Intermittent Fasting

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Interesting! The carnivore diet calls for no veggies, wheat, or nuts either.

Did your eczema go away completely or just no more itchy flakey skin?
My dermatologist finally got me to go gluten free in early 2021 and my nummular eczema that morphed into guttate psoriasis went away. No meds. Skin issues are mostly diet related. There's a theory is could be from the glyphosate sprayed on wheat. Nuts and eggs irritate my skin too.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
How many of y’all doing intermittent fasting have an active lifestyle both work and non work? I’ve almost always have skipped breakfast and wouldn’t eat until 12pm but wondering if I did a more regimented intermittent fasting would even work for me. I have a pretty physical job and when I’m not working I’m either equally physical or more.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
As long as you are getting enough protein, carbs and fat in your 2 meals, you will feel like a king. If you dont, you will be drained. You need 150 grams of protein. Your lunch needs to be half pound grass fed ground beef. Some fruit. 60 gram protein smoothie. Whey or plant based protein. Collagen. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Berries. Dinner is fish, meat or chicken. Acocado. Greens. As much as you can afford. You will feel better than ever. Do not eat out.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
How many of y’all doing intermittent fasting have an active lifestyle both work and non work? I’ve almost always have skipped breakfast and wouldn’t eat until 12pm but wondering if I did a more regimented intermittent fasting would even work for me. I have a pretty physical job and when I’m not working I’m either equally physical or more.
I don’t have a physical job
but I’ll skip breakfast, and not eat anything until 2:30 most days. I’ve just gotten used to it
its not for intermittent fasting reasons. It’s just the way I eat

in general, I don’t get hungry
i eat because it’s time to eat
and once I start, I eat a ton

Last edited:
Reactions: manbearpig

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don’t have a physical job
but I’ll skip breakfast, and not eat anything until 2:30 most days. I’ve just gotten used to it
its not for intermittent fasting reasons. It’s just the way I eat

in general, I don’t get hungry
i eat because it’s time to eat
and once I start, I eat a ton
My friend is like this. He forgets to eat

I've never forgotten to eat.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I don’t forget
It’s rare that I skip lunch
But often eat my 2 meals within 4 hours

my wife isn’t used to this
She’ll still ask me every night if I’m hungry
Even though my response is always the same
“I could eat”

Reactions: Fishyhb

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’m not super religious about IF but I eat lunch maybe 3 times a week, usually after 2:00pm, then eat dinner around 6:30-7:30 daily. Most days I only eat dinner. So it’s basically an IF regimen. That being said I went out to breakfast this morning and had a Monte Christo drenched in syrup.

I’m very active. Train jiu jitsu 4 mornings per week, surf anytime there’s waves, job requires activity (sometimes heavy lifting), teach jiu jitsu at least 2 days a week in the afternoon after which I do a body weight workout, swim laps a couple times a week. Started running again too.

What do mean by “work for“ you if you did IF?

Reactions: manbearpig

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don’t forget
It’s rare that I skip lunch
But often eat my 2 meals within 4 hours

my wife isn’t used to this
She’ll still ask me every night if I’m hungry
Even though my response is always the same
“I could eat”
So are you saying you never forget?

Does that make you a never forgetter?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’m not super religious about IF but I eat lunch maybe 3 times a week, usually after 2:00pm, then eat dinner around 6:30-7:30 daily. Most days I only eat dinner. So it’s basically an IF regimen. That being said I went out to breakfast this morning and had a Monte Christo drenched in syrup.

I’m very active. Train jiu jitsu 4 mornings per week, surf anytime there’s waves, job requires activity (sometimes heavy lifting), teach jiu jitsu at least 2 days a week in the afternoon after which I do a body weight workout, swim laps a couple times a week. Started running again too.

What do mean by “work for“ you if you did IF?
Just wondering if you just shut down if your active both work and non work without enough food to fuel the energy necessary.

I do rarely eat breakfast. My main issue is eating dinner way to late and definitely could eat lighter lunches.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Just wondering if you just shut down if your active both work and non work without enough food to fuel the energy necessary.

I do rarely eat breakfast. My main issue is eating dinner way to late and definitely could eat lighter lunches.
As said above as long you get enough nutrients you’ll be fine. Your body will adjust to to being “hungry” during the day.

For me, the main thing is to not eat too late in the evening and to skip breakfast. If I eat breakfast I’m hungry for lunch like a mad man.

Like today I had that Monte Christo at about 9:30 and did jiu jitsu at noon. I normally train fasted. I felt fine training but after I was done I was super hungry and craving garbage food. Typically after training at noon fasted I’ll get an order of salmon sushi and an order sashimi and I’m fine. Today, ate that after training and right now I’m cooking steaks and can’t fucking wait to eat them.

For me, breakfast is a disaster.

When I cut from 218 to 203 for a competition recently I just didn’t eat during the day at all. Had a normal dinner minus any crap or dessert. The first few days were fucking rough then I just got use to it.

There were a few times when the surf was pumping and I had worked all morning, it’s well into the afternoon, I hadn’t eaten and just knew if didn’t get something in me that my surfing session was going to be a total failure so I just gobbled a few handfuls of trail mix. Washed it all down with a Jarritos sparkling water, packed my lip with a couple of Zyns and I was good as new.

Got down to 200 and started adding in lunches and the first thing I noticed was that I’d be really sluggish a couple hours after lunch, often taking a nap. Now I keep the lunches light, a sushi roll or a couple tacos.

Now I’m down to 195 and maintaining it without even really trying. Just rarely eat any sweets.

As long as what you eat has value you‘ll be fine.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
My dermatologist finally got me to go gluten free in early 2021 and my nummular eczema that morphed into guttate psoriasis went away. No meds. Skin issues are mostly diet related. There's a theory is could be from the glyphosate sprayed on wheat. Nuts and eggs irritate my skin too.
Better to say "skin issues CAN be diet related sometimes"

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
if the last thing i eat is at 7p.m. and the next thing i eat besides a cup of coffee is at 9a.m. is that intermittent fasting?
Yes and no.

Since people burn carbs/fats/protein all the time at a set rate, with an increase as demand requires, the amount of calories one eats during the day is likely a bigger factor to consider than the decrease of calories during the lower metabolic period of sleep. I guess what I am getting at is if you eat heartily during the day, is it really fasting when you don't eat when you are primarily in a lower metabolic state?

Not saying it has no benefit, this no eating for 14 hrs part, but to be, "restricting" calories due to sleeping seems to be stretching the concept of intermittent fasting.

But this is just one person's rambling, hence me hedging with the 'yes and no' answer.

By the way, here (click me) is a metabolic calculator for those interested in such things

Last edited:
Reactions: CutnSnip