Interesting news: Bali travel advice flawed

Jun 1, 2004
Bali travel advice flawed: inquiry

By Tom Allard and Cynthia Banham
August 13, 2004

Travel advisories provided by the Federal Government before the Bali bombings were inadequate and should have been clearer about the risks on the island widely seen as a "safe haven", a Senate inquiry has found.

The inquiry into the events leading up to the blasts in October 2002 that killed 202 people, including 88 Australians, found the main flaw was stating that Bali was "calm" and tourist services were operating "normally".

These assurances, the Senate committee's majority report said, were made in direct response to frequent inquiries from travellers and reinforced the benign impression of security in Bali held by many Australians.

"The advice sent the wrong message," said the Senate committee's chairman, Steve Hutchins, especially as the Bali references followed warnings about other areas in Indonesia that were deemed dangerous.

The inquiry also found fault with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade travel warning because it did not say, as intelligence available at the time had warned, that Australians were being specifically targeted.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

It queried why the intelligence services did not assess Bali as more vulnerable to attack than other parts of Indonesia, given that about 200,000 Australian visited each year and terrorists had already indicated that bars, restaurants and other tourist hotspots were likely targets.

The Opposition-dominated inquiry concluded there was no specific intelligence warning of an attack "that would have provided an opportunity to prevent the Bali bombing".

A spokesman for the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Alexander Downer, said: "This report finally puts to rest outrageous claims that the Government had prior warning of the Bali attack."

The inquiry called for another investigation into the matter, noting it did not have full access to the relevant intelligence...

For more: www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/12/1092102599277.html?oneclick=true

adikgede

OTF status
Sep 1, 2004
GMT +8
mtn,

The article above is about Australian foriegn service, not the US State Department. But if you subscribe to Jakarta Alert from the US Embassy in Indonesia the advice would have been pretty much the same. Those guys are in a kind of damned if you do damned if you don't position. They catch a lot of flack, from the host country, if they warn people about things that never happen.

Political Violence (terrorism) is a contemporary reality that people have to live with. Visiting Indonesia your chances are greater to suffer Sun Burn, Reef Rash, Bali Belly, Traffic Accident, Dengue Fever, Malaria, Tyhpus, Hepititus, or an STD.

Indo Surf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 2, 2004
Indonesia
Visit site
Visiting Indonesia your chances are greater to suffer Sun Burn, Reef Rash, Bali Belly, Traffic Accident, Dengue Fever, Malaria, Tyhpus, Hepititus, or an STD.
N0, you are far more likely to suffer STOKE, BLISS and JOY from the best tube rides of your Life! Over 2 Million tourists have been to Bali since the bomb in 2002. 2004 has been a great season, record numbers of tourists having a great time.

adikgede

OTF status
Sep 1, 2004
GMT +8
N0, you are far more likely to suffer STOKE, BLISS and JOY from the best tube rides of your Life! Over 2 Million tourists have been to Bali since the bomb in 2002. 2004 has been a great season, record numbers of tourists having a great time.
Yeh well I was talking about the downside. Even after living here for seven years I have only suffered sunn burn and dengue fever.

I wish I could say I had been anywhere in the world, besides Indonesia, where a local said take it its yours (of a wave).

Indo Surf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 2, 2004
Indonesia
Visit site
Yep, Balinese surfers can be very friendly, full of stoke, sharing waves (especially the older guys who've seen it all go down over the years). I head back next week, can't wait.