It's Raining again

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
This is the third year in a row we've had significant rain in may.

Normally after El Nino, we move to La Nina or more neutral conditions. Reports of this El Nino sticking around through summer.

I wonder if we have a rainy summer? Has it ever happened?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
hmm will el nino give us more south swells in summer??

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
StinkinHippie said:
This is the third year in a row we've had significant rain in may.

Normally after El Nino, we move to La Nina or more neutral conditions. Reports of this El Nino sticking around through summer.

I wonder if we have a rainy summer? Has it ever happened?
There’s not much correlation between El Niño and how much it rains in california...

https://www.ggweather.com/enso/calenso.htm

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
A climatologist friend said rainfall here mostly has to do with where the gulf stream is, and forecasting further than 2 weeks out and beyond has so much distortion it's mostly stats and a crapshoot.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Raining in the high desert of Central Oregon. Local news said that we are out of the drought for now because of the rains and snowpack.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
And Califoria's infastructure was recently rated a D-. Heard the authorities up in Oroville are already trying to calm people down after last year.

Billions and billions of gallons of clean, fresh water are going to be blown out. Every day.

And when the next drought hits we all suffer.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
For fun. A vid of the road into the campground.

Last year when we did it it was early in the season. Very rough, very wet.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Leaverite said:
And Califoria's infastructure was recently rated a D-. Heard the authorities up in Oroville are already trying to calm people down after last year.

Billions and billions of gallons of clean, fresh water are going to be blown out. Every day.

And when the next drought hits we all suffer.

I heard they finally scratched that stupid train project
Sacramento needs to save this water, throw some money at it, it makes sense

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Sat in the jacuzzi sipping wine while the rain cooled our noggins. It was wonderful. Yesterday morning we had a family movie sesh with the rain in a steady fall the entire time. I love rain. :applause2:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
everysurfr said:
Leaverite said:

Hike in, or stay home
Seriously! A lot more rewarding to trek in than drive. Like the people that drive to the top of Saddleback. Hike that sh!t instead!

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Kento said:
everysurfr said:
Leaverite said:

Hike in, or stay home
Seriously! A lot more rewarding to trek in than drive. Like the people that drive to the top of Saddleback. Hike that sh!t instead!
Never hiked Saddleback...so you can drive to the top of it? Have to get up there somehow someday soon lol.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
bigsurfer67 said:
Kento said:
everysurfr said:
Leaverite said:

Hike in, or stay home
Never hiked Saddleback...so you can drive to the top of it? Have to get up there somehow someday soon lol.
The Holy Fire took a few options off the table but you should still be able to drive up via Maple Spring Truck Trail out of Silverado Canyon and take Main Divide road the rest of the way. I'd check with off-road forums, though, on getting up there.

Hiking is open though. Even though it's longer (28 miles vs. 18), I'd prefer to take Harding Truck Trail up there as it's a little less crowded with off-roaders from what I hear. Who knows when main Holy Jim trail will open.

Been planning on hiking up there for last 2 years but always some BS gets in the way. Excessive amounts of rain/snow f*cked everything. As soon as my foot heals up (hopefully only a few more weeks) it's decent weather, and I have an all-day hall pass (the most difficult hurdle!), it's on. Will be a good distance endurance check for Cactus to Clouds and the Baldy 10 Peak loop, which I want to do this fall, both of which are moderately insane. :crazy2: :roflmao: