Indo Next May - Not The Ments

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Planning a trip to Indo for next May for ~10 days and am interested in exploring options that are not the mentawai -- from what I have heard from friends who have gone, the waves can be insane but you are not going to be the only surfers there by any means. I am not super into spending $$$ and traveling around the world to surf with a bunch of other people, so am researching other options.

Ideal trip is to get barreled repeatedly in head high waves. Crew does not mind roughing it a bit more and being more self guided if the tradeoff is emptier waves. Consistency is important as I also don't want to go around the world to surf a waist high wave.

Anyone have any intel on Sumbawa (looks like good waves, more remote), Krui (beach breaks too?), or Sumba?

Also, feel free to tell me to just go to the ments. Thank you!

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Sumba is undoubtedly one of the most consistent locations in Indian Ocean Indonesia, with loads of swell - the problem is, being further south from the equator, it gets more wind - relentless SE tradewinds from June to September.

The great thing about the Mentawai Islands from a surfing perspective is they are right on the equator, as the actual line goes through Kepulauan Batu, or the Telo Islands, just north of the Mentawai.

Being right on the equator, there is much less wind than Sumba and other locations like Bali, Sumbawa and Timor and in the early season of March and April and again in late season of September and October, northwest winds can be as common as southeast winds.

Reactions: thekadvang

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
10 days is too little for wanting to be off beaten path
Krui - south sumatra could work but getting to/fro within that small window most likely wont be worth the effort - can u add a few more days?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
10 days is too little for wanting to be off beaten path
Krui - south sumatra could work but getting to/fro within that small window most likely wont be worth the effort - can u add a few more days?
Should have said -- picturing 10 days fully for surf, can absolutely spend time travelling on either end

also heard good things about ASU near Nias or Panaitan in West Java

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Being right on the equator, there is much less wind than Sumba and other locations like Bali, Sumbawa and Timor and in the early season of March and April and again in late season of September and October, northwest winds can be as common as southeast winds.
IIRC I read that if you are going to split time between the regions, March/April is better in the East and Oct/Nov for northern Sumatra. Can't speak from experience.

Timor always looked intriguing and relatively off radar.

Reactions: thekadvang

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
That kind of timing is pretty tight for an Indo trip, especially if you want some truly off the beaten path stuff which would probably mean the middle of Java, places like Cimaja, or Turtles. I believe there are some other solid waves in those zones. Probably would take some serious exploring.

Nias won't be uncrowded but you'll get waves, and definitely score. Asu the waves look mediocre and it's far away. Panatian you'll want to just pass on. Not a trip of the faint of heart.

Sumbawa I haven't been to outside of the lakey peak area. That could fit the bill for time to travel, manageable crowds, and a sense of adventure.

The next time I head to indo I'll probably just head straight to G-Land and stay there for a week or two. It won't be completely empty but it's not overun with crowds either. The vibe is very chill and the playing field is huge. G-Land is epic.

I'd also consider a land camp in the Ments. Did HT's a couple of years ago and there we plenty of uncrowded windows between boats. Never felt like there was a shortage of waves.