Interesting read - progressive but nonpartisan

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Why do you think the social distancing will be enacted forever?

What is the motivation?
Have you seen the evidence and anecdotes of Casa and other medical professionals how every illness has gone down?

People think they should live a risk free, coddled life, and the government will be happy to provide that through authoritarian rules

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
The big fear is that they're going to close down lots of things at the drop of a hat any time there's a bug, not the full lockdown, but enough to be unsavory

Otherwise, there's going to be dumb social distance and mask rules that remain maybe forever
ok, let’s be realistic

This is costing everyone shitloads of money

do you think anyone really wants to repeat this?

also, today it is a novel event

In a year it will be old news

we will understand how to deal with it better and be better prepared

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
ok, let’s be realistic

This is costing everyone shitloads of money

do you think anyone really wants to repeat this?

also, today it is a novel event

In a year it will be old news

we will understand how to deal with it better and be better prepared
And we'll see from experts that the best way to deal with it is lockdowns.

The fact that the majority of the population is not only on board with these regulations, but also cheering them on shows how quickly we can lose it all

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
And we'll see from experts that the best way to deal with it is lockdowns.

The fact that the majority of the population is not only on board with these regulations, but also cheering them on shows how quickly we can lose it all
the lockdown is the best way to deal with it because we have no viable alternative right now

that is not permanent

there is a massive financial incentive to find another solution

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
the lockdown is the best way to deal with it because we have no viable alternative right now

that is not permanent

there is a massive financial incentive to find another solution
I know the full one is not permanent, but the precedent will remain but the real problem will be remnants that will stay in place forever

And yes, there's a massive financial incentive to prevent this but that won't prevent the next novel virus.

Maybe we go forward with "too many" hospital rooms and a glut of nurses and doctors now since the biggest scare was always an overloading of hospitals

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I know the full one is not permanent, but the precedent will remain but the real problem will be remnants that will stay in place forever

And yes, there's a massive financial incentive to prevent this but that won't prevent the next novel virus.

Maybe we go forward with "too many" hospital rooms and a glut of nurses and doctors now since the biggest scare was always an overloading of hospitals
theres a huge middle ground between full lockdown and f it

we are going to land somewhere in the middle eventually but we are guarding against the worst case scenario right now

If we were better prepared we wouldn’t even be doing what we’re doing

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017

Here’s how unprepared we are for this

there’s less than 300 ventilators available in my entire state, for a population of about 1.1M

it would be insane for our governor not to order shelter in place with these limited resources

Reactions: afoaf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
theres a huge middle ground between full lockdown and f it

we are going to land somewhere in the middle eventually but we are guarding against the worst case scenario right now

If we were better prepared we wouldn’t even be doing what we’re doing
And that middle is the loss of rights I'm talking about. And I'm not even opposed to it being urged, I have an issue with it being enforced by the state.

And sure, I agree that if we were better prepared we wouldn't be doing this, but what does better prepared look like?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Here’s how unprepared we are for this

there’s less than 300 ventilators available in my entire state, for a population of about 1.1M

it would be insane for our governor not to order shelter in place with these limited resources
Don't ventilators kill about 50% of people who use them?

Don't only the worst of the worst cases need them?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Okay.

Lets break this down:

Do you think any of the lefties you engage with here think this?
At the heart of their arguments, yes

First is the free healthcare thing, then all the rest of the social safety nets, and then the support of every other license, regulation, and permit that protects people from themselves

• Dislike
Reactions: afoaf

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
did the constitution say something about right to assembly at the beach?
Dumb.

If you think the government has the unlimited right, under its so called "emergency powers", to disregard and suspend our constitutional and legal rights, you couldn't be more wrong. Just watch what happens when this is all over. There is going to be a tidal wave of litigation for the damages caused to businesses and individuals by these government actions. And even if the government somehow convinces the court that it had the right to use its emergency powers in such a manner, it still doesn't absolve the government from liability for damages for those actions. Demanding that a restaurant close down is in effect a seizure and a taking, for which the government must pay just compensation.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
At the heart of their arguments, yes
I disagree.

Those are red herrings on your part.

Here is the issue:

The libs' argument is that social separation in the short term is more effective and efficient than no social separation and letting the virus burn through the population.

I really don't know. I'm not an expert in economics or virology.

And the people who are pro let the virus kill at will who post here don't know either.

As always, I envy the certainty of the True Believers.

You probably go through life with more ease than I.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
And that middle is the loss of rights I'm talking about. And I'm not even opposed to it being urged, I have an issue with it being enforced by the state.

And sure, I agree that if we were better prepared we wouldn't be doing this, but what does better prepared look like?
id like to be able to drive 200mph on the highway. Why should you care?

better prepared means the ability to deploy widespread testing, isolating the people who test positive and having sufficient capacity to deal with the trauma cases

Ideally we would be farther along the path to achieving this but it will happen

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Don't ventilators kill about 50% of people who use them?

Don't only the worst of the worst cases need them?
my brother in law is an otherwise very healthy early 30s guy with asthma

One of my colleagues is a healthy 40 yr old woman with asthma

should these people die because we can’t get our sh!t together?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
my brother in law is an otherwise very healthy early 30s guy with asthma

One of my colleagues is a healthy 40 yr old woman with asthma

should these people die because we can’t get our sh!t together?
Where did I say that?

These are the people who need to quarantine themselves

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
id like to be able to drive 200mph on the highway. Why should you care?

better prepared means the ability to deploy widespread testing, isolating the people who test positive and having sufficient capacity to deal with the trauma cases

Ideally we would be farther along the path to achieving this but it will happen
Terrible comparison

And yes, I agree we need to be able to deploy widespread testing, but how can we develop a test if we don't know what the next novel virus will be?