Is Puerto Rico Trump's Katrina?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GromsDad said:
sizzld1 said:
GromsDad said:
I like his tweets. Brilliant. Triggering leftists and media to shoot themselves in the foot almost daily.
That's because you are precisely the type of moron he is targeting when he sends them. His base. Own it. :loser:
Actually the targets are the left wing media and left wing snowflakes like you. You guys fall for the bait every time while people like me sit back and laugh at the spectacle.
if you listen to Maggie Haberman who covers Cheeto extensively his rant in AL was actually to play to you tards in the crowd. it was pretty much only that. just to get the crowd in that particular venue clapping & cheering. The post Twitter meltdown is all his obsession to not be proven wrong.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GromsDad said:
sizzld1 said:
GromsDad said:
I like his tweets. Brilliant. Triggering leftists and media to shoot themselves in the foot almost daily.
That's because you are precisely the type of moron he is targeting when he sends them. His base. Own it. :loser:
Actually the targets are the left wing media and left wing snowflakes like you. You guys fall for the bait every time while people like me sit back and laugh at the spectacle.

Like watching these guys........

No. You eat up like a retarded puppy while the rest of us sit back and wonder how we got to this point. You are Trump's base. You LOVE him. Own it.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
StuAzole said:
why do Texas and Florida get visits but PR not? Hmm.
They're States, Puerto Rico is a territory. A territory that has looked for independence rather than statehood as well IIRC

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
They're States, Puerto Rico is a territory. A territory that has looked for independence rather than statehood as well IIRC
Guam also a territory, but we're willing to risk a global nuclear war for them.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
StuAzole said:
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
I don't think that what's happening, especially the business with the Jones Act, is right, but the territory/state distinction could be a factor

And unless there is a Russian Dead Hand device I'm pretty sure anyone who has nukes pointed at us isn't going to care if we retaliate if Guam gets hit with one

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
Should I go back and dig up all the posts on this forum from the Obama era with talk of Texas secession? :shrug:

What about Hawaiians that want to secede? Should we not give Hawaii aid in the event of a disaster?

BSshwack

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 2, 2017
LA
frvcvs said:
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
Should I go back and dig up all the posts on this forum from the Obama era with talk of Texas secession? :shrug:

What about Hawaiians that want to secede? Should we not give Hawaii aid in the event of a disaster?
Your search for politics forum gotchas is getting pretty desperate here.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
frvcvs said:
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:

or CalExit. that's the risk and obligation you take exiting a safety net government system. The Jones Act was economically hurting Puerto Rico prior to the hurricane as shipping cost were doubled as pretty much all their goods first had to go to mainland ports before coming to them.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GDaddy said:
I want a waiver for PR. Yesterday would not have been too soon.
Trump admin already denied their request. Stu attached an article that explains the reasoning behind the denial. It's facially valid, but all indications from people who are actually in PR and know wtf is going on there is that the stated excuse for the denial (plenty of US ships to do the work and not enough room for non-US vessels) is total bullshit.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I don't care what the reason is. I still think PR should have already gotten a waiver. If more shipping came online and the waiver was hurting US shippers then the waiver could be rescinded at that point.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:
Trump admin already denied their request. Stu attached an article that explains the reasoning behind the denial. It's facially valid, but all indications from people who are actually in PR and know wtf is going on there is that the stated excuse for the denial (plenty of US ships to do the work and not enough room for non-US vessels) is total bullshit.
that's why they need to send in our military (Sea Bee's :shrug:) to help repair the ports and ships than can create clean drinking water. the benefit of having a strong military should be it's there as an asset in times of national disaster with all their training & equipment.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
stu dog said:
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:
that's why they need to send in our military (Sea Bee's :shrug:) to help repair the ports and ships than can create clean drinking water. the benefit of having a strong military should be it's there as an asset in times of national disaster with all their training & equipment.
Agreed

Although the MIC won't make as much money invading an area we already own and don't have to fight to keep

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
StuAzole said:
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
NK can have Guam

I've said this before

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
What exactly is our strategic interest in PR at this point?

It would be nice if we helped them back on their feet, but after that . . .?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
frvcvs said:
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:

I'd be cool with losing Hawaii too

They seem ungrateful

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
These clueless, hair-trigger, instant gratification Dems have no idea the logistics it takes to get literally tons of supplies to an isolated island over 1000 miles away from Mainland USA into the few accessible ports and cleared runways there. It would take a few days alone to clear/make airport runways safe for large aircraft. Large ships take a few days at least to get there from any regional Naval ports on the E. Coast.

For the geographic clueless, PR is a isolated territory 1000 miles away, and not a mainland state that can get truckloads of supplies and water in hours. We have no other territories in the region with supplies stored at a moments noticed to just drive in on trucks, let alone boat or planeload in. It's been barely 7 days since Maria made it's first landfall, and most military response was making large supply landings within 72-84 hours of hurricane landfall.

Kauai was lucky with Iniki, at least they had Oahu and a large Naval and military presence less than 100 miles away to send supplies over immediately, and it still took weeks to get some semblance of power restored.

PR was a mess to begin with, and it just got a lot worse for them. But it looks like military response is filling in the last few days. Those first few days were hell on earth there, I'm sure. They still have a long slog ahead, but when you're 1000 miles from mainland USA with no other nearby sources of supplies, that's going to take a few days to iron out, no matter who was "in charge". 3 disasters back to back to back is lot to ask of ANY emergency response system, no matter how much $$$ you throw at it. REALITY.