Is it possible to rip on a mid-length?

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Sweet. I’ve got a MOTE 7’7 which I love but wanted that smaller mid length for ease of travelling and still carves.
ive ordered the pu 7ft. Gary is usually pretty consistent with the 4-6 week construction time so hopefully it’ll be ready just in time for when we’re out of lockdown. (I’m in Victoria Australia. Only week one into lockdown and surfing is banned)
Ah that sucks! Yeah you guys are doing it tough in Vicco. All the best mate, stay safe.
Yes they definitely carve/turn nicely. I looked at a lot of long twins before ordering and most were really flat. Gary puts what he calls a “medium performance rocker” (and rails) on these which go really well. They lose a little bit of grovel range due to the rocker but they perform great on rail and come around so nice in cutbacks/carves, (especially for a big board).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bman76

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Took my latest midlength(a 7’4 from Burch) out for the first time today. Had a few keepers at waist to chest high Church before the circus showed up. Fat-ish tide didn’t allow for any “ripping”, just a fun cruisey sesh 6CFD3259-5071-4811-81B3-ECD86C238410.jpegB5C063E0-F096-4580-AEF7-B6037730A817.jpeg56C1577A-9407-4138-B47F-3094FCFB7232.jpeg8DAF9620-87A2-4CE1-9956-4BF4B1440418.jpeg

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
Sweet. I’ve got a MOTE 7’7 which I love but wanted that smaller mid length for ease of travelling and still carves.
ive ordered the pu 7ft. Gary is usually pretty consistent with the 4-6 week construction time so hopefully it’ll be ready just in time for when we’re out of lockdown. (I’m in Victoria Australia. Only week one into lockdown and surfing is banned)
I am seriously lusting after a mote, can you post some thoughts? I am interested how they go in normal condition- it appears torren only surfs when its pumping!
cheers

Reactions: Toobz and Retropete
Jul 29, 2018
I am seriously lusting after a mote, can you post some thoughts? I am interested how they go in normal condition- it appears torren only surfs when its pumping!
cheers
I've actually got 5. Tracks twinny, 5'8 and 6'6 Fiji. 6'8 diamond tail and the massive. The 6'6 and 6'8 are triple stringers.
The tracks twinny is like a hp twinny. Loose and with flow, flat rocker
The 5'8 has more drive and hold as expected with the channels but still like a hpsb
The 6'6/6'8 are very different feeling with that extra volume but still not sluggish. Actually really drivey with long arcs due to the longer rail lines.
The massive again is very different to all the others with lots of glide. Bit really comes into its own when the waves have some face. Either at 2ft or 6ft. Pulling that extra length around with endless speed is such a good feeling.
But all boards except the tracks twinny require some face and steepness in the wave. I struggle with the others if they are small mushy burgers.
I'd look at the Fiji over 6'y or a massive if you thinking about the purchase. You will struggle getting of them.

Reactions: JaM71 and Aruka

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
Cheers, thanks for the feedback- I will def have a look at the Fiji now,. Fortunately, I am up on the GC so not too far from Simon. I have had a couple of boards from him before and the quality has been outstanding, I can understand why you have a collection. In my mind, channels say cleaner better waves so the plan wasn't for mushy, burgers- sounds like what I need....... be sure to post a report of your Gary Mac tho, I'd love to hear how it slots into your amazing quiver

Reactions: Toobz

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Looks like a helluva lot fun .... dims? Bet it would go well as a twinny as well.
22x3.25
I think so too and maybe not even much fin with all that rail plus it has deep vee and flat rocker out the tail.
Late last winter out at a hollow and shallow reef point I saw a guy absolutely flying and ripping tight turns in a crouched stance on a similar type shape, much smaller, He said he and a friend shaped it and like it better with just the esidebites...

Last edited:
Reactions: flyinraptr