Island of Hawai'i Pono Pledge?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Planning a trip to the Islands in August and was looking at rental condos in Napili and came across this on one of the sites. On its face it seems fine but I am always dubious of anything I find on a tourism web site that asks for names and email addresses (I would of course give fakes). I wonder what the Hawaii locals of the bb think about it?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
pretty stupid
seems like something some high paid haole marketing agency came up with.
do you get some kind of pono pledge card or something?
taylor camp stuff

maui's been hit hard with covid lately with local's are upset and protesting
they're also cracking down at the airport, just make sure you have all your paperwork set and you'll be golden but the TSA waits might be long. Hawaiian time, hawaiian lines

Enjoy your time here
respect begats respect
aloha everywhere if you look for it
but don't take it for granted

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
pretty stupid
seems like something some high paid haole marketing agency came up with.
do you get some kind of pono pledge card or something?
It's called the Mahalo Rewards Card

See "Going Native" the South Park episode for details.

"....When the two boys arrive at Kauai, they are greeted by a group of "native Hawaiians" (who turn out to be simply White Americans owning timeshares there) ...."

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
If you take the pledge then you can't redirect lava flows, feed wild bats, or fall off a cliff while taking a selfie. Why bother going if you can't have any fun?!

But seriously, it's obviously a marketing campaign designed by haoles (because only white people are greedy and manipulative) to acquire lead info from gullible haoles.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
nope
but its the same 70's hippy save the earth mentality from a bunch of non-locals the foundation of elizabeth's son's little playground. Hawaii's ripe for this stuff:

More Recent Taylor Camps:
Cults in Hawaii
Holy Hell
Carbon Nation
Love has Won

Local version:
Kingdom of Atooi

HTA thinks making tourist sign a pledge not to destroy the place will placate upset residents who can't use it because of tourist overflow. Tourist pledges, fees and restrictions are being tossed around by politicians as remedies.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Have a trip planned for late September... Maui to see Pops and then over to Kauai, because, well, it's been too long. Finally staying down in Hanalei... keeping an eye on the road situation as last I hear it was 1-way controlled traffic at certain times of day.

Probably been on the 4 main islands a total of 40 days in my life, and have never been vibed or had a problem, but any advice is appreciated.

I am sorry to hear Maui is getting it harder with Covid-19 infections. That said, I sure hope the rental car situation improves,

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I would always here scary Hawiian stories and be kind of freaked out when I had to go there.

But my interactions with Hawiians have been unexpectedly fantastic.

I think your average Hawiian gets me. :dancing: