Is it worth going full FCS twin setup?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I ride a lot of twin fins and would never choose FCS simply for the durability factor. You're pushing hard on a single fin and that big fin has a lot of leverage if you bang it into something. It is a shame that makes fins from custom makers like GG less accessible, but given the range of fins available I think it's worth it.

I get what you're saying especially with the Ellis twins (the FCS version is way more aesthetically pleasing), but I would be shocked if most surfers could feel the difference between the two.

FWIW have been running the Ellis twins (futures) exclusively in a twin fish and love them. 70/30 gives really predictable release compared to flatter foil twins.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've been using FCSII for almost seven years and have lost two fins, but have never damaged a plug. I surf around PV (rock reef breaks) a lot and have had my share of chips, and ground edges. The two lost fins I think were a "stars aligning" circumstance of my leash getting looped around the trailing edge and dislodging the rear of the fin. There was a period of time that I gave up on FCS' two plug system since I was having nonstop problems with them either pushing through the deck or getting rolled over. Between those and when FCS released Fusion (I think it was only about a year before they released FCSII after Fusion), I was using Futures and would get little spider cracks around the bottom part of the box that would suck water. It happened on at least three times in two years on several different boards from different manufacturers (Lost, JS and CI). I also tried RedX fins on some boards during my FCS leave, but those were pretty lame.

Reactions: RattimusBeach

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'd rather have Futures in a twin fin. Those two little fcs tabs for a big fin like that just doesn't inspire confidence.

So many aftermarket options for Futures as well.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Nobody said you were wrong.

But you have to admit that futures are much stronger and can take a bump from the reef while FCs cannot
Maybe 1zt gen fcs plugs yes but fusion and fcs II both have base around plugs that gets glassed over and is solid. Now fcs II fins and injection don't know:) I have all custom 2 tab sets and always use grub screws with silicone plugs.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
My Burch Keel seems to be more upright:

View attachment 90633
I was just going to ask you if you could compare them for me :) Thank you! I guess he tweaked the original shape a bit or maybe the angle of the photos are different? If I could get my hands on a template of a Burch twin set I could try to shape them myself. It doesn't look easy at all though after watching some YouTube videos...

Reactions: jkb

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I don't know why - the fins work really well in my board. I'm only using them once the surf has some push.
My Burch classic fish has large keels with 50/50 foil and works great. I have another set of his tall fins that have it as well but they don't work as good...Maybe more area helps double foil fins to work?

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I ride a lot of twin fins and would never choose FCS simply for the durability factor. You're pushing hard on a single fin and that big fin has a lot of leverage if you bang it into something. It is a shame that makes fins from custom makers like GG less accessible, but given the range of fins available I think it's worth it.

I get what you're saying especially with the Ellis twins (the FCS version is way more aesthetically pleasing), but I would be shocked if most surfers could feel the difference between the two.

FWIW have been running the Ellis twins (futures) exclusively in a twin fish and love them. 70/30 gives really predictable release compared to flatter foil twins.
Thanks for the insight! Yea, I agree, definitely more pleasing to the eye. I doubt I'm the type of surfer that would feel the difference so I probably shouldn't worry too much about it. I don't have any fins 70/30 so I thinking it will be a good addition to the collection. Can't afford to buy new boards so buying and collecting fins is the next best thing!

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I've been using FCSII for almost seven years and have lost two fins, but have never damaged a plug. I surf around PV (rock reef breaks) a lot and have had my share of chips, and ground edges. The two lost fins I think were a "stars aligning" circumstance of my leash getting looped around the trailing edge and dislodging the rear of the fin. There was a period of time that I gave up on FCS' two plug system since I was having nonstop problems with them either pushing through the deck or getting rolled over. Between those and when FCS released Fusion (I think it was only about a year before they released FCSII after Fusion), I was using Futures and would get little spider cracks around the bottom part of the box that would suck water. It happened on at least three times in two years on several different boards from different manufacturers (Lost, JS and CI). I also tried RedX fins on some boards during my FCS leave, but those were pretty lame.
I feel you. While I was living in Torrance, I was surfing PV quite a lot. I definitely damaged most of my fins there. Good to know FCS II has been solid for you.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I wish I could understand what this means! What is the Zit?
The area reduction in the fin from base to tip (or in this case the "zit") is not constant. It reduces, then increases at the zit and then reduces again at the top. Compare the numbers in the two fins. Amirite?

Last edited:

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
The area reduction in the fin from base to tip (or in this case the "zit") is not constant. It reduces, then increases at the zit and then reduces again at the top. Compare the numbers in the two fins. Amirite?

Awesome. Thank you for this. So when GG says "Zit is the same as 1 - 1 1/4" up from base " what does that mean exactly? No release?