Is positive news on Covid newsworthy?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Meanwhile there are people whining about it being fast-tracked

They'd rather continue to hide at home than end this thing
I"m not worried that it's being fast-tracked per se. I'm worried that the quickest vaccine ever created previous to this took for years. This one is supposed to be done in what, less than 8 months?

You gonna take the one that comes out this year?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I"m not worried that it's being fast-tracked per se. I'm worried that the quickest vaccine ever created previous to this took for years. This one is supposed to be done in what, less than 8 months?

any vaccine would still presumably go through the same approval process, plus, the companies are manufacturing vials of vaccines while the clinical trials are taking place, in the event that a vaccine is approved.

its a big gamble but probably worth it.

Reactions: GWS_2 and Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Depends on how tyrannical we let the government/companies get with it. If it becomes an either/or proposition of getting back to normalcy I'll take it

Besides, most of the time these take to get approved is red tape, not actual testing

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Deaths at something like 1000-1200 a day. Case numbers up by 10k.

Cant wait to see what happens after Labor Day.
Deaths are usually 7700ish per day. How many are actually from covid, and just covid?

And case numbers? With more testing, comes more case numbers.

And we have riots again so depending on what you believe the case numbers will either be going up because of them or going down since protesting creates immunity

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Beware of representativeness's ability to bring you to the wrong conclusion.

Always consider base rate frequency.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
In fairness, they did not have nearly the level of knowledge and equipment that we have now. Although I agree that a fixed amount of time is required to see if there are side effects.

I'll probably hang tight and see how it plays out. Not worried about getting sick.

However, if countries that I really want to visit start opening up with a vaccine required for entry, that would motivate me.

Reactions: Kento

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Is this chart from the New Jersey Health Department newsworthy? Why is it that all we get is fear spreading news when the actual fact is that the virus peaked in early April and ended here by early June. Why is it not reported that the surge due to our beaches opening that the fearmongers predicted never happened?

View attachment 97328
Do you want the beaches open to out of staters who have higher caseloads?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
for quite a while he wanted his island closed to outsiders.
That was a rhetorical position that went right over your head apparently. Our doofus mayor closed the beaches, boardwalk, playgrounds and even a walking trail. My position was that if the situation is so grave that all those things needed to be closed to those of us who live on this island it was entirely irresponsible that our bridges remained open so outsiders could bring the virus to our island paradise.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
There’s been literally tons of great news about breakthroughs in treatments and vaccines in the last few days yet you somehow managed to turn that into a negative.

What a sad, pathetic, small, bitter man.

Welcome to the unprovoked incendiary attacks which are causing the left to fall increasingly far behind in polls leading into a national election. It's not that you can't see the outcome before you open your pie holes. It's that you can't keep from doing it.

It's who you are.