Jack knifes/kick flips

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I’m about 10-12 sessions in so far, making most of my waves and getting a few pumps going down the line and over the back of the waves back out but still getting some pretty savage flips toeside, am I leaning too much weight over that side rail? Or not enough pressure on the toes? To keep the wing under control?
Fully ate sh!t today and hammered my ribs on the rail and mixed it up with the wing/ mast but otherwise had the best foil waves so far.
Any advice is highly appreciated :cheers:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do not correct high side. Go with the fall instead. You're getting back on your toes to late I'd imagine. The board is already starting to hook into a heelside carve and speeding up because it's carving. Then you're trying to force your toes to correct it. Start the toe side turn earlier. Very subtle movements to get back to the other "rail"

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey man,

Hdip is right.. better to flip flop to the other direction than try to wrestle the foil. It happens pretty fast I know, but if you get twinkle toes it’s better to bail if you can’t follow the foil around on one of its excursions.

I also adopted the Craig Anderson style cranked back leg to help absorb a bit of energy and drive the wing deeper on fast sections.

The face full of foil phenomena was happening to me for probably more sessions than you’ve logged so far, but it’s a rarity now unless I get adventurous on an oncoming section or something. Like Ericfoils nasty clip under the ribs on insta today.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks boys,
Most of the time I’m thinking I’m slightly high on the face too and high side it that way over balancing, still in surf mode I guess looking at the near bumps instead of the far ones.
Ericfoil looks like he got run down by his own foil!!! Fuuuuuugggg :shock:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
sozzle said:
still getting some pretty savage flips toeside, am I leaning too much weight over that side rail? Or not enough pressure on the toes? To keep the wing under control?
Fully ate sh!t today and hammered my ribs on the rail and mixed it up with the wing/ mast but otherwise had the best foil waves so far.
I was thinking about this again when I was in the water today. You say it happens front side? It could be that you're still thinking like a surfer and staying to tight in the pocket. When there is a ton of curve in the wave it is really hard to keep the wing parralel to the beach. Much easier to be further out on the shoulder where the wave is flatter. Or if you have to go around a section, aim at the beach and go around the section in the flats out in front of the wave.

Maybe try moving your front foot around. Depending what I'm doing I'm moving both feet to different spots on the board.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Hdip said:
sozzle said:
still getting some pretty savage flips toeside, am I leaning too much weight over that side rail? Or not enough pressure on the toes? To keep the wing under control?
I was thinking about this again when I was in the water today. You say it happens front side? It could be that you're still thinking like a surfer and staying to tight in the pocket. When there is a ton of curve in the wave it is really hard to keep the wing parralel to the beach. Much easier to be further out on the shoulder where the wave is flatter. Or if you have to go around a section, aim at the beach and go around the section in the flats out in front of the wave.

Maybe try moving your front foot around. Depending what I'm doing I'm moving both feet to different spots on the board.
I’m definitely still in surf mode stance wise, I think I’m getting too much top weight over the rail and not keeping pressure on the toes before it happens, we have some good conditions the next few days so I’ll see if I can adjust my body position and see if it makes a difference.
Im so used to riding small quick reacting surfboards it’s hard to slow it down for the longer arcs/lines.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
after another month i've worked out it was a lack of rear toe pressure that was letting it flip, haven't had one for the last 10 sessions now i've kept an eye on that one thing, i might be wrong but it's worked for me.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Probably not helpful, but for me in early sessions it helped to keep in mind I am not surfing a board on surface, I'm surfing something 2 feet below. So you have to project your moves to way below...like surfing a board while standing on a ladder. Your body position and mast have to in line through the turns. Once you have created a hinge, it will collapse into itself like the switch blade.....foiln in face. Once that collapse starts it is difficult to correct

May 15, 2017
Sozzle i saw you hit your ribs alot
did you know that the spacestick boards have cush skin and memory foam rails?
They make them for tow in guys like Pato Teixeira and Ross WIlliams
Mine is for foil - can smack the rails and doesn't hurt like a glass board. Still smacks a little but would not be able to damage you or your head.