Increasing Paddle Power / Endurance

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
I'm a 30 year old female and I have a pretty strong paddle and pretty good endurance (surf for 3+ hours at good intensity)

However, I find that I get a little overwhelmed when it gets big out. I wish I could be a bit stronger. Today I kept getting washed around (although I was tired/hungry before I paddled out so that might have something to do with it).

I'm super light and lean but I feel like my body is capped out at how much muscle it seems to want to build for surfing.

Is there anything to do to make my paddle stronger? What about rest days (maybe I'm surfing too much)?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
paddling out when the surf gets bigger is part strength/endurance and part knowledge. the later being just as important. first off being comfortable in the ocean when there's lot of water moving around. that skill can come from doing some bodysurfing where there's no board to keep you afloat. the next is watching the break and knowing where to paddle out. may come from time of surfing a break often to learn it's eccentricities. or just being observant that there's a current so better walk up the beach and factor the drift into the approach.

as far as straight endurance, paddling is the best training for paddling. get a longboard and on small/flat days just go for a mile + paddle. work on technique. do some sprints. one thing i do is paddle as fast as i can for 100 strokes.

surfflexx

Nep status
Jan 28, 2004
usa
Visit site

My recommendations have nothing to do with your paddling skills or nutrition. The following is just my thoughts regarding strength training for surfers.
Power is mass time vs. velocity. To increase power do plyometric, slam medicine balls, splints, jumps etc.
Endurance strength is the ability to achieve high level of strength training with high repetitions and sets.
One can do both power and strength endurance at an advanced level.
Strength training is the key and foundation of both. A solid strength program that includes a period hypertrophy training might be what you’re missing. Paddleing harder and longer is good but some point will have a limit. Get stronger and you'll paddle longer and harder. Good luck!

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
hey hgsouth,

Here's a good article that helped me ...

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/surfline-health--fitness-paddle-power-advice-from-the-worlds-best-on-how-to-maximize-your-stroke_41384/

One thing i've learned from other sports such as rock climbing and it applies to paddling - is that it is not all about strength - technique plays a big part - if you're technique is poor - then chances are you are burning/wasting too much energy. As i've gotten older - i've tried to surf smarter (i.e. time your paddle outs, be in the right spot to catch a wave, etc.) and focus on technique versus trying to out paddle some twenty-something for the next set wave. Hope that helps.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
A bikini shot would help us better assess your muscles and understand what kind of workouts you will need.

Joking around, utter respect.

When you say you kept getting washing around, was that when duckdiving? We may have to see a picture of you duckdiving too, might be a technique issue... pictures are really important.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
flyinraptr said:
hey hgsouth,

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/surfline-health--fitness-paddle-power-advice-from-the-worlds-best-on-how-to-maximize-your-stroke_41384/
another thing to add, paddling back out after catching a wave....relax. even strokes and a slower pass to conserve energy. then when going for a wave can sprint paddle.

figuring it was a bigger swell and lots of wind, i think this could be just as much about board choice than paddling endurance

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
stu dog said:
flyinraptr said:
hey hgsouth,

another thing to add, paddling back out after catching a wave....relax. even strokes and a slower pass to conserve energy. then when going for a wave can sprint paddle.

figuring it was a bigger swell and lots of wind, i think this could be just as much about board choice than paddling endurance
I don't think that would work in some beach breaks when there's a big but short period swell in the water. If you don't paddle back out like a mad man you're gonna be washed back to shore. You either beat the current or you don't surf.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
brukuns said:
stu dog said:
flyinraptr said:
hey hgsouth,

I don't think that would work in some beach breaks when there's a big but short period swell in the water. If you don't paddle back out like a mad man you're gonna be washed back to shore. You either beat the current or you don't surf.
oh it works great at beach breaks, especially the one i surf at cause there's usually a rip sucking out to sea so hardly have to paddle back at all.

Jun 14, 2013
Ak, NZ
Give the photo requests a miss guys.

Some of the beaches here are a pain when bigger, sets wash through, rips start and disappear, move up/down the beach every 30 minutes...
Some people like inside drainers and I get that, but I hate the currents close to shore so tend to try get out the back away from that and take the bigger but perhaps fatter waves. I always get trapped on the inside for a bit though and mates laugh at me. :)

Biggest pain is having to run a bigger board because of the water moving and paddling required... then dealing with a slightly bigger board than required on the actual wave. I haven't found a compromise yet that doesn't tire or frustrate me.
Like paddling to Impossibles from Bingin... what a drag haha.

Doing pull ups recently has been interesting, definitely stronger back which has been good for paddling, and whitewater, but need to keep doing the stretching as otherwise it can get a bit stiff in long sessions.

As said above, sometimes finding the easier way out, paddling wide around the point, going for second+ wave not first, etc all helps.
Some sessions it seems just luck into easy waves... the nightmare paddlethons seem to be easing..