Inguinal hernia surgery.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Finally got tired of wearing the 'hernia belt', surgery scheduled for a week from tomorrow. Went for the pre-op appointment yesterday, nurse said my surgeon is 'very good'. Gonna be done laparoscopically. Got a backpacking trip in the Sierras scheduled for August, should be good to go by then.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Finally got tired of wearing the 'hernia belt', surgery scheduled for a week from tomorrow. Went for the pre-op appointment yesterday, nurse said my surgeon is 'very good'. Gonna be done laparoscopically. Got a backpacking trip in the Sierras scheduled for August, should be good to go by then.
OK, so here's the report...left the house at 0530 to be at the hospital by 0700. Got the IV stuck in the back of my hand...the surgeon came by to see if I had any questions...I did, like 'what's actually gonna happen here?'..He told me there would be 3 incisions, one for the camera/balloon (the ballon gets inflated to open things up to be able to see). The other two to put in basically extensions of his fingers so he can do the work. Fackin' fascinating. Then at 0930 I was rolled into the OR and they started sticking probes etc., the anesthesiologist put an oxygen mask on. About this time I thought, 'this would probably not be a good time to tell them I had to pee'...well, that was the last thought I had...next thing I know I'm groggily waking up in recovery, probably a couple hours later. The surgeon personally called my wife (my driver) and told her I was out and everything went well. I thought that was a nice touch. Then I was rolled back into my pre-op stall and the wife came in and we hung out for an hour or so...she giggled a lot 'cause I was still groggy and saying goofy stuff like 'did I already tell you that?' 'Yes, you did' etc. Oh, and I told the current nurse that I loved her..and I meant it, I loved 'em all, they were fantastic. Can't say enough good things about nurses. So she told my wife to go get the car and bring it up front and she'd wheel me out in a wheelchair...good idea, I was still unsteady walking. Got to the car and my wife had a burger/fries/chocolate shake waiting...jah bless her, I hadn't eaten since the night before..one of the best cold burgers I"ve ever had. Home now, a little pain from the incisions, slept fine on Ibuprofen and Tylenol, didn't need the Norco. Doc said I can't lift over 10 pounds for a week or so...so how am I gonna pee??

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
OK, so here's the report...left the house at 0530 to be at the hospital by 0700. Got the IV stuck in the back of my hand...the surgeon came by to see if I had any questions...I did, like 'what's actually gonna happen here?'..He told me there would be 3 incisions, one for the camera/balloon (the ballon gets inflated to open things up to be able to see). The other two to put in basically extensions of his fingers so he can do the work. Fackin' fascinating. Then at 0930 I was rolled into the OR and they started sticking probes etc., the anesthesiologist put an oxygen mask on. About this time I thought, 'this would probably not be a good time to tell them I had to pee'...well, that was the last thought I had...next thing I know I'm groggily waking up in recovery, probably a couple hours later. The surgeon personally called my wife (my driver) and told her I was out and everything went well. I thought that was a nice touch. Then I was rolled back into my pre-op stall and the wife came in and we hung out for an hour or so...she giggled a lot 'cause I was still groggy and saying goofy stuff like 'did I already tell you that?' 'Yes, you did' etc. Oh, and I told the current nurse that I loved her..and I meant it, I loved 'em all, they were fantastic. Can't say enough good things about nurses. So she told my wife to go get the car and bring it up front and she'd wheel me out in a wheelchair...good idea, I was still unsteady walking. Got to the car and my wife had a burger/fries/chocolate shake waiting...jah bless her, I hadn't eaten since the night before..one of the best cold burgers I"ve ever had. Home now, a little pain from the incisions, slept fine on Ibuprofen and Tylenol, didn't need the Norco. Doc said I can't lift over 10 pounds for a week or so...so how am I gonna pee??
Wishing you a speedy recovery. :cheers:

Reactions: Icu812

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Gah, second inguinal hernia appeared a couple of weeks ago, other side this time. Bulging and pain getting rapidly worse. Staying on my feet all day is becoming a problem. Saw the general today, appointment with surgeon in a week.

Has anyone tried a truss? I need something that can get me through the work days until my op.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Gah, second inguinal hernia appeared a couple of weeks ago, other side this time. Bulging and pain getting rapidly worse. Staying on my feet all day is becoming a problem. Saw the general today, appointment with surgeon in a week.

Has anyone tried a truss? I need something that can get me through the work days until my op.
I got one of these and it worked pretty well...I just tossed it out yesterday because my surgery worked out great, don't need it anymore...bring on the surf!

Reactions: bluengreen

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

I can't wear a truss but a jock stap helped and it was wearable

SMG

Jul 8, 2006
I had right side open repair in 2017. I currently have a left side inguinal, umbilical, and epigastric that my doc is going to repair all at the same time laparoscopically. Only condition is I have to get a colonoscopy first, I'm 52 and no prior screening. I'm trying to plan a strike mission prior to the scope before I'm laid up for a few weeks...

Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Have you guys surfed with a truss? I've been abstaining, but think I'll get back in the water if it doesn't complicate surgery.

Edit: Doc said go for it. Also, open surgery required since I've already had lapro. Can't do lapro twice, apparently.

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Open surgery is a bit gnarlier than my lapro. Pain levels much higher. After a week of recovery, I'm just now able to be on my feet for a few hours at a time. Big-ass ugly incision. Doc says 6 weeks until I'm cleared for exercise. 1/7 would not recommend.

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

SMG

Jul 8, 2006
I had surgery yesterday. Laparoscopy for left groin and two midline pops, ended up in there for 5 hours. They needed to make 6 ports as the procedure was a little more challenging due to my lean body mass. It's pretty painful and only position of comfort is on my back. I needed a hydrocodone this morning to take the edge off.
Doc told me I can do whatever I want with a 10# weight restriction for 4-5 weeks.
I had an open repair on the other side about 6 years ago and so far they're pretty comparable, we'll see if the recovery is shorter but at least for now I just want to lay on the couch.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Open surgery is a bit gnarlier than my lapro. Pain levels much higher. After a week of recovery, I'm just now able to be on my feet for a few hours at a time. Big-ass ugly incision. Doc says 6 weeks until I'm cleared for exercise. 1/7 would not recommend.
I had open.

Open is better long term than lapro.