Is this normal?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
That's really appreciated, Maz. Seriously. However, there are a lot more worthy causes out there than me and my broken board. Plus if it's looking OK once it's fixed, I should be able to sell it to make up the loss.

Again, really appreciate the offer though!

Reactions: jkb

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ehhhhhh I don't like Gary's approach here. I have a bleeding heart for board builders, particularly guys who've done this for decades, but it sounds sketch. He's getting a shipping credit for which he charges his own rates to customers... meaning his $900 credit could really be $1200 to $1500 depending on what he charges customers (since he pays shipper directly we don't know what his bulk rate is). Even if he charges exactly what his rate is, he's still getting that money back.

Say the customs duty is a wash regardless of board condition, so you've got to eat $266 AUD ($326 minus $60 in customs) and he's not even going to offer a discount on your next board? Wow. I'm baffled.

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Unfortunately for Gary it really has to be chalked up to the cost of doing business.
He really needs to sack up on this one if what you say is true with all of your proof that you have.
He pretty much will lose for sure many if not more than 10 customers due to this one deal that will wash away any profits he had, for not taking care of your loss. There's no way he lost even close what you've lost with the deal he's trying to work.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Ehhhhhh I don't like Gary's approach here. I have a bleeding heart for board builders, particularly guys who've done this for decades, but it sounds sketch. He's getting a shipping credit for which he charges his own rates to customers... meaning his $900 credit could really be $1200 to $1500 depending on what he charges customers (since he pays shipper directly we don't know what his bulk rate is). Even if he charges exactly what his rate is, he's still getting that money back.

Say the customs duty is a wash regardless of board condition, so you've got to eat $266 AUD ($326 minus $60 in customs) and he's not even going to offer a discount on your next board? Wow. I'm baffled.
Yeah, also on the customs invoice and his commercial invoice I see he declared the board as AU$795 instead of the AU$969 that I paid. Seems like more and more sketch the more I look into it. That also explains why the compensation was less than it should have been.

Last edited:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Final update. After having to chase Gary up about transferring the compensation, I finally got it this morning. It's about 2/3 of the total I paid for the board, but whatever. Sad to say, I don't think this was handled as well as it could have been by Gary and his team. I think they should have offered me something to make up the difference on what I lost, and after the compensation claim was finalised and invoiced, I don't think they should have made me wait another 2 weeks until they had it in their accounts before sending it to me.

The boards I've had from Gary have been epic. The damage that happened to this board in transit is obviously not his fault, but to put it all on me leaves a bit of a bitter taste. For that reason, I won't be ordering from him again. Oh, well...

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah, also on the customs invoice and his commercial invoice I see he declared the board as AU$795 instead of the AU$969 that I paid. Seems like more and more sketch the more I look into it. That also explains why the compensation was less than it should have been.
Less tax and insurance he's gotta pay, I would keep pestering him till he forks over the rest of the money. If all else fails take it to social media
:bricks:

Reactions: Goodfish

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
I see you paid with PayPal also, dispute the charge with them. You've got nothing more to lose at this point.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
You should contact the credit card company and dispute the charge by Gary. He basically defrauded you by undervaluing the insurance, as well as not bothering to ensure that the board was fully covered. If he is going to ship boards, he needs to take responsibility for proper insurance. If he got a shipping credit, he really screwed you good.

If I were you I would not let him get away with it. The credit card company will probably make you whole and hopefully charge it to Gary for his shady practices. Not sure why you are so averse to contacting them. They make billions. Your claim is a drop in the bucket.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
OK, I submitted a claim at the PayPal resolution center. However, it goes to Gary first. So, I followed that up with a payment request for the shipping. If I get that back, then I'll just quit. The only thing I'd be down then would be the customs duty and some spare change from the board. We'll see what happens...

Reactions: racer1 and fishtank

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Good luck, paypal is generally chit at resolving anything. There are entire websites devoted to their general chitiness.

i've had a few bad ebay experiences courtesy of them.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
You cannot quit. Basically what you received is worthless, that board is never going to be the same. Keep going until all options are exhausted or you’re fully reimbursed.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Bummer all around. Doesn’t seem like a smart way to run a business. This place gets some views too - doubt you’re the only one no longer interested in the boards.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I see he declared the board as AU$795 instead of the AU$969

Most customers want and ask for this lower declared value to keep charges down .

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense when your paying a G for a new board and just in case it gets totalled you want to insure it for less to save a few bucks on shipping? This is the exact situation that shipping insurance should be used for and unless the OP has misled us or omitted something, it seems like Gary has screwed him to save a buck himself.

Do you GG advocate for your customers to declare the board value for less to save on shipping costs? DO you explain to them that if damage were to occur then the insurance may not cover the damage? Would you give a customer a full refund if this were to happen to one of your customers?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
The guy is screwing you. You're the customer you should be made whole. This is a cost of doing business and the supplier needs to make you whole. If they do not, that is horrible customer service and no matter how good the product is, this is unacceptable treatment. In this day of social media any supplier should work extra hard to make sure the customers buying experience is excellent or risk losing and/or going out of business. This is a small world and word gets around.
Remember, 1 "oh sh!t" erases 1,000 "atta boys". It's all about how you handle the "oh sh!t" that keeps your customers loyal. This guy had the opportunity to turn you into a life long customer; instead he lost not only your business but potentially the business of everyone that is following this thread because he handled this "oh sh!t" very poorly.