Is WSL trying to prevent another Brazilian world champ?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Toledo rips, and in head high surf, he's magic and almost unbeatable because he can do every combo and every trick, often on the same wave. But put him up against JJF or Ethan Ewing or even Griffin and his style just looks so forced. Then crank up the swell and you sit there and have to wonder whether or not he's even going to take off on a true bomb? Yeah, okay. He'll always excel on a schedule that ends at Trestles and includes multiple head high venues. Say what you want about Medina but that guy charges - he's going no matter what and when it comes to straight skill, he is unmatched by anyone but JJF.

I agree there is a noticeable Jack Robinson push this year, and it's pretty lame. The guy rips, let him win for real, it's not like he can't - just give him a few years.

There should be at least one true big wave event on the tour. Make them have to ride guns and fucking want it, for heaven's sake. It is by far and away the most relatable and marketable part of the sport. Everyone gets the "nature wants to kill you" angle. You don't have to know anything else about surfing.

As for slob grabs, you try grabbing with your front hand, between your legs, in the air. Try it on a skateboard. There's a reason it raises eyebrows. If you know you know.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Toledo rips, and in head high surf, he's magic and almost unbeatable because he can do every combo and every trick, often on the same wave. But put him up against JJF or Ethan Ewing or even Griffin and his style just looks so forced. Then crank up the swell and you sit there and have to wonder whether or not he's even going to take off on a true bomb? Yeah, okay. He'll always excel on a schedule that ends at Trestles and includes multiple head high venues. Say what you want about Medina but that guy charges - he's going no matter what and when it comes to straight skill, he is unmatched by anyone but JJF.

I agree there is a noticeable Jack Robinson push this year, and it's pretty lame. The guy rips, let him win for real, it's not like he can't - just give him a few years.

There should be at least one true big wave event on the tour. Make them have to ride guns and fucking want it, for heaven's sake. It is by far and away the most relatable and marketable part of the sport. Everyone gets the "nature wants to kill you" angle. You don't have to know anything else about surfing.

As for slob grabs, you try grabbing with your front hand, between your legs, in the air. Try it on a skateboard. There's a reason it raises eyebrows. If you know you know.
I like to see waves of consequence. I’d watch that all day long. Anything else is kinda meh with limited exceptions.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I am DEFINITELY not arguing against this, I'm just stating how it looks to the untrained eye and what the judges reward. Average Joe nonsurfer/adult learner thinks the rotating airs look cooler/harder/more dramatic. The WSL is trying to broaden the market to increase revenues which means dumbing things down and rewarding drama. You can explain to the execs that this will fail miserably and alienate core fans to no avail. They did the same thing to NASCAR (bobby was right, etc).

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Bring back the Duke at Sunset and insert the Eddie.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Bring back the Duke at Sunset and insert the Eddie.
The WSL doesn't have the budget to afford using Duke's name ~ :roflmao:

T S Restaurants might have something to say
Duke's
Jake's Del Mar
Hula Grill
Sunnyside Restaurant & Lodge
Leilani's On The Beach
Keoki's Paradise
Kimo's

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
“The example I like to use is Kelly Slater, probably being one of the single greatest athletes ever. And a lot of people may not even know; he’s 50 years old, still competing at the highest level and has won 11 world titles – he’s broken every record in competitive sport. We think there are some really great stories – like this one – to tell and connect to the broader eco system, or people who are interested in wider sports.”
Uhhhhh...what about Ed Coan?

My translation of this article is he found a way to sh1tpoast content across enough platforms using bots to generate ad revenue automatically.

As Erik stepped into the frothy surf on that Saturday morning in March 2012, the water chilled his feet, which sparked a surge of anxiety that rushed through the rest of his body. (Overcoming a decades-long fear was not without its challenges.) However, as Erik waded deeper into the Pacific, his wetsuit compensated for the ocean’s brisk temperature—and that alone put him at ease.

