Is it possible to rip on a mid-length?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
meh.

do not dig.

it looks like a weak second rate version of the actual early 70's transition era surfing.

too much shortboarding influence, loses too much speed off the bottom, no real sense of the fall line power.

I think it's a bad copy.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
meh.

do not dig.

it looks like a weak second rate version of the actual early 70's transition era surfing.

too much shortboarding influence, loses too much speed off the bottom, no real sense of the fall line power.

I think it's a bad copy.
When someone paddles out and says to you while your riding a 7'10" x 21 1/4 " x 3" wide board - I thought you were a kid !

Were you - Riping ?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I have a 7’2 mandala single fin pintail stubbie and a 5’9 CI MSF. The mandala is way more versatile, despite being a pintail- it works from knee high to well overhead as long as it’s not too dumpy. It totally replaces a longboard for me- if it’s too small to ride the 7’2 it’s not really worth surfing IMO

the MSF is super fun on a point from the chest to overhead range

l sometimes wish I could combine the low end of the mandala pintail stubby with the (relative) maneuverability of the MSF

this is why next year I’m thinking about getting a stubbie from manny in the 6’5 range

my only concern is will it be below the limit in terms of being able to trim in waist high waves

I picked up a 6'1" msf when they first came out. Was such a great board in bigger open faced shifting beach break, never got to try it in any point surf. I regrettably added 4 boxes to it and eventually sold it.

Picked up a 5'8" Mandala stubbie 2+1 on craigslist at least 10 years ago. It's easily been my best all around board...completely beat to sh!t at this point and a pain to keep water tight. It's got glass on ply side bites and goes best with a 6.5" bonzer fin.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I had an MSF about 15 years ago when they first came out. Felt very limiting. Then I got Jake Moss to make me a custom Space Cake single fin to replace it. Much better board in every way but even on really good waves, I just didn't really like the limitations that a single imposes. Much prefer a mid-length with a 2 + 1 setup. Better flow and ability to turn and put on rail for me. I love the aesthetics of a single but don't love actually surfing on one.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i bet tom carroll rips a midlength when he rides one. he was always ripping his guns in small surf

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
meh.

do not dig.

I think it's a bad copy.
Devon Howard normally surfs a longboard at Swamis so he knows how to make a singlefin work. I don't know if that board is a 2+1, but every time I've seen him riding a mid-length that's what he's using.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
yeah, something like that.
thats cool, and you can see where an insanely skilled shortboard surfer like Rasta is pushing that design to the edge of it's performance envelope.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
That looks like a perfect setup for someone who is used to riding a "normal" board to jump onto. The middle and side fins much closer in size than a normal 2+1.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Thanks for posting that.

I found reducing the size of my center fin and increasing the size of the sides made my mid length flow a lot better for me. There was a little hitch in the turning of it with the bigger center and smaller sides that went away with changing up the fins.

Reactions: chilly1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
One of my favorite passive aggressive things to say to somebody who is being greedy with wave catching is to tell them their board doesn't throw any spray, but say it kinda like a question/observation, "Hmm your board doesn't throw any spray, huh?"

Can't wait to tell somebody riding one of these that.