Is it worth going full FCS twin setup?

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I have a few self-shaped twinnies with Futures boxes installed. I went with Futures because at the time they had more options, seemed a bit more durable and well known shapers were using them in their twins like Ryan Burch, Gary McNeill, Aipa, Al Merrick, Larry Mabile, Stretch, etc...

After browsing through the NVS thread, I thought maybe going Futures isn't ideal for twinnies moving forward...with the fin base having to be modified and all. Has anybody actually felt a difference riding the same twin fin set in Futures and FCS? Do you think having the base a bit shorter makes that much difference? Theoretically, it should, but any first hand experience?

For example, the Alkali Ellis Twins look totally different in FCS(two tab) & Futures (single). Also my favorite twin set, the Trues Ames x Lovelace Piggybacks are also quite different. I've included a photo:

saltage meaning

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I just recently realized the same thing and was happy that I chose FCSII plugs. I have some Shapers' Asher Pacey on the way, they were having a 25% off sale. I grabbed some of the adapter plugs today. If you go Fusion, you can't use any FCSII fins.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
With futures one benefit is some fins come with different can't angles , so you can get quite a few feelings from 1 board .

The little cut away on the futures is not really noticeable on the 2 identical sets I have ridden , stamps keel and AL Mercado twins

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I recently purchase some alkali EE twins in futures and queried them about the base cutaway and performance. Like Retodd said, the difference would only be slight; perhaps less drive but better release.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
With futures one benefit is some fins come with different can't angles , so you can get quite a few feelings from 1 board .

The little cut away on the futures is not really noticeable on the 2 identical sets I have ridden , stamps keel and AL Mercado twins
Damn forgot about that. Do most fin companies define their custom cant angles? Are most fins set at 0 degrees? Most of my fins are from True Ames and I don't remember seeing anything about it.

For the FCS II plugs, if you wanted custom cant angles you would have to buy these more expensive plugs? They're like double the price...

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I recently purchase some alkali EE twins in futures and queried them about the base cutaway and performance. Like Retodd said, the difference would only be slight; perhaps less drive but better release.
That's good to know because I was thinking of buying a set from them as well. Just by looking at the photo comparison, they look quite different. It got me thinking if I should just buy the two tab set instead...but that means I wouldn't be able to use it with my current quiver.

Reactions: Bman76

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Most futures twins come with 4 , AMT and sons of cobra have 7.5

I think Capitan have 6

Not sure about true ames but I think they do 6 also

The Akali have there can't on the site , so does glide .

So if you have a quiver from all companies there are far more options compared to fcs

Take these Burch ripoff fins, they are saying 2.5 can't. Nice and upright . great for punchy waves

Reactions: Bman76

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I use these, custom cant 0-22*, buoyant, made from recycled plastic (I think)
once you commit to cant you're locked in. I use 3*
for me twins are loose enough and I don't need excessive toe or cant

Reactions: RattimusBeach

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Most futures twins come with 4 , AMT and sons of cobra have 7.5

I think Capitan have 6

Not sure about true ames but I think they do 6 also

The Akali have there can't on the site , so does glide .

So if you have a quiver from all companies there are far more options compared to fcs

Take these Burch ripoff fins, they are saying 2.5 can't. Nice and upright . great for punchy waves

Sick. I've been wanting to buy Burch fins but they don't reply back unless you order a board I guess haha Have you tried these? Anyway to get them in the States?

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I use these, custom cant 0-22*, buoyant, made from recycled plastic (I think)
once you commit to cant you're locked in. I use 3*
for me twins are loose enough and I don't need excessive toe or cant
Interesting observation about the cant. From retodd's post, it seems like a lot of companies are using higher cant degrees like 5-6-7. I agree about not liking it too loose though...hard to trust something that loose.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

I really like the feel of this template.

I wish Burch sold his fins to the public.

Rattimus, it looks like you can ship these to the US for a grand total of $116 USD. Not bad.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No problems yet with my Alpha Omega fcs fusion boxes with TA twin glass set. Feels just as solid as my robber with future boxes and AMT set in honeycomb.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The FCS fins just don’t have the strength to make having them worth it.

Any bump on fcs fins usually is a catastrophic fix or you lose the fin