Is Ken Bradshaw still surfing?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I remember seeing him out one day at Trestles with his girlfriend/wife (What was her name, women pro?).

You couldn't miss him on the wave, he was huge, then I realized why he likes Big Waves so much.

Always wanted one of his Tee's as a kid, never came across one.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Lots of those guys in their 60's still surfing good. Michael Ho, Rabbit...

How about the Ken Bradshaw/ Layne Beachley stunt?

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
I hope so. Dude was a charger.
i hope so too,
watched him back in thee '80's @ Sunset, not bad for a Texan. + he used to date a world champ!
kiddin' aside, his name came up in conversation just a coupla dayz ago at a beach here in L.A.
in talk of a surfing~board. yow~za, to thee old~school!

i swear i'm gonna be wearin' 1 of these hatz
+/or be stickered up soon!
old guys rule
hahaha...
:drowning:

Last edited:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Even at 67, I wouldn't want to tangle with him. Definitely a charger. Weren't there a couple other guys from Texas who surfed big waves?

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Always looked like you could hit him with a 2X4 across the chin and he wouldn't budge.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
That would have been interesting to watch. How did it go?

side note: still puzzling that with all the bad asses in Hawaii, how some haole was able to muscle his way in and become so dominant. His story would make a good movie/book.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’ve seen Bradshaw out surfing smallish days on the NS and town. Either with his wife or daughter and sometimes he’ll be with friends visiting. He’s usually super mellow stays inside and keeps an eye out for whoever he’s with. But he’s a gnarly dude if you know you know.

As for earning respect on the North Shore. Dude charges, pioneered surfing the outer reefs and was willing to take out the garbage biting chunks out of a donkeys rail and sending them in. Haha. He built boards for some of the boys too. There’s no secret on how to earn respect on the NS. Mind your manners, give back don’t just take, if you f*ck up make it right.

When Kelly first started coming to the NS they were both on Sundek and Bradshaw helped him out. Every year he was going to surf waves 1 or 2 feet bigger. Looks like it worked out for Kelly.

Reactions: maybe

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Does Makua's pidgin still slip in and out based on what day it is?

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
He was always very cool to me, mostly because I like surfing Sunset and don't ride huge boards, which was how you got on his bad side, quick.