Is neoliberalism failing or experiencing a resurgence?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I can't help but think that Trump's defeat or victory will be a harbinger of one of either the failure or resurgence of neoliberal policies.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
ifallalot said:
hal9000 said:
VonMeister said:
Hillary isn;t a neoliberal. She's a grifter. She stands for nothing.
I'd say she's about as neoliberal as it gets.
She's a neoconservative.
Maybe that's what he means.

Just as NeoCons have a lot of things about them that are NOT old-school conservative, NeoLibs have a lot of things about them that are decidedly NOT what old school liberalism was about.

The Donald is getting rejected by both sides of the aisle, so, I'm not sure how much you can make out of his almost sure defeat.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
GWS said:
ifallalot said:
hal9000 said:
VonMeister said:
She's a neoconservative.

Just as NeoCons have a lot of things about them that are NOT old-school conservative, NeoLibs have a lot of things about them that are decidedly NOT what old school liberalism was about.

The Donald is getting rejected by both sides of the aisle, so, I'm not sure how much you can make out of his almost sure defeat.
You know things are topsy turvey when democrats totally concede workers and individual liberties to the republican party.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
GWS said:
ifallalot said:
hal9000 said:
VonMeister said:
She's a neoconservative.

Geez I used to think GWB could have never been elected. People were smarter than that. He had a DUI. He did Coke. His Pappy got him a cush Military existence. He was a big Dummy. He did get elected. Twice. Fuck me.

Dont be surprised if and when Trump is on the steps of the Capital getting sworn in.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I get this feeling that Hillary and Trump reside next to each other in that mystical cross-over point where extreme left and extreme right meet.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Trump is not extreme right. He's not even right. He's mildly left. He is neither a fiscal or a social conservative. He is only being portrayed as being extreme.......right? because the left and the republican establishment are in full blown panic mode.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Ya, I know Trump is more left of center in some aspects, but right in many others and portrayed as extreme right. He's all over the map from one day to the next. But there's something a bit too fishy in his whole approach for my tastes.

In fact, I think he criss-crosses that mystical border-line between far right and far left almost daily, occasionally stopping by the center to say Hi.