Is this how you treat a member of the armed forces during a routine traffic stop?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
what happened before? whyd he get pulled over? dwb? imagine serving your country to protect ass clowns like these pigs.
Supposedly could not read his rear license plate, interesting to see who will defend this one?

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
messed up. race play a factor, sure. being in the military, sure. who knows what else, time will tell in the courts.

both my folks were military 25 years+ and from my experience, the "townies" generally had a bone to pick, a rift between the "locals" and the "base". my pops picked up a few "traffic" violations in uniform and civilian clothes, he stopped fighting them, said it wasn't worth it. pay the fine and move on with life. didn't help he was an aviator in a corvette. i felt it in the schools.

ever try to pick up a local girl near a military base? ha. many a time in VAB and 0% success as they thought I was military

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
messed up. race play a factor, sure. being in the military, sure. who knows what else, time will tell in the courts.

both my folks were military 25 years+ and from my experience, the "townies" generally had a bone to pick, a rift between the "locals" and the "base". my pops picked up a few "traffic" violations in uniform and civilian clothes, he stopped fighting them, said it wasn't worth it. pay the fine and move on with life. didn't help he was an aviator in a corvette. i felt it in the schools.

ever try to pick up a local girl near a military base? ha. many a time in VAB and 0% success as they thought I was military
I bet Hal never had a problem finding a “date” around a military base. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s my understanding that in this day and age an officer in the US army has a college degree and would know how to react to a direct order through having it beat into his head as a first lt. Are we missing something here?

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s my understanding that in this day and age an officer in the US army has a college degree and would know how to react to a direct order through having it beat into his head as a first lt. Are we missing something here?
Yes, you're missing a lot here.

Cops should not be behaving like that. Start there.

Obeying orders of cops who abuse their power because of their fragile egos, is not the solution to this problem.

Obeying orders of an abusive cop as a self-preservation tactic - sure, it's a band-aid, but that's still not the actual solution.

Preventing cops from abusing their power is the solution.

I can never understand this insane reasoning.

It's like saying that if people obeyed Stalin, they wouldn't have been sent to the goulag - while never acknowledging that Stalin is evil and the actual cause of the problem.

Who thinks like that?
Oh yeah, you.

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzld1

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

Obeying orders of cops who abuse their power because of their fragile egos, is not the solution to this problem.

Obeying orders of an abusive cop as a self-preservation tactic - sure, it's a band-aid, but that's still not the actual solution.

It's like saying that if people obeyed Stalin, they wouldn't have been sent to the goulag - while never acknowledging that Stalin is evil and the actual cause of the problem.

Who thinks like that?
Oh yeah, you.

people like him constantly make stupid comments because they’re ignorant of or indifferent to America history.

for example, this......how many people know that forms of slavery existed well into the 20th century?

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/janfeb-2013/americas-twentieth-century-slavery/

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Really sorry to read/see this incident on the news yesterday.

We need to keep in mind that the police are ‘human’ and/or may use poor judgement that may be influenced by numerous other factors... racism, a problematic previous stop, loss of another (officer, family, friend), etc.

The old adage, if you get stopped by a cop for any reason, simply follow the cops direction whether you feel you did nothing wrong or not. Yes sir, No sir is what I’ve taught my kids... it seemed to work but, I also recognize they are not of color and probably not going to experience reverse racism if they follow the directions of the police.

There are always steps one can take after a questionable stop (file a formal misconduct complaint to the agency, to your elected officials in the district, even the press, etc.). There won’t be a “pay day” for following problematic directions but the chances of not being pepper sprayed (or worse) will likely get one home a lot faster than a no-win argument or disregard of a lawful order (lawful in the sense the officer is taking the first step in investigating or resolving a possible infraction).

No one wins when one of the parties is ‘obstructing justice.’

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
No context here. Video starts with guns out. I’d guess that something happened before the start of video that prompted that.

Arguing with cops never ends up well.

Cop says get out of the car. Get out of the car idiot.

Even if the pulling of guns was an over reaction to whatever prompted it, once the dude was told, at gun point, to get out of the car he should get the fuck out of the car.

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
He had his seatbelt on. He had his hands up. He would have to lower his hands to unbuckle his seat belt. He was trying to not get shot.
You announce your movements before making them....

”get out of the car”

”my seat belt is on, im going to remove it. Is that ok?”

It’s not rocket surgery.

It’s also wise to not do whatever he did to get those cops to pull guns in the first place.

If you really believe that the cops pulled him over simply for being black, hopped out with guns drawn for no reason and started screaming at him hoping he’d move in a way to justify shooting him then no amount of evidence or logic will help you in any way.

I’m not saying the cops did the right thing here. I’m saying that the actions of the driver contribute, probably significantly, to what the outcome we see in the video.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Who thinks like that?
Oh yeah, you.
It sounds like you will be in vehement disagreement with posts 15 and 16 above.

Stalin. Right.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Did you see that video where that black guy was shot by the police as he was talking to then in the passenger seat of a car?