Issue speed generation on new board

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
shame, the boards I've got from the GlassLab have been top notch.
for some reason in the Aus, glass shops don't want to know about epoxy......they fcuking hate it.

You can get it done, but most EPS/epoxies seem to come from Asia.

no skin off my nose.
Do you mean that Glass lab's EPS / Epoxy are good or not?
My standard PU boards frmo them have held up incredibly well, but I've not yet had EPS/Epoxy from them?

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Do you mean that Glass lab's EPS / Epoxy are good or not?
My standard PU boards frmo them have held up incredibly well, but I've not yet had EPS/Epoxy from them?
But why the glassing would be so good at the Lab and so poor in the cobra factory. I mean if cobra is such a big high quality factory and a brand like stacey is sending their own materials there, why the glassing part is not as good as the Lab. What s so special about the way the lab is glassing boards ? (sorry if the question sounds silly, i m not an expert in this).

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
EPS foam density should be considered as well.

A lot of the overseas boards use ultra lightweight EPS foam. It's cheaper and when people pick up the finished board, they're impressed with the lightness. This comes at the expense of durability.

If you go to a competent shaper familiar with working with EPS/Epoxy and specify you want an EPS blank that's closer in density to your favorite PU blank, then you can have an EPS/Epoxy with a similar glass schedule as a PU/PE.

Take XTR as an example, they use a blank that's similar in density to a PU and are able to use more of a traditional glass schedule. The end result is a board that feels pretty close to PU/PE boards but the durability benefits of EPS/Epoxy.
What about those stringered epoxy ? I remember feeling a lost with this construction it was very light ! Would it have the same pop ? ... XTR construction is only for Tomo boards ?

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Picture looks like 1 lb foam
From Stacey, what they say about their epoxy

Phantom Phlex has unparalleled resistance and return to static due to the strategically placed combination of carbon and Ghost Weave (Inegra) composites.
The boards are glassed in a 4x4x4 layup - like PU stock boards, but these have more of a team light feel. They aren't too light, nor to heavy which is a cool thing. The reason behind this is, you don't want too much flex in your surfboard. Too much flex equates to not enough drive down the line, which equates to less speed. After all, we all need to go a little faster. The special lay up of 4 ounce E-Glass with another layer of 4 ounce Quad cloth (which you'll see a pattern in on the boards) helps dampen flex, so it's not too much and makes sure your board feels fast and responsive under feet.
Strategically placed carbon on the deck and bottom controls flex in the right places with the inegra x patch between the fins helps add strength in the tail area without compromising the flex pattern.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
But why the glassing would be so good at the Lab and so poor in the cobra factory. I mean if cobra is such a big high quality factory and a brand like stacey is sending their own materials there, why the glassing part is not as good as the Lab. What s so special about the way the lab is glassing boards ? (sorry if the question sounds silly, i m not an expert in this).
Dunno mate, all I can say is that Chilli's boards were just as shocking for longevity. Craig from the Surfboard Guide chimed to say that Chilli also swapped to the Glass lab:

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 14.05.08.png

Reactions: Aruka and Mat6920

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
That s an interesting thing. The chili ones were coming from the cobra factory too ?

So you d also be surprised (or not) to hear that Superbrand stopped their deal with GSI to make their boards cause they had too many quality issues, now they do everything in the gold coast. I believe GSI was making boards at the cobra factory too

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
That s an interesting thing. The chili ones were coming from the cobra factory too ?

So you d also be surprised (or not) to hear that Superbrand stopped their deal with GSI to make their boards cause they had too many quality issues, now they do everything in the gold coast. I believe GSI was making boards at the cobra factory too
I don't know much about the cobra factory - just thought I'd weigh in with my experience with the glass lab, as well as Chilli boards.

Last edited:

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
\
Dunno mate, all I can say is that Chilli's boards were just as shocking for longevity. Craig from the Surfboard Guide chimed to say that Chilli also swapped to the Glass lab:

View attachment 89674

Maybe for the PU, I checked with Chili, the EPS are still made at the Cobra factory unless you order through board cave or through them, in that case it s $250 more. I d be curious to know if it s just because of labor or the materials are different. I m guessing that they send their materials over there so quality should be equal

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
"quality" doesn't matter. What matters is what sort of foam is being used, and how much fibreglass/other materials.
If it's a #1 EPS blank, like Griffin suggested, and just some fibreglass, then it's gonna be wrecked super fast. Doesn't matter if it's made at Cobra or NASA. You will still step right through the deck.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges. Firewire surfboards has high density foam/plastic sheets on the deck, covering the garbage EPS core. It's completely different in terms of durability.

Cobra is where windsurfing boards are made (most brands are being produced there). They know what they are doing, as those boards are being dropped from the sky with a guy on top and still not breaking. If you tell them to make a shitty EPS board, they will give you just that.

Reactions: Mr J

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
"quality" doesn't matter. What matters is what sort of foam is being used, and how much fibreglass/other materials.
If it's a #1 EPS blank, like Griffin suggested, and just some fibreglass, then it's gonna be wrecked super fast. Doesn't matter if it's made at Cobra or NASA. You will still step right through the deck.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges. Firewire surfboards has high density foam/plastic sheets on the deck, covering the garbage EPS core. It's completely different in terms of durability.

Cobra is where windsurfing boards are made (most brands are being produced there). They know what they are doing, as those boards are being dropped from the sky with a guy on top and still not breaking. If you tell them to make a shitty EPS board, they will give you just that.

Yeah i see what you mean, well I guess until I know exactly how they are making the board it s hard to judge. Saying this production defaults do exist in mass production factories, sh!t happens. Saying this to have a bit more clarity on how strong the board potentially is, what questions should I ask the guys at Stacey regarding construction on top of wether or not they are using 1, 1.5 or 2lbs eps foam ?

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Thanks Griffin, will ask.
Only info in found is '' Constructed using a 36gram EPS Core with a custom Uni-Directional Carbon Tape. Each of these Snake Eyes Phantom Phlex models is hand laminated using Epoxy Resin and Double Biax Cloth on the deck.''

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Firewire uses 0,8lb/cf

...With a sheet of some material hard as wood on top :)

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and Mat6920

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Well the stuff on top then is top quality !! well maybe this double biax cloth combined with the such a light eps core is not a strong enough combo...

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Idk if there is a straight glassing schedule that'll be strong enough when the foam is that airy. No matter what you put on top, it has no support from below. There's a reason why Surftech etc. use different materials to make their boards last.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
What about those stringered epoxy ? I remember feeling a lost with this construction it was very light ! Would it have the same pop ? ... XTR construction is only for Tomo boards ?
Sringered EPS is great! You'll still want the foam density to be 2lbs though.

XTR is a closed cell XPS/Epoxy construction. The blanks don't absorb water. Multiple shapers use this construction, including Pyzel. You could look into getting a Stubby Bastard in XTR if the numbers work out for you in Oz, which they probably won't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aardwolf