Is this normal?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've done charge backs with Paypal and gotten money back. They can be on it if you have all the evidence, which you do.

It erks me that he's not even trying to offer something of value to make up for the loss of money. Not even a fcking discount on a future board, which I wouldn't order any way.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense when your paying a G for a new board and just in case it gets totalled you want to insure it for less to save a few bucks on shipping? This is the exact situation that shipping insurance should be used for and unless the OP has misled us or omitted something, it seems like Gary has screwed him to save a buck himself.

Do you GG advocate for your customers to declare the board value for less to save on shipping costs? DO you explain to them that if damage were to occur then the insurance may not cover the damage? Would you give a customer a full refund if this were to happen to one of your customers?
I usually do what the customer asks .
Many have asked for me to declare a much lower value for lower customs charges .

I don't make any more doing this .

Reactions: JBerry

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Slagging on Firewire for business model of undercutting hand shapers & slagging on McNeill for handling this situation poorly are not in any way related.
I beg to differ. The perception of poor business practice by both mentioned is the link.
Anyway the surf is shite and I'm suffering from a torn knee ligament so just being uncharacteristically belligerent. I'll go and play with the flat earthers instead.

Reactions: Aruka and retodd

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense when your paying a G for a new board and just in case it gets totalled you want to insure it for less to save a few bucks on shipping? This is the exact situation that shipping insurance should be used for and unless the OP has misled us or omitted something, it seems like Gary has screwed him to save a buck himself.

Do you GG advocate for your customers to declare the board value for less to save on shipping costs? DO you explain to them that if damage were to occur then the insurance may not cover the damage? Would you give a customer a full refund if this were to happen to one of your customers?
Yeah, I was not asked or told about this practice. Also, it wouldn't make much sense for me to choose it when all the factors (cost of board, shipping, etc.) are considered. All of the customs I've had have all been shipped here. Never noticed this practice before. XTR don't do it.

Also, I appreciate everyone's advice and help. I'm not really into the blame game, but I think I should be treated fairly. I know Gary didn't want this to happen, but I think it's wrong to put it all on me. I sent him an email about it as I find it difficult that he couldn't see my point of view. I've given you guys all the facts. Not interested in trying to hide anything. This is just what happened as plainly as I can tell it. I was ready to accept the 2/3 compensation, but when he wouldn't even give me a discount on a future order, I thought it's a bit off...

PS. I feel kinda gangster being referred to as the OP. Thanks, Greg! It's funny how I know your name. Would you prefer it if I called you 'Responder'? Haha...

Reactions: griffinsurfboard

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Greg, what would you do if you were the shaper in this exact situation?

Would appreciate the insight seeing as you must have been in a situation similar to this before, right?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Gary has always rubbed me the wrong way when I've met him in person a few times. Sort of stubborn and immovable. Lots of ego and hustle. I love my RTT and it has real magic. The guy knows how to shape and his products are excellent, but I've never had any interest in ordering from him again.

I love that story in the Dane Acid Test about Gary sending him an RTT years ago and saying "get ready for the best board you've ever surfed!"...and it just sat in Dane's garage for a few years. I think one of his buddies painted over the artwork, LOL.

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
I have my boards shipped airfreight. The cheapest method I have found and have had good luck. The insurance is reasonable. I get the airway bill ready, so all the sharper (or their employee) has to do is drop it off at the airfreight office. If you can get them to make the drive to the airport. That's the key. You find out how cool your shaper really is at this point. Tim Stamps, you are the coolest!

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks for the response, Responder! Just to be clear, my question related to the whole situation...

If you made and shipped a board to someone, then it was badly damaged in transit, and all the evidence showed the fault to be with the shipping company, are you saying you would remake the board for them regardless of the outcome of the claim? If they didn't want the board remade, would you give them a full refund regardless of the claim's compensation?

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The fact that he told you that you live in "the worst place to ship boards," already told me he knew it was problematic before shipping. Sometimes you have to say no to business if you think it puts you at risk. He knew it was risky but he did it any way. Because of that he should be trying to make it right. Send you demo boards with his shipping credit, send you some fins, fuck I don't know but make an effort.

Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, I was quite surprised that he made absolutely no effort in trying to make it up to me. If he had offered something off my next order, I would have dropped this whole thing. It's only from the advice I've had from you guys and my own sense of the injustice that I've made a claim to get the cost of the shipping back from PayPal. He hasn't responded to it or the email I sent him yet, but I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Reactions: waxfoot

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Talk about a carbon footprint, buying a board from Australia, when you could have gotten one locally made?

At least you could have had Gretta deliver it by sailboat. She would have taken better care of it.