internet connection/service providers?

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
i've heard that frontier is faster, regardless ofthe numbers, because of the "dedicated line" stuff. that just BS or?

can i get away with 25 mbps for streaming AND 1-2 other devices atthe same time?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Go fiber optic.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Go fiber optic.

I concur. I switched to Verizon fiber about 6 years ago and speedwise its fine for me - I see about 90MB on a speed test if I remember correctly but the big difference is we don't lose service after a big storm that takes out a lot of power lines, even when we have no power, when I go on generator that fiber is right there. I don't know if it's because the damaged lines don't short out the good lines and they can route it to me a different way or what but it just keeps working. With the cable TV it went down almost every time we lost power.

Something I did to really speed up my WiFi Internet was to realize that "It's a radio, stupid". I had the router in the basement all the way on one side of the house, then I hung all my phono and USB, etc. cables right in front of it. I was getting 6 to 12 MB on WiFi in the living room but 90 on the hardwired PC. So I relocated the router under the stairs in the center of the house, used some free channel / signal software to see what other WiFi was around me and what channel they were on, made some changes and got my living room WiFi laptop from that 6 - 12 MB up to a solid 80 - 90. The routers are supposed to find the best channel but I don't know how well they really do it. We were at a very nice Motel in Wildwood, NJ and the WiFi was bad. I ran the WiFi signal software and the routers on all 5 floors in my motel and all 5 floors of the motel across the street and maybe another motel too were all on the same channel. Did the IT guys setting it all up forget that it's a radio, too?

Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
I think almost all internet providers have a relatively similar offer, I mean that the internet speed is almost the same, but the problem is that there are providers that offer better routers, that cover a bigger space. I had a pretty modest router, but I found a way to fix that problem by buying and installing a Wireless Ethernet Bridge. Using such a device is vital for me as I have a pretty big house and there is no way to have a good and fast internet all around the house. If you want to buy a wireless Ethernet bridge, you can find more information on Palmgear reviews. Stay safe and have a wonderful day!

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I think almost all internet providers have a relatively similar offer, I mean that the internet speed is almost the same, but the problem is that there are providers that offer better routers, that cover a bigger space.
i dont know. i have spectrum now for 65 bucks a month & supposedly 200mb/s. i know probably no where near that quick but i stream 4k with no issues on my TV.

i tried to switch to ATT because i figured why not pay my cell and internet to the same place and they were running a special - in my neighborhood ATT only gets 16MB/s for the same price so I said fook that.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I don't think routers are different between companies. They all outsource their router stuff to the same companies like Netgear, etc. and you're better off just buying your own router setup anyway. I just got the new Netgear modem/router combo and it is way more effective than the Arris modem I had before, which was total crap.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I recently moved and switched from Frontier fiber to Spectrum cable. Both have very fast download speeds and handle lots of streaming, but fiber is much, much faster for uploading. Something to consider if that's a concern.

You cannot get away with 25 mbps.