Is it unethical to upgrade your iPhone?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I just upgraded and my phone is running way better but i was running like iOS from 2015. same old 6s

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
oh wait, i jusst did software. Fuk buying new phone I never break them .

Bought my GF brand new Iphone and she dropped it in toilet 3 days later. Shes been on this old broken glass samsung ever since. Sorry babe but you played yourself

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
"It could be argued that China’s dominance of the rare earth market is less about geology and far more about the country’s willingness to take an environmental hit that other nations shy away from."

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Planned obsolescence is an atrocious thing. The ‘current model’ of anything should stay relevant much much longer than a year or two.

Apple is not your friend. I say this while carrying an iPhone. And I generally carry the same model for 3-4 years, whether that be fix No the one I have or buying a new / same model.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 (several of them) to now an iPhone Xs... no real difference. The dorks who claim there is are just that, fookin dorks.

Reactions: Retropete

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Some fierce virtue signaling going in this thread.

If you don't have the need for the features that iPhone offers, don't fvcking buy one.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Planned obsolescence is an atrocious thing. The ‘current model’ of anything should stay relevant much much longer than a year or two.
The same people who will disagree with you here are the same people who cheer on CAFE standards and CARB regulations for cars...

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Is it unethical to charge $1200 for a phone

Not when you think about all it does.. its def not just a phone. Its basically a mini laptop with a badass digital camera attached. How much is a good camera by itslef? At least a few hundred. Then add all the other stuff it does - games, navigation, calls, etc.

i have no problem paying a grand for something I use all day every day.(weather I use it all day is a good or bad thing is another topic) Not to mention with todays plans youre basically paying 30 bucks a month on a lease to own program. So you never actually pay 1000 for the phone itself.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Not when you think about all it does.. its def not just a phone. Its basically a mini laptop with a badass digital camera attached. How much is a good camera by itslef? At least a few hundred. Then add all the other stuff it does - games, navigation, calls, etc.
Sure, but does the 11 do all those things so much better than what people already have? I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of people rushing to buy the 11 already have the 10.

Plus you cannot compare a camera phone to a proper camera. Yes it works for day to day photos, but without a proper zoom, there are lots of scenarios such as wildlife photography where it simply does not work. Cameras are way cheaper nowadays, specifically because of phones.

So you never actually pay 1000 for the phone itself.
That's like saying you're not paying $40k for a new car if you finance it. You are still paying for it, it just feels more manageable.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm on a refurbished s6 because they didn't sell new s6's anymore
and I liked my previous phone (bike accident)

I have a big stupid case for it and, I hesitate to say out loud, I have
managed to NOT break it.

my kid keeps telling me he wants an upgrade from his shitty bottom
tier samsung noname, but he still hasn't been able to articulate why
I should upgrade him...to an iphone no less.

WTF is with all this backwards pageantry?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
"It could be argued that China’s dominance of the rare earth market is less about geology and far more about the country’s willingness to take an environmental hit that other nations shy away from."

That is bleak - and that's only covering the production phase. I wonder what happens to all the smartphones that get traded in or thrown away, that's got to be equally botched.

I'm still on an iPhone 5, just replaced the home button and the screen, hope to keep that thing going for a while.

Thrifty Scottish heritage bastard, OUT!