as I will, as we all are, are gonna die. Some soon, some before others.
So enjoy your ridez while ya can boyz!!! And support your local shaper, your local surfshop.
If ya did, maybe you would have known of a man with the name: Harold Walker...
RW
:jam_on:

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
RWVBWL said:
^^^^^
I used to run an old surfshop in Doggie~Town,
ya know, Santa Monica, and I'm from Venice, from back in thee day.
Never heard of your boy, but I guess he had an effect on some of you boyz...

I surf. Side~walk skate.
Never heard of Jake.

BUT the recent death of Harold Walker,
should've been bigger news in the surf scene than the death of JMV, of Luke Perry, or this dude whom you now mourn. How you boyz did not post a tribute thread on Harold Walker escapes me...

Who is Harold Walker???

Just 1 of THEE DUDES who made surfboard blanks!!!

Harold Walker of Walker foam was an important and insightful interview for our film.
Everyone in the Surf Industry chose a side. Clark Foam or Walker Foam. It was interesting to hear Harold’s take on the past. Harold Walker was a legend in the industry and for a time he was one of two men who’s blanks supported the rise of the surf industry.

RIP Harold Walker.
Link: https://fivesix.com/video-production/boardroom-interview-harold-walker-part-1/
:wave2:
I grew up with Harold's son, but only meet Harold twice. There's not many left of that generation, and it's great some are taking the time to document their lives and history of surfboard evolution.

RIP Jake
RIP Harold

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Whoa!! Been off the social media for a while so this is the first Ive heard of this. What a shock!! Phelper!! Wonder if it had to do with his horrendous slam he took last year at the king of the hill deal in S.F.? 100% skateboarder. Damn. Gonna take some time for this to sink in.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
scooch said:
Whoa!! Been off the social media for a while so this is the first Ive heard of this. What a shock!! Phelper!! Wonder if it had to do with his horrendous slam he took last year at the king of the hill deal in S.F.? 100% skateboarder. Damn. Gonna take some time for this to sink in.
No full confirmation but that's what I'm hearing.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Been digging around and haven't found anything. A buddy of mine talked to his nephew and he said he died on his couch and that skateboarding took a heavy toll on his body, i.e. the king of the hill slam. Unconfirmed but that's all I got.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Heard two rumors about what caused it
Not going to share but if you look around it’s on the internets

Sounds like it was an accident just not the kind everyone is thinking .
Similar to Monks passing perhaps