Intermittent Fasting

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Trying intermittent fasting for the first time. Not for weight, my weight is fine, but because the last few blood tests that I’ve had showed glucose bordering on pre-diabetes, and fasting is the quickest and surest way to reverse that trend.

After studying it a bit I’ve decided to try:

Daily - 16/8 (16 hours fasting and 8 eating). Basically just skipping breakfast.
Weekly - 24 hour. Basically just dinner.
Monthly - 36 hour. Basically just skipping a whole day of eating.

Started today and it was no problem. What’s your experience? Did you notice any benefits? Any problems, like trouble sleeping?

Reactions: ReForest

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
can sleep fine as long as i have dinner. if no dinner i will wake up in the middle of the night and stay up

• Sad
Reactions: estreet

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The best way to combat glucose is to build more muscle tissue. More surface area = more glucose receptors = improved insulin sensitivity and glucose utilization

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I've been intermittent fasting since I was a kid. For no other reason than convenience. I eat more than one meal a day maybe two days a week. Three meals a day maybe twice a month. Black coffee in the AM and water all day. Dinner about 5:00.
Probably more like how sapiens evolved to eat. If you’ve eaten reasonably well you should consequently be positioned to avoid many of the common ailments in later life, such as diabetes and related issues.

I could count the meals I’ve missed in my life on one hand. Don’t think I could do more than what I’ve listed in the OP without losing too much weight.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
The best way to combat glucose is to build more muscle tissue. More surface area = more glucose receptors = improved insulin sensitivity and glucose utilization
I know that’s helpful but it’s definitely not the best way. For instance, I've done resistance training my whole life and am well-muscled, though not huge. In order to gain muscle mass I would have to spend significantly more time at the gym, and the benefit in terms of blood glucose wouldn't be that much. Fasting, on the other hand, is physically effortless, literally just regularly skipping a meal or two, and has a far greater impact.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Been doing it since October. It has changed the shape of my body. Ive lost so much fat. My face and stomach look so much better than a year ago. I thought it would boost my testosterone because I read so many articles about it. My testosterone has not moved more than 30 points since April 2021. I feel good. It took a couple weeks to adjust but easy now. I eat at 1230 and 7. High protein diet. But I eat the fuck out of beets, spinach and raw honey.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I'm beginning to think you dont need alot of testosterone. Not sure I could want or have sex any more than I do now. Totally convinced now all these supplenents they claim boost t are worthless. I'm done buying them.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm beginning to think you dont need alot of testosterone. Not sure I could want or have sex any more than I do now. Totally convinced now all these supplenents they claim boost t are worthless. I'm done buying them.
Testosterone isn't a remarkable contributor to sex drive. Diet or supplements aren't going to raise it....although lowering body fat could allow it to increase as being a fat slob is tough on your endocrine system.

As far as how much you need goes....you need what you need. If your free testosterone is abnormally low and feel like you may have some symptoms of hypogonadism then perhaps a boost could do you well but there should be more to it than just a blood test.

Reactions: grapedrink

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I am still at 450. I dont think any doctor will prescribe TRT until u drop below 300. Are you saying its possible to get a boost for like a month?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I am still at 450. I dont think any doctor will prescribe TRT until u drop below 300. Are you saying its possible to get a boost for like a month?
You wouldn't see any benefits in a month.....the number you want to pay attention to is your free testosterone. This is the testosterone your body has available. You are right in the middle of normal for total T....but if you're free T is down in the single digits you may want to look into that.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Testosterone isn't a remarkable contributor to sex drive. Diet or supplements aren't going to raise it....although lowering body fat could allow it to increase as being a fat slob is tough on your endocrine system.

As far as how much you need goes....you need what you need. If your free testosterone is abnormally low and feel like you may have some symptoms of hypogonadism then perhaps a boost could do you well but there should be more to it than just a blood test.
Being around hot chicks ups sex drive.

Last edited:

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
The times I have done it, I eat continuously morning - afternoon, but cut-off is about 4-5pm, and then no food intake until breakfast the next day.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Intermittent fasting is good for the body. Lots of peer-reviewed studies that it can be diabetes preventive. Lots of ways to do this without carb counting, calorie. counting, or going on some offshoot diet.
A. Have at least 8 or 12 hours between "meals". Why "meals"? Because we think of a meal as a big plate with lots of foods on it. But it really is any intake.
B. A small breakfast works fine, and can be one food group. Or even skip breakfast. Don't believe the old wive's tale of "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Totally bogus. Probably wise for children off to school, but otherwise breakfast isn't necessary. Coffee might be necessary! LOL
C. Do take in plenty of fluids in the waking time.
D. Whether you eat breakfast or not, the interval needs to be 8 or 12 hours. Let the body utilize the glucose available AND Mobilize its storage energy. That's the key physiology to activate. Constantly pouring food/energy into the gut doesn't allow those backup systems to get utilized. So, eat breakfast and wait 8 hrs plus. Or if you skip breakfast wait 8hrs plus from that 3 AM burrito you stuffed in your pie hole.
E. Next meal, vary it day by day. You do NOT need all 4 food groups every day. Another old wive's tale. Nutrition is a multiday venture. Fruits some days, veggies other days, meat products here and there, dairy here and there etc.
F. And again plenty of fluids throughout the day and evening.

Train the body to tolerate hunger, not starvation, but stretch out meals. Some people get "hangry," but they need to learn to deal with it, too. Every time you're a little bit hungry, you don't need to rush for the snack cabinet!

One caveat, if you are prone to hypoglycemia you may need tiny snacks as you get to the 3 or 4 hour post meal valley of bonking...maybe a handful of nuts or a bit of fruit couldn't hurt.