is the term "haole" an inside joke for Hawaiians? move the "a" then you have "a-hole"

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No breath of life, ha.

The early Americans and Europeans would not greet in the traditional Hawaiian way, sharing the breath of life- aloha. Thus the name. Oneula or PPK can correct me if my interpretation is inaccurate.

2015-04-02-tmt-arrests02.jpg

This was a photo of a local police officer sent to arrest locals protesting the construction of telescopes on Mauna Kea. I always thought this photo has deep meaning.

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
Are Asians considers haoles as well or is there another term for them?
Asians, such as Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, emigrated to Hawaii in the 1800 as laborers, like in most places of the world. I can't think of any racial terms for each race. I think you good as long as no one calls you a portugee

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
No breath of life, ha.

The early Americans and Europeans would not greet in the traditional Hawaiian way, sharing the breath of life- aloha. Thus the name. Oneula or PPK can correct me if my interpretation is inaccurate.

View attachment 85226

This was a photo of a local police officer sent to arrest locals protesting the construction of telescopes on Mauna Kea. I always thought this photo has deep meaning.
‘Ah yes. The anti-science religious fanatics.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life." It comes from "Alo," meaning presence, front and face, and "ha," meaning breath. Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect. The picture with the police and protestor shows them sharing breath.

Haole, some say, literally means without breath (ha-ole). Kind of the antithesis of aloha.

When I grew up haole was reserved for whites. It is especially derogatory if it was used with an adjective. Local haole is one who embraces local customs.

Reactions: Topazslider

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
‘Ah yes. The anti-science religious fanatics.
Sure , some of them, other folks just want more than a buck a year on a lease for lands legally designated to benefit Native Hawaiians, when UH makes tens of millions renting out observatory time. Or maybe a plan to remove the obsolete, junked telescopes rotting at the top of the mountain?

Haole, out! :)

Reactions: afoaf

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sure , some of them, other folks just want more than a buck a year on a lease for lands legally designated to benefit Native Hawaiians, when UH makes tens of millions renting out observatory time. Or maybe a plan to remove the obsolete, junked telescopes rotting at the top of the mountain?

Haole, out! :)

When the 90 foot telescope inevitably gets built, I will never comprehend why we aren't charging them $10M a month. In all their promotional materials they have stated that Mauna Kea is "the best place" to build their telescope. They gave us all the leverage to name our price and we charged $1.00 per year. Meanwhile they rent it out at pure profit. Another lost opportunity for Hawaiians due to mismanagement by the State of Hawaii. I'm not anti-science, I'm pro-money.

Computer Science Native Hawaiian, out.

Last edited:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Portagee is worse?

Last time in Hawaii I kept getting asked “what you? Haole or portagee?” Lmao

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
When the 90 foot telescope inevitably gets built, I will never comprehend why we aren't charging them $10M a month. In all their promotional materials they have stated that Mauna Kea is "the best place" to build their telescope. They gave us all the leverage to name our price and we charged $1.00 per year. Meanwhile they rent it out at pure profit. Another lost opportunity for Hawaiians due to mismanagement by the State of Hawaii. I'm not anti-science, I'm pro-money.

Computer Science Native Hawaiian, out.
Deal is deal.

And “pure profit”? Who pays for the maintenance, staffing, etc.?

And what else are you going to use the land for? It’s cheap because it has no other $$$ value.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Whats a portugee?
"Portagee" is a local colloquialism of people of Portuguese descent in Hawaii. They were one of the waves of immigrants who came to the islands to work the sugar plantations. Most came from the Azores and Madeira. When I was growing up, Portagee jokes were kind of like the local Polish jokes.

Local comedian Frank Delima put down all the races, including his own Portuguese.

Btw, the ukulele was introduced to the islands by the Portuguese, along with the malasada.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Deal is deal.

And “pure profit”? Who pays for the maintenance, staffing, etc.?

And what else are you going to use the land for? It’s cheap because it has no other $$$ value.
Oh, you'll love this. Telescope tech / maintenance team is contracted out by the University. It's a highly valued position because during down time you get to use the telescope, so companies PAY the University to be staff. Another form of profit for the University.

I'd rather have it sit empty than watch the University and telescope company make millions and millions every year with a tiny bit trickling down to Native Hawaiians and majority of that money leaving the islands back to Intel, CalTech, Japan, Canada, India, China and whoever else invested in it.

Whenever the telescope community says there's no money in the telescope, I want to reenact the scene from Batman when Bain is on the trading floor at NYSE and that smart ass trader says "This is the stock exchange, there's no money here!" and Bain says, "Really? Then why are you people here?" LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesgang and afoaf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'd rather have it sit empty than watch the University and telescope company make millions and millions every year with a tiny bit trickling down to Native Hawaiians and majority of that money leaving the islands back to Intel, CalTech, Japan, Canada, India, China and whoever else invested in it.
I just don’t understand this way of thinking.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
racer don’t feed the trolls. Cliff Kapono put up a clip on his IG a few months ago explaining his opposition to TMT. Not sure if it’s still there. Cliff is a Native Hawaiian and part of the scientific community that depends on grants to survive. He’s an absolute ripper on all kinds of surfcraft too. He checks all the boxes. Smarter and more educated than most of us on this forum, Hawaiian and can surf circles around almost everyone except lurking pro surfers.

http://instagr.am/p/B0QQmh0nLSi/