Inflation

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
was that the Great Reset?

I hope goingoutside has a bible verse about inflation

Ezekial 45 said:
“Thus says the Lord God: Enough, O princes of Israel! Put away violence and oppression, and execute justice and righteousness. Cease your evictions of my people, declares the Lord God. “You shall have just balances, a just ephah, and a just bath. The ephah and the bath shall be of the same measure, the bath containing one tenth of a homer, and the ephah one tenth of a homer; the homer shall be the standard measure. The shekel shall be twenty gerahs; twenty shekels plus twenty-five shekels plus fifteen shekels shall be your mina.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Certain things are worth buying premium product. Beer and wine, for example. Other things, go ahead and buy cheap, it really doesn't matter.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
[life] will leave you living on a budget and having to make decisions on what to go without.
I been practicing doing that now.

I'm pretty much done with consuming stuff. I been casting off possessions lately.

You don't really need very much.

I like lifting weights and playing guitar and that is free.

I eat beans and oatmeal during the week and really expensive pasture raised beef on the weekend.

I can switch over to just beans and oatmeal when I have to.

Everyone should read the stoics.

Reactions: hal9000

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I been practicing doing that now.

I'm pretty much done with consuming stuff. I been casting off possessions lately.

You don't really need very much.

I like lifting weights and playing guitar and that is free.

I eat beans and oatmeal during the week and really expensive pasture raised beef on the weekend.

I can switch over to just beans and oatmeal when I have to.

Everyone should read the stoics.
Same here. I'm selling cars and consolidating. I want to unwind everything in the next 3-5 years and just fish. A friend of mine retired at 59 a couple years ago. I went to visit him over the summer and you could smell the stench of well being coming off him. He sold everything, paid cash for a house in Bonita Springs on a golf course with a private marina in his neighborhood and bought a boat. He says retiring early caused him to make a few lifestyle concessions but looking back he said it's unbelievable how unimportant "stuff" is.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Same here. I'm selling cars and consolidating. I want to unwind everything in the next 3-5 years and just fish. A friend of mine retired at 59 a couple years ago. I went to visit him over the summer and you could smell the stench of well being coming off him. He sold everything, paid cash for a house in Bonita Springs on a golf course with a private marina in his neighborhood and bought a boat. He says retiring early caused him to make a few lifestyle concessions but looking back he said it's unbelievable how unimportant "stuff" is.
SW Florida is a good+ place for inshore/nearshore fishing but if you want bluewater trolling for toads, unless you have a large and/or fast boat with a serious gas budget, there are (IMHO) far better options.

The surf is as fucking dismal as the flight options out of Tampa.

Place has red tide and some pollution-related algae problems from time to time.

Reactions: Rlacey111

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The young guys here should take note of this pattern.

This is where you end up.

But I think you have to consume stuff to realize that is not what you need.

I think it's hard to work full time after 60. You are done. You might have something to give because of experience. But you can't do the grind like you did in your 30s and 40s.

Young people don't take you seriously either.

And that's okay.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
SW Florida is a good+ place for inshore/nearshore fishing but if you want bluewater trolling for toads, unless you have a large and/or fast boat with a serious gas budget, there are (IMHO) far better options.

The surf is as fucking dismal as the flight options out of Tampa.

Place has red tide and some pollution-related algae problems from time to time.
I think it used to be the cheaper alternative but in the past year or so the prices for a water adjacent home South of the Cape Coral Bridge to the Everglades is ridiculous right now.

The lack of structure on the Gulf bottom seems to me as a west coast US guy to be a huge impediment to regularly landing anything you would want to eat in a reasonable amount of time.... and spending the day searching on a equipped bay boat dodging weather in the gulf doesn't seem like a good time. Yellowfin Boats have some of the most beautiful lines you'll see but to get something around 33-40 feet you're looking at an expensive mortgage for fishing.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
The young guys here should take note of this pattern.

This is where you end up.

But I think you have to consume stuff to realize that is not what you need.

I think it's hard to work full time after 60. You are done. You might have something to give because of experience. But you can't do the grind like you did in your 30s and 40s.

Young people don't take you seriously either.

And that's okay.
Haha, enjoy your retirements.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I think it used to be the cheaper alternative but in the past year or so the prices for a water adjacent home South of the Cape Coral Bridge to the Everglades is ridiculous right now.

The lack of structure on the Gulf bottom seems to me as a west coast US guy to be a huge impediment to regularly landing anything you would want to eat in a reasonable amount of time.... and spending the day searching on a equipped bay boat dodging weather in the gulf doesn't seem like a good time. Yellowfin Boats have some of the most beautiful lines you'll see but to get something around 33-40 feet you're looking at an expensive mortgage for fishing.
It's similar in Texas shallow bays and estuaries. Around here the fish like to commute in schools.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

There are wrecks/reefs of that area with tasty snapper and grouper species. And permit that'll fight like hell. Snook/redfish/trout/flounder are considered good-eating fish - if it's legal to keep them. Between red tide, algae, and polar vortexes nuking the snook, there are times you aren't keeping anything.

Yellowfins are sharp but there is 0.0 point to owning a boat like that in that part of Florida. That's a great Keys boat if you don't care about flats fishing. That's a great Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach boat for Bahamas runs. Splendid boat for the Western Panhandle.

That part of Florida the draw is permit on the wrecks, tarpon/snook on the beaches/passes, and inshore/flats species on the inside, and you WILL be running aground in a 33-40 foot center console the instant you leave a dredged channel.

If you don't have experience walking your boat off sandbars and mudflats, you're probably going to get it.

That part of Florida is so mellow you could do most of that fishing from a 17' flats skiff that draws less water than most noseriders. An 18 foot Mako or a bay boat in the 20 foot class would work well. The latest hotness is spot-lock trolling motors, because anchors are a pain in the ass.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
When you exit the Caloosahatchee into the gulf how far do you have to go to get on Snapper or grouper?

My buddy has a 282 Sportsman and loves it. Says it's plenty of boat for what he needs. I remember looking at the depth at one point and we were in 18 inches of water with the trolling motor moving us along.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
As my current lover likes to say, "You only teach two days a week. You are already retired!"

I say "No, babe, I'm really ready to up the ante. I'm talking zero days a week."
Not working is way better than working, if you can afford it.

Reactions: mundus