Is this normal?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
As I mentioned in the board order thread, TNT/FedEx totalled my new Gary McNeill board. See pic for details - they went right through the carbon rail, across the fin box and the tail of the board. The fightback has started, and I got pics of the damaged box before I opened it, the damaged packaging before I opened it, and the damaged board as I opened it. I've also got screenshots of the tracking updates that state where and when the board got damaged.

Anyway, after calling TNT they asked me to send all the pics to them to start the claim process. I also sent them the invoice for the board and the PayPal receipts that show I paid for the board and then the shipping costs.

After a few back-and-forths, they have now told me that the claim will be handled by TNT AUS as that was where the shipping was paid for. Also, as I didn't pay for the shipping directly, I am not eligible to make the claim. That means that it's up to Gary back in Aus to make the claim. I've sent him all the pics and info I have, and he's told me that his broker is on to them.

I'm just wondering is this normal, and does anyone else have any experience like this? Seems bizarre that I can't be in control of the claim even though I've paid out almost AU$1400 for the product!

Any insight would be mucho appreciated. Now for the sad...
IMG-4519.jpg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah, whoever paid for the shipping (directly to the shipping company) is usually the one that has to make the claim. I've dealt with a lot of product manufacturers and when boxes go missing they have to file the claim. Then they credit me on my next order or refund me (if it was a one time thing). So if all goes right, Gary will be monetarily reimbursed plus a shipping credit and make you another one (or you can ask him for a refund). The shitty thing is that this may take MONTHS.

I'm sorry Goodfish. Shitty situation for everybody and now you're stuck waiting.

Reactions: Aruka and Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Damn! It's such a scam. Dunno how these companies can run over boxes/slam them in doors, and still have all this protection.

Thanks for the insight, racer. Hopefully we'll have a quick resolution as it's such a headache dealing with all the emails, calls, and thinking about it.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
They have insurance that covers this and they do so much volume that it's probably less than 1% of shipments get damaged or lost. Although surfboards it seems like 10% get damaged.

Reactions: Goodfish

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Ive had a couple boards damaged by FedEx, none to your extent. I told them in my correspondence how much a repair would be approximately. Both boards were between 60-80 to fix the damage, so not too bad. Both times they reimbursed me the full cost of the whole board, not just a repair, which immediately went to a new board... and i kept the damaged board.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Ive had a couple boards damaged by FedEx, none to your extent. I told them in my correspondence how much a repair would be approximately. Both boards were between 60-80 to fix the damage, so not too bad. Both times they reimbursed me the full cost of the whole board, not just a repair, which immediately went to a new board... and i kept the damaged board.
Oh, man...I hope my situation works out like that. There aren't many ding docs around here, and the one I've used before is expensive and not great. Based on past experience, I think he would charge about $300 to fix this up. Plus what's the impact of the break through the width of the carbon rail in terms of the integrity of the board's strength? There's no stringer on this board, so I'm guessing all the strength is in the continuation of the carbon strips on the rails. Is that right? Can carbon be patched?

Appreciate everyone's insight in calming my fragile mind. Gutted to receive a broken board, but all the effort in the emails, phone calls and just thinking about it is even worse. It's just frustrating that I have no say in making the claim. I'm sure Gary will plead my case, but it must be a headache for him too...

• Angry
Reactions: Havoc

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, I'm over the board. Just might have to get some cash back on it if FedEx try to fiddle me...

Reactions: Havoc

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
very fixable though if thy dont want the damaged board back

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, those are my thoughts too. Just gotta play the waiting game now. Super frustrating that the claim is totally out of my hands, and I have no say in how to state my case.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Update: Getting about AU$1000 back. Still $400 down, but it's better than nothing.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
yeah thats no bueno!

PS I could fix it for you for $200 than you can sell it brand new for $600 and get your $$ back ;)

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I suggest the collective do a little fundraiser, if you do end up out of pocket.

post your PayPal email and we can help out a bit.

• Haha

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yup, this might be worth a charge back. And unfortunately it's to Gary. Product was not delivered in working condition.

Honestly, it sounds like Gary or his shipping person is holding back something - it doesn't make sense that the shipping company is only refunding $1,000 when the overall cost is $1,400. Unless Gary and crew really overcharged you on the shipping.

If I was Gary, I'd be telling you that you will either get all your money back or a new board at no additional cost. Part of shipping boards. Gary already made his money.

Last edited:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, I was a bit surprised to be honest. All the evidence pointed to them being totally at fault. I had the pics of the box, pics of the board in the wrapping, the screenshots of the tracking showing it had been damaged in transit, and the evidence of the board itself.

Gary said it's not the claim he wanted either, but that "if I wasn't with a broker it would be a lot less". He said they won't insure boards being shipped. He also said I was in the worst place in the world for shipping boards. I told him that left me down $400 with nothing to show for it apart from a worthless, broken board. I asked for a discount on my next order, but he rejected that too. He gave me a confusing attempt at an explanation about how he is down over $900. I didn't understand that as I've already paid him for the board, so he's got his money. I think he meant that TNT (who shipped the board) only gave him freight credit for future shipments, so the amount I'm getting back is from him personally. However, when he eventually uses up his credit, he'll have got all his money back, but I'm still in the same situation.

Yeah, I was considering getting in touch with my credit card. Feels a bit of a bad way to play though. Gary said he makes only $150 profit per board, and all the people involved in the making of it have been paid already.

Here's the breakdown of the costs:

Board: AU$945
Shipping: AU$290
Customs duty: AU$60
Total: AU$1295

I get back AU$969, so a loss of AU$326. Not quite AU$400, my bad. I am thinking of getting the board fixed (another AU$150), and then selling it cheap to make up the rest. My friends who have had a look at the board think it could be OK, but then again it could snap on the first surf. Feels bad passing that on to someone else, so I would make sure they know the gamble when buying the board.

I appreciate all the support from you good people of the errb. It feels kinda cathartic to share this with people who understand. Group hug?:drowning:

Now I'm just hoping my Burch boards arrive in pristine condition...

Reactions: jkb