Is it possible to rip on a mid-length?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
If you're having fun on it, who cares? The above videos were nice. Not really extraordinary at all. Solid surfing. The guy kooking, hey, go down to the beach, close your eyes, turn your head and open your eyes and watch the first kook on a "high performance" shortboard. One of the things I like about ML's is the ease with which you can go back to your shortboard. Unlike, for me personally, a full LB.

But whatever. By the way, if you think about it, the whole "high performance' thing is pretty weird. Will you be performing today? Oh thank you! The audience will be SO pleased!! We will throw flowers and politely applaud at the end of each performance. What are you, a cross dressing attention whore embarrassing yourself on a stage? Nobody cares.

And it's funny how now everything between 6'2" and 8'11" is a "midlength." We should probably work the word "performance" in there. By the way, please throw money in lieu of the flowers. Thank you. Thank you very much.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
If you're having fun on it, who cares? The above videos were nice. Not really extraordinary at all. Solid surfing. The guy kooking, hey, go down to the beach, close your eyes, turn your head and open your eyes and watch the first kook on a "high performance" shortboard. One of the things I like about ML's is the ease with which you can go back to your shortboard. Unlike, for me personally, a full LB.

But whatever. By the way, if you think about it, the whole "high performance' thing is pretty weird. Will you be performing today? Oh thank you! The audience will be SO pleased!! We will throw flowers and politely applaud at the end of each performance. What are you, a cross dressing attention whore embarrassing yourself on a stage? Nobody cares.

And it's funny how now everything between 6'2" and 8'11" is a "midlength." We should probably work the word "performance" in there. By the way, please throw money in lieu of the flowers. Thank you. Thank you very much.
totally agree on switching back from midlength being easier than than longboard

Reactions: oeste858

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
If you define ”ripping” as style, wave selection, position on/in the wave, and lines drawn—then yes, you can rip on a mid length or any board, even a log.

if you define ”ripping” as blowtails and air reverses—then no, you likely cannot rip on a mid length.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

GWS echos my thoughts yet again! Well played sir! Bow to the appreciative audience!

Reactions: GDaddy

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
was ther really much difference between video one, video two, and the obvious twenty+ years of age between the two riders?

think video one only proved that some days call for a super stubby or fish.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
I personally have never really ridden a mid-length, but seem to have surfed around them the better half of my life. I've always been a shortboard, fish, or log type. Lately though, I've been intrigued. I'm thinking a 6'8 twinzer may be in my near future. Kinda like to torryn twin, but turned into a twinzer instead. Maybe with a single center FCS plug in case I wanna run a little trailer. I've surfed around Devon for many years and do believe he's got some great insight on when they actually work well. Head high and above waves. Bigger open faces to draw lines on. I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: flyinraptr

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

I agree 100%

I just think it's funny how a lot of people would be repulsed at riding a funshape but now froth at the idea of a midlength.

I must confess I'm not psyched on the thought of more of these appearing in the water under the feet of people who will hog,

The CI/Surftech version is in fact called "The Water Hog" :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bman76