“It felt like a suit of armor for me,” he says. “I immediately felt safe. That allowed me to start to experience emotionally what the ocean had to offer.”

Those benefits of the ocean, along with the cathartic elements that surfing can provide, are in Erik’s opinion largely existential. “It’s an individual, soul-connecting, spiritual moment where you have an opportunity to ride raw energy,” he says. “The journey of catching waves and feeling and riding that energy is never the same whenever you do it. Every wave is different and has been created thousands of miles away. There are things in the world that are much bigger than you, and I find that the ocean is a great grounding mechanism in that way for me.”
1655849496981.png
Not really.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I watched some of Colapinto's slob airs on other videos. I can't do airs so I don't know how hard they are to do, but the air reverses, alley-oops, and other spinning airs look way flashier. You can hardly fault the Brazzos for figuring out what scores well and doing it. They're doing what the judges reward.

You don't have to pre-determine outcomes. You just send out a company-wide corporate memo saying what an awesome story Robbo is turning out to be in growth markets.

Again,
this assumes a level of sophistication that I, from experience, do not see in the WSL.

And the judging staff is even further removed from this vision of ELo as Geppetto. There isn't much interaction between the two groups. They are in the same orbit, but they are not the same planet.

Or something like that.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Again,
this assumes a level of sophistication that I, from experience, do not see in the WSL.
I see plenty of sophistication in the WSL for this. How long did you work for a GloboTechMegaCorp? This just in - incestuous board hopping from other pro sports leagues, just like the tech world!
Logan said, “I’m thrilled to welcome Jason to the WSL team. His rich professional experience, as well as his personal investment in our sport, will be invaluable as we continue to grow a global business and make professional surfing one of the premier sports in the world. The WSL is in the midst of a truly breakout 2022 season, with growth in nearly every area of our business. Jason is going to help us invest our resources strategically and efficiently to build on that momentum and capitalise on this moment.”
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

And the judging staff is even further removed from this vision of ELo as Geppetto. There isn't much interaction between the two groups. They are in the same orbit, but they are not the same planet.

Or something like that.
Seems like the judging staff would somehow have to be hermetically sealed from the commentators, competitors, and organizers then. Tell me another.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Um. What are the odds that a Brazilian wins the next men's contest? And probably the women's too.
You're on a pretty well fortified limb there.

Brazilians have won 80% of the time in the last 5 years.
Felipe won 3 of them himself and remains in the draw in top form.
Nearly 50% of the draw is Brazilian. Nearly double the next largest demographic (Aus with 25%, Us with 20% if you count Kanoa. Less if you don't.).

Therefore.
Odds are good for a Brazilian to win the men's event.
Odds are good that the World Title will be won by a Brazilian.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I see plenty of sophistication in the WSL for this. How long did you work for a GloboTechMegaCorp? This just in - incestuous board hopping from other pro sports leagues, just like the tech world!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seems like the judging staff would somehow have to be hermetically sealed from the commentators, competitors, and organizers then. Tell me another.
This is boring.

The WSL as Org/Marketing vehicle/unprofitable-but-self-aggrandizing-niche-content-creator-media company exists almost totally separately from the relatively simple and enduring practice of trying to determine who surfs better. It's been a largely unchanged practice since the 60's and almost identical to what it looked like before they picked 3 different letters to call it.

The hermetic seal is mostly social. The judging staff rarely moves in the same circle as the office staff. They don't get the invites. They don't get asked for their insights. Just go to work. Most of the fuckery that goes into the kooky marketing (and the good marketing, to be fair), exists on a different planet to the actual work of scoring rides.

I understand what you are saying.
I agree that it is a possibility and certainly appears to occur in other sports (NBA refs "protecting" star players and overly reffing "trouble" players comes to mind).
I believe most of the judging missteps fall more heavily on errors that are inherent in the job.

But maybe you're right.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm bored.
From ELo's point of view, that's "mission accomplished" - homogenize, then monetize! What are you going to do, watch NASCAR or the NFL? The same thing already happened to those leagues.