It's Raining again

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Leaverite said:
And Califoria's infastructure was recently rated a D-. Heard the authorities up in Oroville are already trying to calm people down after last year.

Billions and billions of gallons of clean, fresh water are going to be blown out. Every day.

And when the next drought hits we all suffer.
As they say, drought is a political issue, not an environmental one.

I surfed in the rain Sunday morning. Would normally be concerned to get in the water after a rain, but with how much it rained all winter I figure things are pretty cleaned out, so late season light rains don't concern me as much. Come to think of it it did smell a bit like a sewer down on La Jolla Shores.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
shiver_me_timbers said:
silentbutdeadly said:
Several surfs cancelled and two days fishing gone. NW you can have your weather back.
Its raining here too, so not sure if you want an exchange or what :shrug: .... Swell is gonna be 9' @ 10 seconds this weekend, so won't be fishing out in the ocean.
How long does it take you to get to the ocean?

I was supposed to fish sunday but there were two different swells at 6 seconds. No bueno. 10 usually isn't bad, but 9 feet... yeah probably a different story lol

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Kento said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Kento said:
everysurfr said:
Leaverite said:
For fun. A vid of the road into the campground.

Last year when we did it it was early in the season. Very rough, very wet.

Hike in, or stay home
Seriously! A lot more rewarding to trek in than drive. Like the people that drive to the top of Saddleback. Hike that sh!t instead!
Never hiked Saddleback...so you can drive to the top of it? Have to get up there somehow someday soon lol.
The Holy Fire took a few options off the table but you should still be able to drive up via Maple Spring Truck Trail out of Silverado Canyon and take Main Divide road the rest of the way. I'd check with off-road forums, though, on getting up there.

Hiking is open though. Even though it's longer (28 miles vs. 18), I'd prefer to take Harding Truck Trail up there as it's a little less crowded with off-roaders from what I hear. Who knows when main Holy Jim trail will open.

Been planning on hiking up there for last 2 years but always some BS gets in the way. Excessive amounts of rain/snow f*cked everything. As soon as my foot heals up (hopefully only a few more weeks) it's decent weather, and I have an all-day hall pass (the most difficult hurdle!), it's on. Will be a good distance endurance check for Cactus to Clouds and the Baldy 10 Peak loop, which I want to do this fall, both of which are moderately insane. :crazy2: :roflmao:
Thanks for the info...still out of the water and upper body lifting a few more weeks due to a "pre melanoma" chest hackup. Want to get into hiking more...also have "Plantar Fasciitis", so hiking 28 (or even 18 miles) would be pretty gnarley for me without working up to it and getting in better hiking shape. Plan to do it soon as Saddleback is right there for us in South OC!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
bigsurfer67 said:
Kento said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Kento said:
Seriously! A lot more rewarding to trek in than drive. Like the people that drive to the top of Saddleback. Hike that sh!t instead!
Never hiked Saddleback...so you can drive to the top of it? Have to get up there somehow someday soon lol.
The Holy Fire took a few options off the table but you should still be able to drive up via Maple Spring Truck Trail out of Silverado Canyon and take Main Divide road the rest of the way. I'd check with off-road forums, though, on getting up there.

Hiking is open though. Even though it's longer (28 miles vs. 18), I'd prefer to take Harding Truck Trail up there as it's a little less crowded with off-roaders from what I hear. Who knows when main Holy Jim trail will open.

Been planning on hiking up there for last 2 years but always some BS gets in the way. Excessive amounts of rain/snow f*cked everything. As soon as my foot heals up (hopefully only a few more weeks) it's decent weather, and I have an all-day hall pass (the most difficult hurdle!), it's on. Will be a good distance endurance check for Cactus to Clouds and the Baldy 10 Peak loop, which I want to do this fall, both of which are moderately insane. :crazy2: :roflmao:
Thanks for the info...still out of the water and upper body lifting a few more weeks due to a "pre melanoma" chest hackup. Want to get into hiking more...also have "Plantar Fasciitis", so hiking 28 (or even 18 miles) would be pretty gnarley for me without working up to it and getting in better hiking shape. Plan to do it soon as Saddleback is right there for us in South OC!
Damn that's heavy. Hope you heal up well and can get in water soon. Also sucks with the Plantar fasciitis. My wife has that too. Compression socks helped her lot along with not walking barefoot around house and stuff. Helped as she hasn't had it flare up in a couple years.

You definitely want to build up to longer hikes like Saddleback. Luckily there are a ton of good hikes throughout South OC. Crystal Cove is good (although exposed) as are Oneill, Wood Canyon, and Whiting Ranch. Although latter has a mountain lion history. Trekking poles really help with taking some of the stress out of the feet and knees. Being drydocked for last two months has sucked. Gonna take a while to get cardio and legs back.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
silentbutdeadly said:
shiver_me_timbers said:
silentbutdeadly said:
Several surfs cancelled and two days fishing gone. NW you can have your weather back.
Its raining here too, so not sure if you want an exchange or what :shrug: .... Swell is gonna be 9' @ 10 seconds this weekend, so won't be fishing out in the ocean.

