Indonesia this March / April

Jan 29, 2020
Hey,
I'd like a bit of advice. I'm in Rote in Indonesia now, and I'm supposed to be flying back to Ireland on the 30th March. My brother is telling me I should come home because if I get sick out here the health system is sh!t, and if they stop flights to Europe I might get stranded here for months.

I'm thinking things are much worse in Europe, and if I stay out here for the next few months I can surf a lot of breaks with zero crowds. I've just come back from Nias, so I was thinking of heading back there, or maybe heading to HT's in the Mentawais.

But also I don't want be here if things get out of control here and I can't get back to Ireland.
All advice welcome because I really don't know what to do.

Thanks
Ross

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Just stay if you can, the season hasn't even begun. Go back to Ireland :ROFLMAO:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
better of being on Bali on the Bukit.

offshore in the trades and easier access to civilisation if things go truly pear shaped.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
heard govt postponed gland opening
possible mentawaii and boats cancelled as well
barren joey canceled their first trip

visa on arrival stops in two days

things are getting interesting over here

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
nah, but it could happen.

You?
Went out to eat Friday night and it was humming in Oceanside.

I got the message Saturday that we need to distance ourselves.

So I been inside since Saturday.

I'm remote teaching but that has mostly been paper work and doing course design for the next 6 weeks of class. Shifting to an online format from an in class format is a big change.

The kids are handling it really well.

Doing what I ask them.

I waited until now to start drinking 6:00 pm.

I can see how this would cause lots of people to drink as a self regulation strategy.

You're kind of out in the country aren't you?

It's busy where I am.

Lots of sick humans.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'm out in the country , but not really.

Next door to and working in one of the main tourist hotspots in Aus. Lots of OS travellers passing through.

I live a pretty simple, sheltered life though, so not too worried personally.

Reactions: Autoprax
Jan 29, 2020
Just to update in case anyone interested. I'm back on the Bukit of Bali now. Bali actually seems busier than the last time I was here in early February.. I was down at Uluwatu before sunset and there was 65 people in the water.

I had decided to head to Sumatra but Singapore and KL aren't letting any tourists in, so it looking like I can't get another visa. My one is up on 31th March. Also Indonesia are stopping visa exemptions and VOA from Friday.

I'm not looking forward to going back to Ireland. My family at home say things have pretty much shut down, and the atmosphere is very tense

I was looking for a way to transit through Singapore or KL without leaving the airport before Friday but haven't found a way yet. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
possible visa run to bangkok is only place
but you need some sort of dr.s note to get back in

not sure exactly - but things are changing by the hour

Jan 29, 2020
I found a flight with Jetstar on Friday 20th from Bali - Medan transiting in Singapore with out leaving the airport. It lands in Medan on the 20th at 18.40pm. According to the Indonesian Embassy in London and the new visa measures:

10. These measures will take effect on Friday 20 March at 00.00 Western Indonesia Time (GMT+7)

Does this mean midnight Thursday, or midnight Friday? I've emailed them and I'm waiting for a reply.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
for voa that will work

good luck

just got my visa approved at immigration

who knows in another 7 weeks what will be happening - hoping immigration reverts back to being corrupt and pay to play starts again

Jan 29, 2020
I was just reading there that 1000 Chinese tourists have gotten Emergency Stay Permits which allows you to stay one month after your Visa expires. I assume they'll have to make this available to everyone who gets stuck here now.

Jan 29, 2020
Hey Truth,
Sorry, but I didn't make it, I'm on the Bukit right now.
I'm going to apply for one of these Emergency Stay Permits to see what happens.
It's busy here, I counted 105 in the water at Uluwatu at sunset yesterday.
Are you in Nias now? Is it busy there?
Ross