Is WSL trying to prevent another Brazilian world champ?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
At some point, the priority buoy has to go. 6 man heats. Mo action, that's for shizzle. I can not be the only person frustrated with good waves going unridden. Overlapping heats is lame too.

The current take the lead and sit on the other strategy, is tedious to observe, at best.

Reactions: TeamScam

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If you come from a culture or society where there are no coincidences - where corruption is rife, the hidden hand controls the market and racism is endemic such as Brasil, Italy or Russia, it is easy to spot conspiracies everywhere.

If you are from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Iceland, such assertions appear to be delusional and foolish.
I see it plain as day. From the USA and no fan of Brazilians. Just calling it like I see it. Filipe is being hosed by the judges this year.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Agree that they pushed Robinson at both Margs and G-Land. I thought Toledo won G-land straight up, and I thought JJF's barrel in the Marg's final was underscored and Robinson's air was overscored.

Griffin's slob straight air was better than any air Toledo did in that El Sal final. Hardest grab there is, and he did it twice in that final.

Reactions: npsp and PRCD

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
its about click throughs for the wsl. probably seeing solid numbers from brazil based ip's and lagging numbers in australia and the states. they are pushing an aussie slate this year and its fine by me tho robbo wouldnt be my favorite son.

pro surfing is tediously slow and scores maybe a 1.87 on the entertainment scale. coolfor the competitors but seriously blows for the average spectator. wsl commentators suvk and the "athletes" are charmless.

so no one other than those making money off it gives a fuck. the big boys ad dollars are on the nba and nfl. to a lesser extent nascar mlb the nhl and the pga. in terms of culture relevance the wsl aint crscking the top 20 of sporting events and thank god for that

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
At some point, the priority buoy has to go. 6 man heats. Mo action, that's for shizzle. I can not be the only person frustrated with good waves going unridden. Overlapping heats is lame too.

The current take the lead and sit on the other strategy, is tedious to observe, at best.
I watched the final and thought Filipe had it despite rooting for Cola as a californian. That being said Medina, Italo and Filipe may have a an edge on airs but it seems like the next crop: Griff, Igarashi, Robinson can do similar for an excellent score.

What nobody else can match is Ewing. His technique and flawlessness stands completely apart. (John has it/ is better in 6ft plus). I would think since his talent is so unique he should be able to surpass the aforementioned guys and be on top (on rights). Hopefully judges stop scoring repetitive air reverses and reward surfing a wave from start to finish flawlessly. Italo and Medina do a lot of half turns and floaters between big airs.

Im curious to see what happens once the Brazo storm gets into their thirties and slows down. I don’t think they have another crop that freakishly good coming…maybe Mateus Herdy if he can beef up.

I love reading the complaints from 90 percent of the Brazilian fans about the judging then clicking on their profile and seeing that they are a full on adult learner or even better dont even surf.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
I see it plain as day. From the USA and no fan of Brazilians. Just calling it like I see it. Filipe is being hosed by the judges this year.
That says more about you than it does about the judging standards of professional surfing.

So was the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on 22 November 1963 in Dallas, Texas the work of a Lone Gunman or a Conspiracy?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
That says more about you than it does about the judging standards of professional surfing.

So was the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on 22 November 1963 in Dallas, Texas the work of a Lone Gunman or a Conspiracy?
LOL - what a choice to illustrate your point!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You're really claiming that clunky looking strait air? Good grief.
I watched some of Colapinto's slob airs on other videos. I can't do airs so I don't know how hard they are to do, but the air reverses, alley-oops, and other spinning airs look way flashier. You can hardly fault the Brazzos for figuring out what scores well and doing it. They're doing what the judges reward.

I think the WSL is far too clunky of an organization to predetermine outcomes.
You don't have to pre-determine outcomes. You just send out a company-wide corporate memo saying what an awesome story Robbo is turning out to be in growth markets.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Seems like they want Jack Robinson to win it. I don't think he should have won either Margaret's or G Land. But, I would take the following: Robo wins this year and Shannon can not be on any future broadcast, ever. Fair enough.

As for Felipe, his surfing in bigger waves has gotten a lot better that past few years. Looking forward to see how he does in Tahiti.
The way this year has been going it'll probably be small and windy at Teahupoo and they'll move the comp to Papara.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bullnutts

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The whole system is rigged!
Some of you guys need to develop more skepticism. Nothing needs to be rigged for the WSL to favor a candidate in a targeted market. People - including judges - know where their bread is buttered. If you've worked in a very narrow market like the ASP/WSL your whole career and have few transferrable skills to adjacent markets, you're especially susceptible to corporate pressure.

Reactions: youcantbeserious

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Some of you guys need to develop more skepticism. Nothing needs to be rigged for the WSL to favor a candidate in a targeted market. People - including judges - know where their bread is buttered. If you've worked in a very narrow market like the ASP/WSL your whole career and have few transferrable skills to adjacent markets, you're especially susceptible to corporate pressure.
I'm just needling Grommy. I would have given the heat to Felipe. So, you think a Brazzo will win in Rio? That would be a tell.

On another note-
I think anyone who claims/points/gestures/eyeballs @ the judges should have their scores halved.

That would take all the Brazilians out of contention for a couple of years at least. Some of them would be done for good. Not capable.
This. Did Curren ever claim?

Reactions: PRCD