I was supposed to fish sunday but there were two different swells at 6 seconds. No bueno. 10 usually isn't bad, but 9 feet... yeah probably a different story lol
2 hours to tow the boat to Westport or Port Angeles. 3 to Neah Bay. Easy drive. If it were 3' @ 10 seconds, sure, no worries, but anytime the swell height is the same as the period at that size, that's a bad time.

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Kento said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Kento said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Kento said:

Damn that's heavy. Hope you heal up well and can get in water soon. Also sucks with the Plantar fasciitis. My wife has that too. Compression socks helped her lot along with not walking barefoot around house and stuff. Helped as she hasn't had it flare up in a couple years.

You definitely want to build up to longer hikes like Saddleback. Luckily there are a ton of good hikes throughout South OC. Crystal Cove is good (although exposed) as are Oneill, Wood Canyon, and Whiting Ranch. Although latter has a mountain lion history. Trekking poles really help with taking some of the stress out of the feet and knees. Being drydocked for last two months has sucked. Gonna take a while to get cardio and legs back.
Not that heavy but a definite wake up call. Was only an atypical mole removed on chest ..still had "moderate" levels of atypical cells, so they needed to get bigger margins. 7 external stitches & 4 internal. Got externals removed & the all clear today. Have consistently used sunscreen last 25 years...not as carefully as a kid though. Definitely get checked if anything funky seen!

Have shoe arch supports for plantar fasciitis...help a little but hard to find arch support with flop flops. Gotta do exercises/stretches that I've neglected.

Wood canyon close to me...going to work up to bigger hikes there and get back in the water soon!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
shiver_me_timbers said:
silentbutdeadly said:
shiver_me_timbers said:
silentbutdeadly said:

2 hours to tow the boat to Westport or Port Angeles. 3 to Neah Bay. Easy drive. If it were 3' @ 10 seconds, sure, no worries, but anytime the swell height is the same as the period at that size, that's a bad time.
Didn't know you fished the ocean yet on your boat. I guess this weekend wouldn't be a good time to start.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Now that we are deeper into spring, looks like I am going to have the best crop of asian pears to date.

Am sure the cold of winter and the winter and spring rains have helped. So yay rain.

But I think on of my mini-dwarf apple tree may not make it....right after blooming, the rains came and the blossoms rotted in 24 hrs. Now all the limbs look burnt...think fireblight may have taken hold. Damp weather really helps it attack susceptible plants. So un-yay rain.

Boy, life makes it tough to come out ahead sometimes.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the jasmine is lit this year

I bet the jacarandas are going to go nuclear

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
This late rain is adversely affecting winery grape crops. However the tomatoes at my community center garden plot are doing really well!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
bigsurfer67 said:
This late rain is adversely affecting winery grape crops. However the tomatoes at my community center garden plot are doing really well!
Grapedrink to the phone. I thought spring rain is good, but just before harvest or late rain can phuk up brix and ph?

My serrano, fatalii and trinidad scorpion chilis are loving it the rain, as are my 1 black heirloom tomato plant and myriad of herbs in various pots that like lots of water (oregano, tons of mint, lemon verbena, thyme etc). It's gotten too warm and variable for my arugula so I ripped it out and made an arugula smoothie when it started flowering and planted another 1,000,000+ scoville unit chili plant in it's place. If I can keep them alive and producing when it's often over 100 degrees and 40kt winds again this summer I'll be happy. :shaka:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
_____ said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Grapedrink to the phone. I thought spring rain is good, but just before harvest or late rain can phuk up brix and ph?

My serrano, fatalii and trinidad scorpion chilis are loving it the rain, as are my 1 black heirloom tomato plant and myriad of herbs in various pots that like lots of water (oregano, tons of mint, lemon verbena, thyme etc). It's gotten too warm and variable for my arugula so I ripped it out and made an arugula smoothie when it started flowering and planted another 1,000,000+ scoville unit chili plant in it's place. If I can keep them alive and producing when it's often over 100 degrees and 40kt winds again this summer I'll be happy. :shaka:
dude...if you got extras when they produce...say the word!!!! love me some super hots.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Last season the fatalli produced like crazy, carolina reapers bit the dust, and serranos went nuts and is already producing like a peach tree. If the scorpions produce I'll send you a PM. I'm gonna make sauce but will send a bottle to you and any extras off the plant if you're down to eat one or many. My ass threw in the towel at 3am sometime ago. Pure death :rockin:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Grapedrink to the phone. I thought spring rain is good,]t before harvest or late rain can phuk up brix and ph?
:computer:
You are correct about harvest, although the berries will release that water and return to normal sugars and pH i with a few days of decent weather afterwards. Rain in the spring is okay, up until bloom, which in some areas and varieties was well under way. During bloom the rain can wash away the pollen and reduce fruit set. There is also the risk of rot with rain anytime between bloom and harvest. However it will be at least a few weeks before we have a better idea of the impact.
From a business side, this could be good, because there is an oversupply of wine on the market and would help balance things out :beer: