Is this normal?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Very few shapers are aware of or would ever use this PayPal clause as a tool with potential to harm their business. Insurance would have put you in a similar situation.
I'd hope the first part of your post is true, but if the board was fully insured, I would have got my money back.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
That's the annoying thing. I kept all my emails very civil, and even tried to appeal to his sense of justice, but he didn't even reply to the last two. I'm sure if he was ever in a similar situation he wouldn't just accept it. I just can't see how he manages to balance his response with his own conscience. That sounds a bit over-the-top, but if I ran my own business I wouldn't just let my customers take the hit if something went wrong.
This!
Why any provider would let their customer take the hit is beyond me. This thread has been viewed 5,000 times. Let's say 10% of the viewers were interested in getting a board from this guy but are now disillusioned because of this thread. That is a loss of 500 potential orders. Using the 80/20 rule, maybe a real loss of 100 orders due to poor customer service. Somewhere in this thread I saw that he makes $150.00 in net profit (what he puts in his pocket) for his boards. That's $15K in lost business over a $400.00 issue.
As I noted earlier, the guy is a dunce.

Dec 23, 2018
Venice California
Used to work for HS in their el segundo factory and remember talking to one of the fedex drivers about boards being damaged in the delivery process. He said the best way to deal with it is, if the box is damaged, don’t sign for it and accept it... Guessing it’ll get sent back and they‘ll probably have to investigate it themselves to find out what happened. If the board was damaged due to the delivery guy’s negligence, then it’ll probably come out of his pocket.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Anyone know the fine print for Venmo, which I believe is basically Paypal, no?

What about Square Cash?

I understand why shapers don't want to pay the credit card fee, nor apple pay fee. Square Cash is free, however.
Pay Pal owns Venmo

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Guys selling and shipping boards need to take care of their customers- this sucks.

What he should have offered was to take whatever money from the claim + rush job a brand new/replacement board to you.

This is the way to go IMO. Seller’s $ loss is marginal-going to recover cost of making and shipping board at a minimum & seller avoids pissing off & losing customer and other potential customers.

Totally penny-wise/pound foolish.

If someone is going to be completely hands off/not my problem/customers responsibility they should make that absolutely crystal clear to the customer before even making the board.

Reactions: Havoc and Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Used to work for HS in their el segundo factory and remember talking to one of the fedex drivers about boards being damaged in the delivery process. He said the best way to deal with it is, if the box is damaged, don’t sign for it and accept it... Guessing it’ll get sent back and they‘ll probably have to investigate it themselves to find out what happened. If the board was damaged due to the delivery guy’s negligence, then it’ll probably come out of his pocket.
Yeah, I was aware of this, but took the board as the delivery guy said I can just sort it out with the shipping company and Gary would have been charged the return shipping if I didn't sign for it.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Guys selling and shipping boards need to take care of their customers- this sucks.

What he should have offered was to take whatever money from the claim + rush job a brand new/replacement board to you.

This is the way to go IMO. Seller’s $ loss is marginal-going to recover cost of making and shipping board at a minimum & seller avoids pissing off & losing customer and other potential customers.

Totally penny-wise/pound foolish.

If someone is going to be completely hands off/not my problem/customers responsibility they should make that absolutely crystal clear to the customer before even making the board.
I had a board smashed going back to UK in the summer by Cathay Pacific, so this was the second board issue that I've had to go through in 6 months. I was over going through it again, but I woulda taken 10% off my next order. Gary offered nothing...

Reactions: Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm down with that as a customer, but I want to pay and deal with the shipping company myself. So I can buy the correct insurance and file the claim (if something happens).

Reactions: Goodfish

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
God this thread is a bummer. I've considered ordering a board from McNeill in the past. Not so much now.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that and he probably should consider how much potential business he's lost
over this.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Really bummed for you, that was an expensive mistake. I still cant believe he didn't make it right, or offer to make you another board if you pick it up? I know I'll never order a board from him, and it kinda surprises me that's how he does business.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I'm down with that as a customer, but I want to pay and deal with the shipping company myself. So I can buy the correct insurance and file the claim (if something happens).
That's how my Burch boards were shipped. I got the receipt, paid the shipping company through a broker who handles the customs issues, then picked up the boards from them. If there was any issue, then I would get to deal with it myself. Felt much better that way...

Mar 27, 2018
Sorry, but where do you live where you have to have everything shipped to you? Seems awfully expensive.