Issue speed generation on new board

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Haha. Customer service and word of mouth. I called the guy at Stacey, he was super chilled and easy to deal with, understood my frustration and he agreed with my thought process that sometimes sh!t can happen in production (even though he pointed out the high quality of the cobra factory) and it s worth another go with obviously no guarantee that result will be different.

Reactions: Maz and Hazrus

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Glad it all worked out mat.

Maybe sell it while it's still new and get the Dylan, lol

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Haha dont think i ll do this, they are kind enough to send a new one, i d feel bad doing this, i need to give it a try. I asked with futures this time, as i have many sets i am more familiar with maybe it ll find the good combination !

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
The guys at Stacey are the nicest I’ve ever dealt with in the industry. I had a wave slave in PU that was awesome until I lost 8 kgs and it was too big.
Let us know how the new one goes!

Reactions: Mat6920

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Original post was about the board not working? Not construction?

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Original post was about the board not working? Not construction?
yes it was about me struggling to get speed and looking to play around fins to work it out, then I started to notice compressions so I waxed it off and saw a bunch and pretty deep ones so I emailed them, maybe something went wrong in production I dont know, maybe not, but they kindly offered to replace it. Except my speed struggle I loved the board

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
The guys at Stacey are the nicest I’ve ever dealt with in the industry. I had a wave slave in PU that was awesome until I lost 8 kgs and it was too big.
Let us know how the new one goes!
A friend had it as well and loved it in PU, he had the OG and the slim dim, the Phantom flex one has more flip in the tail thou. What fins you used you remember ?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I've got OP by a solid 50# and my Black Dart has very little denting as does my Corevac. Aviso also held up well for me, although I never hit it hard enough to ding, the deck denting was 0.

I think not all stringerless EPS are created equal. Corevac I guess is more of a regional Florida thing, but Black Dart I think maybe Californians can get that without too much trouble?
Had a Corevac from AJ years ago. Came out a bit thicker then I wanted but that thing was solid. No dents minus a nice footwell after a few months and I put some miles on that thing. I may give him a try again as he does quite a bit of business up north. Although a Rad Ripper in black dart is calling me.

OP thats great they're hooking up another one. I'm same weight as you and had similar experience with a stringerless Chilli.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
http://instagr.am/p/B_HPgmunrdT/
It's probably a good idea to start talking with a shaper that has his eye on all aspects of the build

Dylan is similar height and weight to you
Just got off the phone with Dylan - such an epic guy. I called him up to talk about this board specifically, and how much he reckons he can push my volume up. He's doing a Oz roadtrip, selling boards directly out of his van and meeting customers face to face. He's driving up my way next week, and he suggested we go for a surf together and he'll let me test out some boards. Now that's some customer service for you!

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Lucky Mr.waxfoot

I was hoping to surf lowers with DL when he was here but work did not allow :(

Reactions: Aruka

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Just got off the phone with Dylan - such an epic guy. I called him up to talk about this board specifically, and how much he reckons he can push my volume up. He's doing a Oz roadtrip, selling boards directly out of his van and meeting customers face to face. He's driving up my way next week, and he suggested we go for a surf together and he'll let me test out some boards. Now that's some customer service for you!
That's awesome.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks, it's a little intimidating surfing with a shaper that rips though.. but hey ho, looks like I'm getting a new board :p
I see alot of his boards around where I surf and a few of my mates that are into the HP thing ride them really well. Dylan and Laurie Towner used to surf a few of the local spots when it got big. I remember seeing them out at mystics on a big day and Laurie was pulling into some heavy waves. He'd get smashed. Pop up with a broken board and head in for another new board! Dylan made all his huge barrels like they were 3fters. Dylan's brother, Daz, runs a really good local surf shop. Terrible what happened to him. https://www.penguin.com.au/books/beyond-the-break-9780143787624

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
@Bman76 - sh!t, didn't know the story. What's the TL;DR of the book? Did he stack it on a wave and can't surf anymore or something?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
@Bman76 - sh!t, didn't know the story. What's the TL;DR of the book? Did he stack it on a wave and can't surf anymore or something?
From the link above:
Daz Longbottom was destined to surf. Born into a surfing family, living on the beach in Cronulla and with a surfboard manufacturing pioneer for a father, it didn’t take Daz long to discover that surfing feeling. Following early successes in competitive surfing, Daz moved into the surf industry and eventually became the owner of a surf shop. He became a father and ran a successful business, which made life feel easy as he negotiated a path of pure happiness. Then, in a split second, everything changed. While surfing a remote and idyllic location in Indonesia, fourteen hours by boat from the mainland, a freak accident resulted in a broken neck and instant paralysis. Alone in the water, Daz fought to stay alive until he was rescued by his friends. But that’s just the beginning. Reaching the safety of a hospital would become an epic, life-or-death ride no-one could have foreseen.