Is the fact that we have so many coronavirus cases and deaths in the United States just coincidence or bad luck?

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Is there something different about the populatio of the US? Why are we being so disproportionately affecte?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
New York City, the practice of putting covid positive people will n nursing homes (not just in New York), plus counting deaths of people WITH covid even when covid was not the cause of death are all major contributors.

Reactions: redrider

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Is there something different about the populatio of the US? Why are we being so disproportionately affecte?
We are?

Your source has us behind Belgium, Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, France, Sweden, Netherlands and Ireland.

So we're # 9

And why are we that high?

It is a fact that if anybody dies in this country and they test COVID19 positive it is classed as a COVID death. If my 93 year old father who is full of cancer succumbs to cancer and the autopsy reveals he was COVID + but asymptomatic it will be called a COVID death. People with long standing heart conditions who have massive heart attacks while COVID asymptomatic... that's a covid death.

Past that, we are an international hub for air travel. We ain't New Zealand. Unfortunately.

We have an obese population.

An aging population, (huge factor, look it up)

A genetically diverse population.

Almost 10% of our population is diabetic.

Vitamin D deficiency is looking to be a factor. That problem is particularly acute in the African American population and seems to correspond with an increased risk of death. (This has been covered by the media for the last few days)

Further, Americans are rebellious. We always have been. We don't like to be told what to do. We don't take direction well. It's both our strength and our vulnerability.

Trump should have shut down international air travel. It still isn't shut down to my satisfaction. If he had done it early, we would be in better shape. It also would have been "racism" on his part in certain quarters. But hindsight and all...

Then there is the Chinese hoarding of PPE and the subsequent shortages. That increased the death toll a number of places. Italy particularly, but here as well.

Past that, every scientist I have heard speak on flattening the curve has indicated that flattening the curve will NOT save lives. The same number of people will wind up dying, you are just slowing down the pace of those deaths so as not to overwhelm your medical facilities.

This was never going to go well for us. I can remember people at the CDC sounding the alarm re the inevitable coming pandemic since I was a child. We have ignored those warnings. The world has ignored those warnings. We are a population that is out of control on the planet. We are an overpopulation. Nature has always had a way of dealing with out of control populations.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
We are?

Your source has us behind Belgium, Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, France, Sweden, Netherlands and Ireland.

So we're # 9

It is a fact that if anybody dies in this country and they test COVID19 positive it is classed as a COVID death. If my 93 year old father who is full of cancer succumbs to cancer and the autopsy reveals he was COVID + but asymptomatic it will be called a COVID death. People with long standing heart conditions who have massive heart attacks while COVID asymptomatic... that's a covid death.

Past that, we are an international hub for air travel. We ain't New Zealand. Unfortunately.

Vitamin D deficiency is looking to be a factor. That problem is particularly acute in the African American population and seems to correspond with an increased risk of death. (This has been covered by the media for the last few days)

Further, Americans are rebellious. We always have been. We don't like to be told what to do. We don't take direction well. It's both our strength and our vulnerability.

Trump should have shut down international air travel. It still isn't shut down to my satisfaction. If he had done it early, we would be in better shape. It also would have been "racism" on his part in certain quarters. But hindsight and all...

Then there is the Chinese hoarding of PPE and the subsequent shortages. That increased the death toll a number of places. Italy particularly, but here as well.

Past that, every scientist I have heard speak on flattening the curve has indicated that flattening the curve will NOT save lives. The same number of people will wind up dying, you are just slowing down the pace of those deaths so as not to overwhelm your medical facilities.

Your post is correct.

But group leader hal9000 and his minions won't have any of it.

They will just keep telling us we can be just like South Korea but "Trumby" won't allow it.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
No mistake, Trump IS an idiot. It would be nice to have a president right now that wasn't a chronic liar/bullshitter. You can't believe anything that comes out of his mouth. Someone a little more "presidential" (for lack of a better term) would help to calm the herd. This president just stokes conspiracy madness and division. It's like having a meth addled game show host in charge of the country. Things would be better if he would just shut the fvck up and stop with the tweeting.

But even so, I don't believe much would be materially different if Hillary was president. Although we probably would have been bombing somebody.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
We are?

So we're # 9

This was never going to go well for us. I can remember people at the CDC sounding the alarm re the inevitable coming pandemic since I was a child. We have ignored those warnings. The world has ignored those warnings. We are a population that is out of control on the planet. We are an overpopulation. Nature has always had a way of dealing with out of control populations.

This, and Duffy's comments about covid patients being placed in nursing homes explain it. That's the reason so many of our covid deaths were in New Yawk. I seriously question the death rate from certain countries--China in particular--who are clearly not accurately counting. In the US we aren't counting accurately either, because we blame covid for a death even if the real cause was something else. We are essentially exaggerating our covid death count. I think we've handled it pretty well, if you think lockdowns were the right thing to do. I personally don't, but acting like the US has totally botched our response is stupid.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
One factor that needs to be taken into account when we compare ourselves to Europe is the timing of the epidemic. They started earlier

Reactions: afoaf

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This, and Duffy's comments about covid patients being placed in nursing homes explain it. That's the reason so many of our covid deaths were in New Yawk. I seriously question the death rate from certain countries--China in particular--who are clearly not accurately counting. In the US we aren't counting accurately either, because we blame covid for a death even if the real cause was something else. We are essentially exaggerating our covid death count. I think we've handled it pretty well, if you think lockdowns were the right thing to do. I personally don't, but acting like the US has totally botched our response is stupid.
almost half of deaths from/with covid are people who were in nursing homes.