Jack Robinson qualifies for WSL World Tour amidst controversy with Zeke Lau due to surf eitiquette faux pas!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don’t see how that’s not an interference.

That being said a paddling interference (I think) results in the lower scored wave is cut in half.

In that case Robo still wins.

Reactions: noone999 and CJSB

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Robo must be having a comfortable stay on the North Shore after that. Stoked hes on tour next year.

Reactions: CJSB

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't think the paddler was trying to interfere with the ride, just make it under to get back out, so I'd say it's an accident, but, uhhh, fckn wear it and scrub it, sticker boy.

I swear I see slight looks of disbelief on people's faces when I angle deeper instead of fckng their line up.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
Seems like the OP doesn’t know much about surfing.

I’ve never seen a heat so dominated by one surfer.

Robinson was unable to determine where Zeke was going to end up on that wave. I reckon Zeke (perhaps) could have been scored as if he made the barrel, which he would have.

Reactions: Goodfish

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I don't know lagunaboy. Yes Jack dominated that heat but that was clearly interference. Jack got in his way....... no doubt.... and it was early in the heat and resulted in a broken board for Zeke. Cut Jack's 2nd score in half for the interference, Zeke get's a score for making a barrel and doesn't break his board causing a delay.... things MAY have ended different.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
even if Robertson got an interference, that wouldn't have guaranteed Zeke's spot on the CT. It was early in the heat and who knows whether the outcome would have been same or different. it's a new type of interference I don't recall happening before in a heat, or a heat of significance for the judges to make a call right then. unfortunately Zeke had to take the hit for something that will probably be called in the future.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Robinson was unable to determine where Zeke was going to end up on that wave.
lol

The interesting thing is he was obviously trying to avoid a beating and a broken board or leash.

Instead he started paddling as fast as possible for the shoulder he should've been made an abrupt right as soon a Zeke took off.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If it was determined to be an interference robo still wins the heat.

Can’t really blame Zeke for his lack of basic math skills being that he’s a product of a Hawaiian education.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I swear I see slight looks of disbelief on people's faces when I angle deeper instead of fckng their line up.
All the time.

The paddle for the shoulder thing has now become commonplace.

I've actually had guys paddle into me going for the shoulder when they should be paddling for the whitewater. As in, I'm paddling for the whitewater and they're paddling for the shoulder. And this is in hollow, overhead reef waves where people have enough skill they should know better.

Reactions: noone999

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
If it was determined to be an interference robo still wins the heat.

Can’t really blame Zeke for his lack of basic math skills being that he’s a product of a Hawaiian education.
think his argument was Jack would have been flustered after getting the interference and not gotten the second high score. that's a BIG if

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
think his argument was Jack would have been flustered after getting the interference and not gotten the second high score. that's a BIG if
I dunno about flustered.

But he would've gotten worked and a good chance of some equipment issues.

Time.

Those issues ended up being Zeke's problem.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
Perhaps interference should have been called. Jack bailed his board to keep from getting run over. He seemed to be judging that Zeke was going to exit sooner. I don’t know. But Robinson killed that contest.