is costa rica all its cracked up to be?

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
im considering going to costa rica, as im invited to go with my friends family and stay with them for free at whatever hotel they're staying at.

is it gringo friendly?
how much would it cost for four weeks there including food, lodging, transportation? (no airfare)
how are da crowds?
how feasible is it to bring 3 or maybe4 boards (with fin systems)?

any other good locations you guys know of for an 18 year old and two friends to go to? cheap, friendly, and uncrowded are key. wave quality is kinda important but id rather surf empty ok waves then crowded good waves.

carverb

Michael Peterson status
Jul 31, 2003
Is it gringo friendly? - Maybe too much, Yes.
How much? I spent about 1000 including air and board travel for 2 weeks, pretty much budgeting everything tight.
Crowds? In jan weren't too bad, but just avoid the main peak of the main breaks. its funny, you could be sitting at a peak 100 yards down the beach and it will be just as good.
3-4 boards? You nuts? 2 tops, 1 is suggested, chances are good you will only touch your main board you ride at home. 3-4 means a heavy bag, heavy board fees, and a heavy pain in the ass.

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
i was thinking three boards because i will be staying there a minimum of 4 weeks if i go. just trying to figure out whats up with surf travel. planning on doing some really extensive traveling after college. all continents.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Travelling light is the key to easy travel with no hassles. One carry on bag with a weeks worth of everything, one board bag that you can handle, less than 50lbs. so the baggage handlers can handle, and everything else packed IN with the boards..so two should cover.
One board for small to medium surf, one for s/m to m/l, and you should be OK. You probably won't be lucky enough to get anything over 8'.
By the time you get it packed with reusable packing foam/bubble pack or hard case it, you are well on your way to over 50 lbs. with two boards.

IrieShark

Michael Peterson status
May 2, 2002
West Maui
Visit site
I cannont emphasize how much LeeD is right. I just backpacked through Oz for 6 months, and even though I was staying in one location for the majority of my time, I had to deal with carrying my backpack and my board when I needed to get from place to place.

I only had one board, and a fairly light bag. I was staying north, where the water was warmer, so all I had was a spring suit, a pair of jeans, boardshorts, 3 t-shirts, sweatshirt, and a few other items. Let me tell you something though, that pack gets heavy fast. When you have to walk aroung carrying that and a board you get tired quickly. I can tell you there is no way I could have traveled with two boards, let alone 3 or 4 without a car.

If you want to prepare for multicontinental travel, learn how to pack light. Learn what you need and don't. Because it sucks having to walk all afternoon with a ton of sh!t on your back.

Waldo

Duke status
Jan 24, 2002
Shangri-La
CR is very gringo friendly - everyone speaks English and most places take dollars, though it helps to pay with colones for most things and not risk exchange rate ripoffs. Petty crime can be an issue.

1-2 boards, max, is the call. I only used one in 10 days last July, but if it'd gotten a bit bigger, I would have pulled out a semi-gun. Boards and repairs are readily available if needed.

carver nailed it about crowds. The main peaks at the name spots can get packed, but there's always another peak up the beach a ways. Not that the tide swing is 8-10 feet, so the conditions change dramaticaly. You can often get good surf on the "off" tides, just maybe not as good as it is on the right tide.

Great place with lots of great things to see & do. Even better f you can stay for free! It's not the undeveloped, pristine surf zone it was 20 years ago - some areas are downright touristy - but it's still got a lot to offer. Get going!